Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Charge Teachers During the Summer
DaycareMommmy 05:43 PM 02-19-2012
I have been in business for 6 years and recently have been getting inquiries from teachers. They want to know if I will charge them full price during the summer when they are off. As a provider I believe if your child is holding a space then you should pay but I want to make sure that I am being fair.
itlw8 05:48 PM 02-19-2012
my teachers switch to p/t for the summer and they alternate days so I can have easy days or take a school age child if I want.
Crazy8 06:24 PM 02-19-2012
I know this isn't the popular answer but I do not charge them for the summer. I honestly just can't -there are SO MANY daycares around here with plenty of openings and you can pull them out for a month or two and restart with no fees, etc. that I would just be putting myself out of the running if I charged. I know its not fair but I really just avoid taking teachers for this reason. The family I posted about a few days ago that wants to come back is a teacher and that is one of the reasons I am really hesitating (among many other reasons though).
Meeko 06:54 PM 02-19-2012
I really don't care what the parents do for a living. I just care about MY living and getting paid a consistent wage.

I have 16 day care spots. They are a set price per month. Payment must be paid every single month to hold that spot.

No if's, but's or and's.

If that doesn't work for a teacher, they do not sign up with me.

Teachers still pay their cell phone bill year round, their cable bill year round. It doesn't change just because they use less minutes for a few months, or watch less TV over the summer.

There should be no difference just because they use less day care hours. I am open. I am working. And if I am holding open a place for their kids....I get paid.

There is no reason (other than fear of losing clients....which I see as a form of blackmail) why any provider should cut rates/hold places for teachers.

Most teachers still get paid year round even if they are at home. (and if they don't, then they need to plan and budget accordingly. It is not other peoples responsibility to accommodate them)

I have had teachers enroll kids before. They happily pay....year after year.

I have had teachers call expecting "special" rates and find out they are treated the same as every other working person. So they go elsewhere. Make no difference to me.
SilverSabre25 07:01 PM 02-19-2012
50% for the summer and they have the ability to bring their child up to two days per week--set days.

Pretty sure most daycares around here do about the same thing.
Sunchimes 07:17 PM 02-19-2012
We don't have that problem here. My tax dollars go to help support a subsidized day care/preschool/after school program for teachers. The only call I have ever gotten from a teacher was because her child had been bitten 16 times. When she heard my (ridiculously low) price, she said, "Oh, thanks anyway". I guess she kept him in the school day care because I'm the same or cheaper than anyone around here.

When they opened the subsidized center, at least one privately owned center and who knows how many family homes went out of business.
Country Kids 07:28 PM 02-19-2012
I don't charge them anything unless they bring them during the summer. I charge hourly though so maybe that makes a difference.

My husband and I have always saved and budgeted for the lower summer months. I personally have taken the summer off for the last 4-5 years and last summer was the first one I had worked in that time, but I only had one full time child and two teachers children two days a week. All of my teachers have always came back to me.
Unregistered 07:32 PM 02-19-2012
I am on here because I am considering getting into daycare, but I just had to jump in on this. I am a teacher currently and I walked away from 2 daycares because of paying when care is not provided or available. The first person only took teachers kids. She did not charge over the summer, but she did have me bring in wipes, lunch, snacks and on parent teacher conference days, or professional development days she made me find someone else to watch dd and yet charged me for a full week (did not tell me about this when I choose her). She also would not watch her the extra 30 minutes on days I had staff meetings (originally said she would). She then changed her pick up to 15 minutes after the last bus picked up and that was the last straw and I left. When I went looking for DC again I refused to pay when bringing my child was not even an option. Now I do think that paying something even when I am not taking dd over the summer is fine, but full price is not. Care is not being provided; my daughter is not being feed by my provider. When I went looking I was about sold on this one provider, but she was not willing to let me pay a lower rate over the summer and I walked away. The provider currently watching dd does not charge me for the summer, but I give her "bonus money" at the end of the school year because I love her and she loves my dd and I pay her the normal rate when I have to take dd in because I am doing professional development. She likes the lighter load in the summer so she can go places with her group and she has said that my dd is easy and I am easy too so maybe that is a factor as well. Last year she filled dd spot over the summer with a school aged kid that parents did not want home alone all day.
Crazy8 07:38 PM 02-19-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I don't charge them anything unless they bring them during the summer. I charge hourly though so maybe that makes a difference.

