Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Highlighter tip
284878 11:55 AM 10-07-2015
I read DAYCARE's tip on highlighting the sign out sheet as soon as DCP is late. I tried it, and it worked well. thank you DAYCARE.

DCM writes the time down herself and she was late by a few minutes in the summer, she was finishing a phone call in her car once but always would write down 6 instead of 6:0? - because of that, I never charged her. (I was testing her honesty and did not say anything)

Well last week, I used the highlighter and she was 3 minutes late, it forced her to write down the correct time. She was late again that week, this time 10 minutes. When I asked for the late fee on Friday with her payment, she got upset. Told me "this can not continue to happen" and "I might have to find a different daycare" (I charged $5 per 15 minutes per child (she has 3) I have decided that come January (new handbooks) it will be per minute per child.

After her complaint that "I know you are running a business but it was just a few minutes." I told her she was late a few times in the summer and I had let it slide. She did not even try to deny that she was late. She agreed and paid.
Blackcat31 12:08 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I read DAYCARE's tip on highlighting the sign out sheet as soon as DCP is late. I tried it, and it worked well. thank you DAYCARE.

DCM writes the time down herself and she was late by a few minutes in the summer, she was finishing a phone call in her car once but always would write down 6 instead of 6:0? - because of that, I never charged her. (I was testing her honesty and did not say anything)

Well last week, I used the highlighter and she was 3 minutes late, it forced her to write down the correct time. She was late again that week, this time 10 minutes. When I asked for the late fee on Friday with her payment, she got upset. Told me "this can not continue to happen" and "I might have to find a different daycare" (I charged $5 per 15 minutes per child (she has 3) I have decided that come January (new handbooks) it will be per minute per child.

After her complaint that "I know you are running a business but it was just a few minutes." I told her she was late a few times in the summer and I had let it slide. She did not even try to deny that she was late. She agreed and paid.

That's funny.... what are you suppose to do to stop her from being late??

Oh, wait...you are charging her a late fee so she won't do it again.

Bet it stops happening now.

Oh, and the "I might have to find a different daycare" comment would have had me deciding for her and helping her out the door with an immediate termination notice in hand.

I don't take kindly to parents using "vague" threats when THEY are the ones not following the rules.
Leigh 12:47 PM 10-07-2015

"this can not continue to happen"....you should have told her something like "I'm so glad that you understand how inconvenient these late pickups are for me! That's why I've had to start charging the late fees. Thanks for being so cooperative!"
Unregistered 01:06 PM 10-07-2015
that is a great tip! And yeah, "this cannot continue to happen" is hilarious! one of the funniest late fee comments I've ever heard.
littletots 01:26 PM 10-07-2015
Oh, goodness. Now that's too funny.
284878 02:01 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
"this can not continue to happen"....you should have told her something like "I'm so glad that you understand how inconvenient these late pickups are for me! That's why I've had to start charging the late fees. Thanks for being so cooperative!"
I really did not think about when said it. It wasnt until after she left that it was so funny to me. I think that I was nervous that I would say something unprofessional, that I really didn't say much and let her rant.

I been kicking myself because I had been turning down families and reffering them to other providers. I started advertising since this happened. Dcb-SA has been giving me too much trouble lately, so he will be the first to go.
daycare 02:09 PM 10-07-2015
lol sorry but that is kind of funny.

this cant continue to happen...bahahahha. so then pick up your kid on time and it won't happen..

I would just tell her that if she needs to adjust her pick up time you would be more than happy to do that for her, but it will be $x.xx more per day per child.

I would then go on to say. I understand that this may not work for all families, but this is how we successfully run our business and I completely understand if no longer works for you. If you decide that this just isn't going to work, please don't forget to give me your 30 day termination in advance. I would really hate for you to loose your full deposit.

thanks so much

your DCP
mommyneedsadayoff 03:33 PM 10-07-2015

Bahahaha! Thank you Captain Obvious! It is within her control to change it and in your control to charge late fees. You have done your part, so now it is on her to do hers

Btw, I agree with Blackcat on the whole "need to find a different daycare" threat. I am not a fan of that! I would say, "is that your way of giving your two weeks notice? If so, dck's last day is XX and best of luck in your childcare search!" I cannot stand a parent threatening my income. They really need to understand that the minute they threaten my income, they put me on the offensive to making sure I can provide for my family. In other words, I start looking for new clients and plan my termination of their services. It's just not cool.
Reply Up