Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:19 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default How to Claim Deduction for House that I Don't Own

Hi, I operate a registered daycare out of our home but I am not on the deed/title and we aren't married yet. I pay for half of all household expenses and use the entire downstairs for the daycare. I also have a playroom used exclusively for the daycare. How do I deduct anything on my taxes?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default unmarried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hi, I operate a registered daycare out of our home but I am not on the deed/title and we aren't married yet. I pay for half of all household expenses and use the entire downstairs for the daycare. I also have a playroom used exclusively for the daycare. How do I deduct anything on my taxes?
Since you aren't married and your name is not on the deed, you can't claim any portion of mortgage interest, property tax, and house depreciation. You can deduct expenses you pay for such as utilities, house repairs and home improvements. You can calculate your time-space% in the same way as all other providers, including counting an exclusive use room.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:53 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Thank you, Tom!

Tags
deduction - rental, tom copeland