My husband and I have always saved and budgeted for the lower summer months. I personally have taken the summer off for the last 4-5 years and last summer was the first one I had worked in that time, but I only had one full time child and two teachers children two days a week. All of my teachers have always came back to me.
this is me too - when I have had teachers kids I do budget accordingly and some summers I had 2-3 days off a week so that was nice, but now I am in a place where I NEED the full time summer income (and I have 2 FT non-teacher families so am working 5 days anyway) so I just don't take teachers kids. I COULD demand payment all summer but like I said earlier, it would just not put me in the competitive market with all the daycares around me not batting an eye if you want to take the summer off and re-enroll in Sept. They may claim they "might" be full and can't guarantee the space come Sept. but no one around here is EVER full anymore - the recent economy has made sure of that.
DaycareMommmy 07:48 PM 02-19-2012
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to go with my gut on this one which was to charge full price. Like Meeko says it shouldn't matter what they do for a living. Also, I find those parents that you bend policies for tend to be the ones who give you the most headaches. LOL
mac60 03:13 AM 02-20-2012
I charge 1/2 rate, and they can attend 2 days per week.
Jewels 04:32 AM 02-20-2012
I wouldn't personally charge a teacher for the summer, maybe for a couple days a week, but full time? if they are keeping their kid home, no way, and the analogy of they still pay their other bills, sure they pay their cell phone, but if they were barely ever using it, they could drop it to the lowest priced plan, Same with cable.
AfterSchoolMom 05:06 AM 02-20-2012
I don't charge for the summer, and I also save throughout the school year so that I still have money weekly. I just figure out a weekly budget for the 10-12 weeks of break and put aside a certain amount each week during the fall and winter. I've taken the summer off every year since my second year. It's worth it!
Cat Herder 05:27 AM 02-20-2012
I charge the same rate regardless of career choice or attendance.
saved4always 06:40 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am on here because I am considering getting into daycare, but I just had to jump in on this. I am a teacher currently and I walked away from 2 daycares because of paying when care is not provided or available. The first person only took teachers kids. She did not charge over the summer, but she did have me bring in wipes, lunch, snacks and on parent teacher conference days, or professional development days she made me find someone else to watch dd and yet charged me for a full week (did not tell me about this when I choose her). She also would not watch her the extra 30 minutes on days I had staff meetings (originally said she would). She then changed her pick up to 15 minutes after the last bus picked up and that was the last straw and I left. When I went looking for DC again I refused to pay when bringing my child was not even an option. Now I do think that paying something even when I am not taking dd over the summer is fine, but full price is not. Care is not being provided; my daughter is not being feed by my provider. When I went looking I was about sold on this one provider, but she was not willing to let me pay a lower rate over the summer and I walked away. The provider currently watching dd does not charge me for the summer, but I give her "bonus money" at the end of the school year because I love her and she loves my dd and I pay her the normal rate when I have to take dd in because I am doing professional development. She likes the lighter load in the summer so she can go places with her group and she has said that my dd is easy and I am easy too so maybe that is a factor as well. Last year she filled dd spot over the summer with a school aged kid that parents did not want home alone all day.
I watch only teacher's children and I am very upfront about the fact that I do not ever work past 4 p.m. I only watch teacher's children because I did not want to watch children over the summer, on school holidays or for long hours after my kids got of the bus. Because I only watch teacher's chilren and that is for my convenience, I personally do not charge over the summer. My husband makes enough to support us so I do not HAVE TO work so any money I make is used for non-essentials. So, I can afford to be choosey and not charge except when I actually have kids here. I do not think I am the norm.

