Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ouch!
Maggie 10:54 AM 12-19-2013
The tips of my fingers are so dry they've got splits in them and it is so painful. I use lotion constantly throughout the day but within 2 minutes of putting it on I have to wash my hands again. I rub neosporin on them at night but its not working. Anyone have any tips on trying to heal them?
ihop 11:03 AM 12-19-2013
I'll be following this one closely, my hands are always dry and splitting.

I used to use lanolin, the chapped nipple stuff, and it worked great if I put it on before bed. But since becoming vegetarian, its kinda a no no.
Stepping 11:05 AM 12-19-2013
When my hands get really bad I slather Vaseline on at night and then wear cotton gloves over the top. Really helps but your hands get a bit sweaty
itlw8 11:05 AM 12-19-2013
vermonts bag balm in the green square can. look in your farm supply store if you can't find it other places. I have sensitive skin many products make my hands worse or itch or give me a headache. This works wonders and fast. heck it works on a cows udder that is milked 2x a day.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:14 AM 12-19-2013
I have the same issue. I try to rub coconut oil on them several times throughout the day. When I am good I use gloves to wash dishes. Also I like the pink Dawn. Taking fish oil helps too oh and tea tree oil seems to heal them up quicker too.
Meeko 11:19 AM 12-19-2013
I get the same problem. Gold Bond lotion keeps my hands soft, but my finger tips still get the cracks and it's very painful.

A couple years ago I discovered "New Skin" and I have seen several other brands out there too. It's something you paint on like nail polish. It dries and forms a "skin". It's been a miracle for me. It stings like nothing else when you first paint it on, but feels soooo much better afterwards. It stands up to several washings, although I try to wear gloves as much as possible. I reapply a couple coats each morning while they heal. It's a little miracle as far as I'm concerned.
Attached: newskin.jpg (20.2 KB) 
JenNJ 11:24 AM 12-19-2013
I use coconut oil constantly. I slather it on at night and it helps thrm heal and moisturizes thrm at the same time.
Luna 11:26 AM 12-19-2013
I have a prescription but I only use it at night and wear gloves while I'm sleeping. Throughout the day I use Cerave. Right now one of my thumbs is cracked to the point of bleeding, so I have the prescription lotion on it, covered by a cut-off vinyl glove finger, held on with a bandaid.
Isn't it awful? I cringe when I have to touch the Velcro on the kids outside clothes
Maggie 11:29 AM 12-19-2013
Thank you everyone. I'm going to try the vasoline and gloves tonight because I have that and look for some of the tomorrow when I'm out. The new skin stuff looks like a great idea.
Lil'DinoEggs 11:43 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I have a prescription but I only use it at night and wear gloves while I'm sleeping. Throughout the day I use Cerave. Right now one of my thumbs is cracked to the point of bleeding, so I have the prescription lotion on it, covered by a cut-off vinyl glove finger, held on with a bandaid.
Isn't it awful? I cringe when I have to touch the Velcro on the kids outside clothes
I do the exact same thing. It is a steroid. I have eczema just on my hands and fingers as well as the cracking. During the day I use a ton of lotion. Also, I make sure we use gentle hand soaps like the olay dish soap and such
melilley 11:54 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I get the same problem. Gold Bond lotion keeps my hands soft, but my finger tips still get the cracks and it's very painful.

A couple years ago I discovered "New Skin" and I have seen several other brands out there too. It's something you paint on like nail polish. It dries and forms a "skin". It's been a miracle for me. It stings like nothing else when you first paint it on, but feels soooo much better afterwards. It stands up to several washings, although I try to wear gloves as much as possible. I reapply a couple coats each morning while they heal. It's a little miracle as far as I'm concerned.
This stuff really works! It does sting a lot, but you're right, it's worth it!
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

LOL! I am soooo glad to hear I am not the only one that does this!

I keep a bottle of New Skin EVERYWHERE I am. In my purse, the drawer at daycare, at home, in my car.... everywhere.

It really really works! I "paint" the cracks and splits on my fingertips closed and will sometimes cover with a Band-aide but I would die if New Skin went out of business...
My3cents 12:11 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
vermonts bag balm in the green square can. look in your farm supply store if you can't find it other places. I have sensitive skin many products make my hands worse or itch or give me a headache. This works wonders and fast. heck it works on a cows udder that is milked 2x a day.
love this stuff for diaper rashes too~
My3cents 12:16 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL! I am soooo glad to hear I am not the only one that does this!

