Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Daycare Related, Just Looking for Opinions
Francine 04:04 AM 06-16-2010
My DH's bosses daughter is getting married, we are invited to the wedding and reception and plan to attend. His son is getting married a month later and we will be attending that wedding and reception as well. My DH thinks of his boss as one of his best friends, they are very close BUT outside of work they don't do anything together. Once a year we might go out to dinner with him and his wife but that's it. I don't call her up to chat or to get together for coffee, we see each other and talk at work related functions and that is it.

I have been invited to the daughters bridal shower? Am I obligated to attend? I think of showers as being for close friends and family of the person the shower is for, my DH thinks if you are invited you should go.

Would you go?
momofboys 04:24 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
My DH's bosses daughter is getting married, we are invited to the wedding and reception and plan to attend. His son is getting married a month later and we will be attending that wedding and reception as well. My DH thinks of his boss as one of his best friends, they are very close BUT outside of work they don't do anything together. Once a year we might go out to dinner with him and his wife but that's it. I don't call her up to chat or to get together for coffee, we see each other and talk at work related functions and that is it.

I have been invited to the daughters bridal shower? Am I obligated to attend? I think of showers as being for close friends and family of the person the shower is for, my DH thinks if you are invited you should go.

Would you go?
If it were me I would not go. I imagine you are purchasing gifts for both wedding. PErsonally I would not be able to afford a shower gift & a wedding gift. Not to mention you do not know the bride.
Francine 04:28 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
If it were me I would not go. I imagine you are purchasing gifts for both wedding. PErsonally I would not be able to afford a shower gift & a wedding gift. Not to mention you do not know the bride.
I do know the bride but not like my husband does, I know her well enough to say " HI, how are ya" if I see her out someplace but that's about it. It's my husband that has known her since she was little.

My husband is the type of person who can make conversation with anybody so to walk into a place and not know anybody isn't a problem for him. It makes me sick to think of going and he just doesn't get that.
TGT09 04:31 AM 06-16-2010
If your DH has known her that long, since she was little...I would probably go.
momofboys 05:25 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I do know the bride but not like my husband does, I know her well enough to say " HI, how are ya" if I see her out someplace but that's about it. It's my husband that has known her since she was little.

My husband is the type of person who can make conversation with anybody so to walk into a place and not know anybody isn't a problem for him. It makes me sick to think of going and he just doesn't get that.
Sorry I misunderstood. If your DH has known her for a long time that is likely why you were invited. I'd go even if you don't know anyone. I'm sure the briide & MOB will introduce you to others. I also don't like going places without a friend to talk to. It's hard!
fctjc1979 05:32 AM 06-16-2010
I agree that since you were invited and it's important to your husband that you go, you should probably go.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:58 AM 06-16-2010
I see a shower for close friends/family...I would feel uncomfortable attending a shower with a bunch of people I didn't know.
jen 06:56 AM 06-16-2010
I don't think that you should feel obligated one way or another!
professionalmom 08:20 AM 06-16-2010
If you are a daycare provider and don't want to go to something (shower or whatever), you have a great excuse "I'm sorry I will not be able to make it, one of my clients needs me to work some extra hours" or "I have clients at that time".
misol 08:56 AM 06-16-2010
I would not attend and just send a gift instead. Just RSVP with a no and if anyone asks, just tell them that you have another commitment that day.

Also, it's likely that the bride's parent's were the ones that decided you should be invited to the shower, not the bride herself. She probably won't even notice that you're not there.
Greenshadow 09:28 AM 06-16-2010
Nope. I wouldn't go. I would rsvp with a no and send a gift card or something in my place.
Genesis Lady 04:25 PM 06-16-2010
I would say NO you are not obligated to attend. However I would make an appearance due to my husband's relationship with the family. You can go and drop off a card or gift and then leave. That way you "represented" your family and were not made to feel uncomfortable. RSVP, show up, congratulate the Bride-to-be and apologize you are not able to stay, but wanted to drop off her card/gift and then go do something special for yourself. If you decide to stay, you can mingle with the other guests and network. You never know who's looking for childcare! Ultimately you need to do whatever is comfortable for you. If you decide not to attend at all be sure to RSVP your regrets.
originalkat 04:45 PM 06-16-2010
If you do not feel comfortable going, then I would rsvp with a no and tell them you had prior commitments. People probably wont care if you go or not since you only know each other casually. They probably invited you to be polite (as a formality).
booroo 05:00 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Genesis Lady:
I would say NO you are not obligated to attend. However I would make an appearance due to my husband's relationship with the family. You can go and drop off a card or gift and then leave. That way you "represented" your family and were not made to feel uncomfortable. RSVP, show up, congratulate the Bride-to-be and apologize you are not able to stay, but wanted to drop off her card/gift and then go do something special for yourself. If you decide to stay, you can mingle with the other guests and network. You never know who's looking for childcare! Ultimately you need to do whatever is comfortable for you. If you decide not to attend at all be sure to RSVP your regrets.

I agree with this one!! They thought of you, so they must of felt like you were important enough to invite.. The gift doesn't have to be much!!
Tags:bridal shower, invitations
Reply Up