That being said, you need to look at this from the point of view of a provider who only has a certain number of children they are allowed to watch, period. Most providers do childcare because they NEED the money to meet bills ALL YEAR ROUND. They charge for the SPOT. You are taking up a spot with your child(ren) whether the child is physically there or not. It may sound like a no brainer to you that the provider can fill your spot just for the summer and you can get it back in fall so you shouldn't have to pay to keep your spot. BUT, it is NOT that easy. I have a friend who also watches children for teachers. EVERY YEAR, she tries to fill those spots with kids that just need care for the summer. She has rarely found any, and, when she does, it certainly is not the number of children she would need to make the same money she does during the school year. There are a lot of affordable summer camps in this area. Many parents send thier school age children to these during the summer rather than using an in home provider.

So, please try to look at it from the provider's point of view. Your attitude is why many providers do not watch teacher's children at all.
SilverSabre25 07:14 AM 02-20-2012
Another teacher summer option would be to do your weekly rate * 52 (or 51, or 50, or however many weeks you charge other families the full rate) and divide the yearly total by 9, or however many months/weeks the teaching family works. It's a higher per week rate, but then you can not charge them anything over the summer and still have the same income for the year.
bgmeyers 07:20 AM 02-20-2012
This is what I came up with. It cover maternity also.

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required.
Meeko 07:29 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I wouldn't personally charge a teacher for the summer, maybe for a couple days a week, but full time? if they are keeping their kid home, no way, and the analogy of they still pay their other bills, sure they pay their cell phone, but if they were barely ever using it, they could drop it to the lowest priced plan, Same with cable.
That is true...IF the phone company or cable company HAS a lower priced plan already in place. A customer cannot simply demand one because they want one.

I don't have price plans in my day care. One space. One price.
wdmmom 07:51 AM 02-20-2012
The first teacher I took on, I didn't charge summers.

Now I offer the option of dropping down to part time...minimum of 2 days per week. They have to pay a flat fee regardless of whether they use the days. If they do use the days, they must be picked up at their regular departure time. (Before 4pm)
CheekyChick 08:03 AM 02-20-2012
I charge a tiny "holding fee" yet have never actually made anyone pay it.
MissAnn 08:08 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Another teacher summer option would be to do your weekly rate * 52 (or 51, or 50, or however many weeks you charge other families the full rate) and divide the yearly total by 9, or however many months/weeks the teaching family works. It's a higher per week rate, but then you can not charge them anything over the summer and still have the same income for the year.
What if that teacher leaves your program before summer? Does she just "eat" the lost because that was the option she chose? I really like this idea....but I need to know what those who have this option do. I would advertise this as "flexibility" since it shows you are willing to give choices.
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
What if that teacher leaves your program before summer? Does she just "eat" the lost because that was the option she chose? .
I used to do it that way often, and yes, the loss was hers since the choice was hers.

I stopped offering it because most would try to loophole it every way possible.

It became too much discussion over money. The discussion was NEVER child CARE related, always money.

Not worth the fraction of business it brought me.

I watch my two sisters kids (my nieces and nephews) go from center to center, every year, for this reason.

It is their choice. You get what you pay for.
MissAnn 08:37 AM 02-20-2012
It became too much dicussion over money. The dicussion was NEVER child CARE related, always money.

Yes...and this type behavior start right away. If I am not desperate to fill a spot....I will try to avoid giving it to someone's who's first priority is mone.

I am the only 3/3 star family home daycare in this town......I am much cheaper than one local center who requires each kid bring their own lunch.

Sorry.....but good luck finding a better deal unless you want to go with the 0/3 facility on the other side of town!

