Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parvo-DCM
theycallmetaytor 08:20 PM 10-30-2013
I had to put my puppy to sleep today because he had parvovirus. Dcm is a vet tech and her son started about 3 weeks ago. She told me today that recently they had 2 dogs come into the clinic she works at that were infected. I'm wondering if she may have tracked it into my house on accident on her shoes or clothes...I have 2 other dogs too. Would it be unresonable for me to ask her to stay right inside the door when she picks up?...just in case?
SilverSabre25 08:25 PM 10-30-2013
i don't know much about parvo, but can it be spread that way?
theycallmetaytor 08:35 PM 10-30-2013
Parvo is EXTREMELY contagious and incredibly diffcult to kill. The virus can live for months regardless of temperature. Every surface the puppy possibly came into contact with I'm going to have to clean with bleach. The vet even recommended I do it to my yard though it'll kill my grass too.
SilverSabre25 08:39 PM 10-30-2013
gotcha. Well then, I think it would be reasonable to institute a new policy: parents remove shoes OUTSIDE the door.
SilverSabre25 08:40 PM 10-30-2013
By the way, I'm so sorry about your sweet puppy
theycallmetaytor 08:44 PM 10-30-2013
Thank you, I'm heartbroken over it. If I thought people wouldn't find me crazy or incredibly rude i'd make her stay outside I don't know for sure if she brought it or if it just happened but I worry about her bringing anything into my home. They've had a lot of kennel cough too recently. I'm not sure how its spread but I Can't afford excess vet bills too.
SilverSabre25 08:47 PM 10-30-2013
I think she'd understand if you ask taht she either change her shoes or stay outside. "Hey, DCM, I know this sounds incredibly paranoid, and even a bit rude, but my sweet pup had to be put to sleep because of parvo, and since you're a vet tech I'd feel so much more comfortable if you change your shoes or stay outside, or take your shoes off outside or something. I'm just so sad right now, I promise it's notthing personal I just need to do what I can to keep my other pups safe"

Bonus points if you get teary. Chances are, she'll understand.
Willow 08:48 PM 10-30-2013
I'm so sorry to hear that......parvo is just the worst

Did you contact the puppys breeder or was he a rescue?

Unfortunately it's possible it came from anywhere. Puppy could have had it already, could have come in from dcm, could have been an infected animal brought it into your yard, there's really no way to know for sure. I've never heard of bleaching a yard, but do know it can survive for years and continue to infect any new young critters you bring into your home.

Your other dogs will likely be fine, your best bet though will be to not bring any new pups or kittens home for the forseeable future. Adult/vaccinated additions will not be affected regardless of exposure.

(((((Hugs))))) to your family
Willow 08:56 PM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I think she'd understand if you ask taht she either change her shoes or stay outside. "Hey, DCM, I know this sounds incredibly paranoid, and even a bit rude, but my sweet pup had to be put to sleep because of parvo, and since you're a vet tech I'd feel so much more comfortable if you change your shoes or stay outside, or take your shoes off outside or something. I'm just so sad right now, I promise it's notthing personal I just need to do what I can to keep my other pups safe"

Bonus points if you get teary. Chances are, she'll understand.
If it's on her scrubs and she gets in her car at the end of the day it can transfer onto her clothing the next morning on the drive back over.....then onto dcg if she touches her at all and come into the home that way too.

Just removing shoes wouldnt be enough to prevent all cross contamination and subsequent exposure. It's literally that contagious.
SilverSabre25 09:07 PM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If it's on her scrubs and she gets in her car at the end of the day it can transfer onto her clothing the next morning on the drive back over.....then onto dcg if she touches her at all and come into the home that way too.

Just removing shoes wouldnt be enough to prevent all cross contamination and subsequent exposure. It's literally that contagious.
I thought of that while I was typing
Willow 09:14 PM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I thought of that while I was typing
Whenever I bring a new puppy home or even just have friends and family bring one of theirs over the worry is always in the back of my mind.

I've volunteered at many a shelter and at least a time or two each year there's an outbreak and it'll wipe out most who are there. Takes nearly all puppies and kittens because treatment is so expensive and it hardly improves their odds anyway
Scout 04:17 AM 10-31-2013
I am very sorry you had to do that. What is parvo? How sad it is so deadly
crazydaycarelady 06:50 AM 10-31-2013
I'm sorry.

It is highly contagious. My vet said not to take puppies into stores etc. until they have ALL of their vacinations.
JenNJ 06:57 AM 10-31-2013
It's just not enough unfortunately. The only way to truly avoid parvo is to seclude the pup until all shots are done. It sucks, but it is how it needs to be done. The grass, concrete outside, etc. can all be infected. There isn't enough bleach in the world to kill it.

I'm so sorry about your pup. That is heartbreaking.
Tags:parvovirus, pets in daycare
Reply Up