I keep a bottle of New Skin EVERYWHERE I am. In my purse, the drawer at daycare, at home, in my car.... everywhere.

It really really works! I "paint" the cracks and splits on my fingertips closed and will sometimes cover with a Band-aide but I would die if New Skin went out of business...
My hands dry out from the diapers and constant hand washing. You ladies recommended gold bond and that stuff has worked great for dry skin. Going to tell hub about the fake skin his hands split from being dry even with the gold bond
DaycareMom 01:47 PM 12-19-2013
I don't have any solutions for this, but have the same problem.
I am constantly using lotion, but I find using wipes so often really dries out the tips of my fingers.
MotherNature 05:32 PM 12-19-2013
Just curious if anyone has had an allergy test for gluten, wheat, and casein, especially the person that gets eczema only on their hands & fingers. Recurrent patches of dishydrosis and split skin occurs if I've had gluten or casein. It's very painful and can be itchy. It's a pretty common problem among people with food intolerances. Just throwing it out there in case it's not just severe dryness.
Cynthia 06:05 PM 12-19-2013
Try O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. It's for dry and crack hands . Works great !!! You can get it at Home depot or most Lumber Yards.
Cradle2crayons 06:07 PM 12-19-2013
I've always used okeef's or however you spell it. You can get it for hands and feet. The one I use is called "working hands" and it's in a round tin.

http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Worki...+working+hands
Childminder 08:30 PM 12-19-2013
Okeeffe's and it is on every end cap at Walmarts. The have one for feet but haven't tried it yet.
Lil'DinoEggs 08:36 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Just curious if anyone has had an allergy test for gluten, wheat, and casein, especially the person that gets eczema only on their hands & fingers. Recurrent patches of dishydrosis and split skin occurs if I've had gluten or casein. It's very painful and can be itchy. It's a pretty common problem among people with food intolerances. Just throwing it out there in case it's not just severe dryness.

While I would never rule those items out, I don't consume dairy or many bread products because I have been losing weight. While I don't know the cause, my mother had it after her three pregnancies. Mine has gotten worse with each pregnancy. However, this is the first year in five years I needed the steroid cream as I usually just avoid hand and wrist jewelry, use mild cleansers, and lotions. I noticed a lot more of my kids are having break outs so it could be anything: the local water, how dry it is, something in the local food, etc.
Unregistered 04:40 AM 12-20-2013
Mine used to do this and when I started taking vitamin E they healed up.
Unregistered 04:44 AM 12-20-2013
To take the sting away use super glue.it does not hurt and allopws you to wash your hands but not sting every time.It will grow/peel off just add more till healed.
jojosmommy 07:24 AM 12-20-2013
I think New Skin is torture! !! I can't hack it!
MotherNature 07:33 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
While I would never rule those items out, I don't consume dairy or many bread products because I have been losing weight. While I don't know the cause, my mother had it after her three pregnancies. Mine has gotten worse with each pregnancy. However, this is the first year in five years I needed the steroid cream as I usually just avoid hand and wrist jewelry, use mild cleansers, and lotions. I noticed a lot more of my kids are having break outs so it could be anything: the local water, how dry it is, something in the local food, etc.
Aw. Hope you figure it out & get some relief.
MyAngels 07:55 AM 12-20-2013
For you ladies that use coconut oil - where do you get it? It's an actual oil, not a lotion type thing?
MotherNature 09:55 AM 12-20-2013
Most grocery stores has coconut oil. Trader Joe's, Costco, natural food stores. It's solid, but turns liquid when warm & is useful for everything. Around our house it is the wonder cure all, along with breastmilk, garlic, raw honey, & elderberries.
Lil'DinoEggs 04:03 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
To take the sting away use super glue.it does not hurt and allopws you to wash your hands but not sting every time.It will grow/peel off just add more till healed.
I do this as well. If I can't find superglue, I use clear nail polish. It doesn't last more than a few hours but it helps.
pandamom 12:51 AM 12-21-2013
I use the Gold Bond healing lotion. I may try that new skin stuff if I can find it at the BX- that'd be great for the little cuts I get around the tips of my fingers
originalkat 07:13 AM 12-21-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
I do the exact same thing. It is a steroid. I have eczema just on my hands and fingers as well as the cracking. During the day I use a ton of lotion. Also, I make sure we use gentle hand soaps like the olay dish soap and such
I have Eczema on my hands and it can be painful to wash hands constantly. Olay is great for shower soap or at the kitchen sink.
Tags:hand issues, new skin
Reply Up