I know I sound petty.....but I feel the only discussion would be about money if I didn't require reading over my polices during orientation.
KDC 10:33 AM 02-20-2012
I struggle with this too... Many of my families are teachers (out of 5 kids, all but 1 have teacher parents). I really struggle financially to take the entire summer off. I have always been 'full'... except for finding summer spots. I even have a waiting list. I definitely feel in my area, there are more people looking for quality home daycare then in other areas, have a waiting list and could find other families to take over... but have always hesitated because of the loyalty I have towards the existing teacher families. I've never charged before, but am thinking of changing this to require 50% holding fee. IF their willing to pay the 50%, then I'll hold their spot. IF, they aren't willing to hold the spot they run the risk of losing the spot. I feel this is coming half way?
MissAnn 11:08 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by KDC:
I struggle with this too... Many of my families are teachers (out of 5 kids, all but 1 have teacher parents). I really struggle financially to take the entire summer off. I have always been 'full'... except for finding summer spots. I even have a waiting list. I definitely feel in my area, there are more people looking for quality home daycare then in other areas, have a waiting list and could find other families to take over... but have always hesitated because of the loyalty I have towards the existing teacher families. I've never charged before, but am thinking of changing this to require 50% holding fee. IF their willing to pay the 50%, then I'll hold their spot. IF, they aren't willing to hold the spot they run the risk of losing the spot. I feel this is coming half way?
I do just what you said. I have a total of 9 kids and only 1 is a non teacher's kid. One problem about this year......I have 5 leaving for kindergarten...they can either keep their kids here over the summer, pay for new contracted days, or pay 5 dollars more per day for drop in.....IF I have room (believe me, I will!). Parents can either contract for a minimum of 2 days per week at part time rate ($25 per day) or take their chances that I will have space in Fall.

I also charge full price for Christmas (my vacation and 3 holidays), spring and fall breaks, and Holidays. I know they came from a program where I used to work, they only take teacher's kids and they did not have to pay for any of these, including summer. On the other hand, they had to bring in food. Parents are pleased here....and I think they will pay for what I ask for...in reason.

I also give 5 free days for parents. I have 2 vacations....one at christmas and one in the summer. The summer vacation is unpaid and christmas they pay.

I do "contests" to entice parents to actually read my facebook page for my program. They will win one free day for the next week. I usually ask a question they need to ask their kids....which open up communication between school and home too.
SilverSabre25 12:37 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have no idea! I've never had a teacher's kids. It's just in my basket of tricks should the situation ever arise. Most likely, if they leave, they are simply out the money because it was their choice. I wouldn't even necessarily tell them up front that they were being charge more than other people...I try not to tell how much I charge until I know things like what the parents do and what hours they need. That leaves me open to tweak things. Being able to say, "Well, your rate is is $155/week and I won't charge you for the summer" makes them think (maybe) that they are getting a deal.
bunnyslippers 02:28 PM 02-20-2012
I only take teacher families. Here are my policies:

* I charge 55 per day, no matter how long you are here. If teachers are expected at school, I expect payment.

* The first five snow days per winter are not charged (they are made up at the end of the year)

* Each teacher is allowed two staff meetings per month free of charge. I will not cover for before school meetings, and will not stay aFTER 4:30.

* My hours are 7:30-4:00. Each family is allowed contracted hours only (15 minute window is allowed for pick-ups, as long as they do not go past 4:00).

* I take 5 paid/personal days per year.

* I am closed all school vacations and holidays, with no exceptions. If school is closed, so am I. I do not charge for the days that teachers do not need to report for work.

I charge a lot more than other child cares in the area, and I plan accordingly for the summer months. I love my schedule, and feel that it works best for my family dynamic.

I opened my child care specifically because I was a teacher, and I couldn't fathom spending hundreds of dollars in the summer when I didn't need to. I now understand why childcares do charge in the summer - it is your livelihood - but I didn't want to do it! I found a niche, and it works for us. I know the families I care for also appreciate the service I offer.

I have also seen some funky practices and abuse of teachers. My friend pays for her kids spots in the summer, but doesn't use them and her provider takes in another family to fill those spots. Soooo, she gets paid twice. I believe that is SO WRONG, ethically.

I love my model, and love my vacation time. I definitely could not and would not do this any other way!
MamaBear 08:09 PM 02-20-2012
I have several teacher parents and I don't charge them for the summer break. BUT I wish that I at least charged half for the summer. For the next families I am definitely going to charge half for the summer. It is too costly to let them not pay at all and still hold that space.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I have also seen some funky practices and abuse of teachers. My friend pays for her kids spots in the summer, but doesn't use them and her provider takes in another family to fill those spots. Soooo, she gets paid twice. I believe that is SO WRONG, ethically.
Um, yeah that is soooo wrong! I used to take teacher's kids and NOT charge because I was able to take on school age children to fill the spaces. However, I stopped taking SA kids now and have 2 teacher parents now.

