Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First for Me in 30+ Years
sharlan 12:16 PM 05-25-2016
I have 2 afternoon K girls. I just took them to school to find out that they had an early day today and should have been at school at 8:30. I took them at their normal 12. Teacher looked at me crazy when I walked up to the gate.

2 kids, 2 different sets of parents and not one told me that today was an early day.

Usually the teacher will give me a heads up the day before, but she didn't yesterday.

I have NEVER taken a child to school 5 mins late, let alone 3+ hours.

I feel bad for the one as she had not missed a single day of school the whole school year. She did miss one day due to the school being on lockdown. But that wasn't counted against the kids.
Controlled Chaos 12:31 PM 05-25-2016
Don't stress. These last few weeks of school are filled with the craziest schedules!
sharlan 12:49 PM 05-25-2016
It just ticks me off to think that between the girls, 6 adults went to open house last night and not one thought to let me know.

The one girl has a brother in 5th grade so they would have been told in two classrooms!
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 05-25-2016
I don't think you should feel bad at all. It's not your responsibility to know when they have school, it's their parents' responsibility.
e.j. 02:10 PM 05-25-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
It just ticks me off to think that between the girls, 6 adults went to open house last night and not one thought to let me know.

The one girl has a brother in 5th grade so they would have been told in two classrooms!
That would tick me off, too, but I was thinking....both girls were 3 1/2 hours late getting to school and no one called looking for them?? I would have thought the school would have been on the phone to both sets of parents to confirm they were absent and when the parents got the call, at least one of them would have called you to say, "Oh, sorry but I forgot to tell you...." I'd be concerned that no one bothered to find out where the girls were.
DaveA 02:33 PM 05-25-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
That would tick me off, too, but I was thinking....both girls were 3 1/2 hours late getting to school and no one called looking for them?? I would have thought the school would have been on the phone to both sets of parents to confirm they were absent and when the parents got the call, at least one of them would have called you to say, "Oh, sorry but I forgot to tell you...." I'd be concerned that no one bothered to find out where the girls were.
That was what I was wondering about also. I'd be hacked if my kids didn't make it to school and no one called. A couple years ago DW & I went to a show that involved us flying out early Friday morning. DS got sick the night before- nothing major but we had him stay home with grandma. By the time we landed @ 1000 we each had 2 messages & 3 missed calls because I had called & left the message at the wrong school office.
Second Home 05:48 AM 05-26-2016
Our elementary school does not call when a child is absent and neither does the middle school . Only the high school and that is an automated message .
Lovisa 06:24 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Our elementary school does not call when a child is absent and neither does the middle school . Only the high school and that is an automated message .
Same here.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't think you should feel bad at all. It's not your responsibility to know when they have school, it's their parents' responsibility.
that is a parental responsibility!

Originally Posted by e.j.:
That was my thought as well. Our school does a personal phone call to each parent/emergency pick up person if you don't call in to the attendance office by 9am.
permanentvacation 10:11 AM 05-26-2016
Yes, it's the parent's responsibility to let you know that the schedule changed. And, if you agreed to a specific time schedule to take the kids to school, if the time changes, you are not obligated to take them at the different time. The parents could and should have told you about the time change in advance and asked if you would be able and willing to take them in at that time. If you were unable to accommodate the changed hours, then the parents would have to rearrange their day to take the children in at the different time.
sharlan 12:16 PM 05-26-2016
Our schools send out a recorded message in the evening if a child is absent from school. Even if they called during the day, I wouldn't have got the message.

I just talked to both girls' teachers.

Teacher A told me that she personally told the aunt (guardian) about early day along with personally handing the aunt the written notice. Aunt claimed she knew nothing about early day when I called her yesterday. Aunt's bf claimed to no know anything when he picked up yesterday. Hmmmmmmmm, he knew to pick her up at my house when he normally picks up at school. They also have an older child at that school.

Teacher B said she handed the parents the notice. Those two parents are...........well, they just are. Mom says she told dad to tell me at drop off but grandma dropped off. This is the child I feel bad for. She had perfect attendance.
Heidi 01:39 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Our schools send out a recorded message in the evening if a child is absent from school. Even if they called during the day, I wouldn't have got the message.

I just talked to both girls' teachers.

Teacher A told me that she personally told the aunt (guardian) about early day along with personally handing the aunt the written notice. Aunt claimed she knew nothing about early day when I called her yesterday. Aunt's bf claimed to no know anything when he picked up yesterday. Hmmmmmmmm, he knew to pick her up at my house when he normally picks up at school. They also have an older child at that school.

Teacher B said she handed the parents the notice. Those two parents are...........well, they just are. Mom says she told dad to tell me at drop off but grandma dropped off. This is the child I feel bad for. She had perfect attendance.
Well, hopefully the school doesn't hold it against her attendance record. She only missed part of the day.

Most of our local schools track parents down if children are absent without a call (if they are grade or middle school). They want to make sure the kids are not lost, stolen, or otherwise. Once they are in high school, there is just an automated message after the fact, I think.
sharlan 01:44 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Well, hopefully the school doesn't hold it against her attendance record. She only missed part of the day.

Most of our local schools track parents down if children are absent without a call (if they are grade or middle school). They want to make sure the kids are not lost, stolen, or otherwise. Once they are in high school, there is just an automated message after the fact, I think.

She missed the entire day so she won't get the award now.
Unregistered 05:46 PM 05-26-2016
Sorry about the mix up but it's not your fault! It's wonderful you offer that transportation service. It's a lot of work!

A little off topic but We have had full day five day a week in my area for 30 years. I'm in a small, rural area. It throws me bit to see that some K's go 1/2 days still.

I would love to have 5 yr olds in my group.
Reply Up