1 pays a higher rate to make up for her absence in the summer and the other one attends all summer. The mom teaches summer school so she pays the same as other parents.

If I was able to fill the spaces, I would absolutely NOT charge teachers (or anyone else) who doesn't come due to work.

I FULLY support a parent who chooses to stay home with their child.
Country Kids 07:12 AM 02-21-2012
Is she paying to have them held for her in the summer or is she paying to have them still there in the fall.

I'm seeing it no different than those that do drop in but still charge parents who don't show up.

Many of us charge parents one fee-whether they use it or not. Alot of those same providers do drop in and will tell parents to please let me know early if you are going to be here or not in case I have a drop in call. So the original person is still paying but maybe not come that day, and then you have a drop in call, and they are paying you also. You would still be getting paid twice for one spot.
laundrymom 08:32 AM 02-21-2012
I have always given them the option to pay and bring them if they wanted, or not pay and risk losing their slot. I maintain 5 active names on my waiting list at all times and they know this. I tell them, are you sure you want to drop your slot for summer? You will lose it if I fill it with someone else. I've had two moms choose not to pay, I filled the position the evening they gave notice. They were mad because I had no loyalty to them the following august when they called telling me they were returning to care. I reminded them that I warned them they would probably lose their slot. They said" but I thought you cared about our child. I said, I do, but this is my income. It has nothing to do with caring.
MrsB 09:22 AM 02-21-2012
About half of my DCKs are teachers children. I charge 50% for the summer, unless I can fill their spot with someone who only needs summer care. You wouldnt think it but teachers have lots of connections and if it means you are saving them money they will bring you business! If they dont want to pay the 50% either they find someone to pay 100% for that time or they take their chances on a spot being available in the fall! It usually works out. In fact I have 3 daycare kids that come back every summer that were referred by teachers.
Cat Herder 09:31 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
My friend pays for her kids spots in the summer, but doesn't use them and her provider takes in another family to fill those spots. Soooo, she gets paid twice. I believe that is SO WRONG, ethically.

!
Yeah, that is unethical. If you can fill the slot for the summer only (and are willing to).... IMHO, you should not charge both clients.

My goal is stablility. I LIKE having the same 6 kids everyday, year round. They become a little family. THAT is my business goal.
boysx5 09:37 AM 02-21-2012
I don't have teachers but I would charge for keeping the spot. If you take a month vacation you still have your bills.
MrsB 09:46 AM 02-21-2012
Maybe you could give them the option of a 9 month or a 12 month plan. Say you charge 700 per month. They have the choice to pay 700 per month for 12 months or 933 per month for 9 months.
sharlan 10:10 AM 02-21-2012
I've had 3 teacher families over the years. I never charged them for full weeks off and I looked forward to the lighter load during the summer. One family chose to bring the kids 2 or 3 days a week during the summer and paid a daily rate.
iheartkids 11:05 AM 02-21-2012
I am in a predicament with a teacher's family as I come to think of the summer months. I told her that I would not charge her for the summer because I had a school age child that came last summer and may come again this summer. So she would fill her spot during the summer. But after the teacher-mom sent me a copy of her and her ex's custody plan I saw on there that she is teaching summer school! The previous family hasn't told me for sure if they want to bring their school-ager over the summer yet and the new family hasn't told me they would be using me for the summer so I'm trying to decide...who has priority over that spot!? Do I give it to the family that is with me permenantly even though I may be out money for the months of July and August..or to the old family whom I told them the spot was open but they haven't made a decision to yet????
itlw8 11:10 AM 02-21-2012
some people with only teachers children follow the school schedule and close for the summer. They also charge a bit higher rate during the school year than other people. One does 2 summer camps to keep the children in the swing of coming and so she knows they will be back in Aug.

You just need to find what works for you.
Tags:assistant, assistant - summer, summer care, teacher viewpoint, teacher's children, teachers
Reply Up