Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Should We Now Open The Economy Again?
Now - For Each State To Decide 11 26.83%
Later - After May 1st 22 53.66%
Later - After All Americans Have Been Tested 7 17.07%
Later - After a Vaccine is Available 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>POLL - Should We Start To Open Our Economy Again?
Josiegirl 03:50 AM 04-21-2020
There was a 5 yo little girl who recently died from this miserable illness. A little while ago, there was a 6 week old baby that died of Covid-19. Where were their choices.

Responsible adults should be taking steps to protect themselves and others.
Irresponsible adults don't care or are too lazy or don't believe there's truly anything to worry about, to adhere to rules.

Yes, the world needs to ease into opening back up, with restrictions, limits, protections, new laws. People can hate it, protest it, deny it, but please, above all else, be responsible about it. Don't protest in large groups, or fill churches with 500 people, unmasked and not socially distanced. Don't crowd beaches or public arenas without being responsible. Don't push through WalMart's door as if it's Black Friday. Humanity cannot handle it. The whole entire health care and medical system cannot handle it. My son who works in retail cannot handle it. My 75 yo sister and her 80 yo Alzeimer's dh cannot handle it. Is their only choice to stay home and never socialize again? None of our small children have a choice about how irresponsible people act, can handle it.

Valerie928 05:21 AM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
There was a 5 yo little girl who recently died from this miserable illness. A little while ago, there was a 6 week old baby that died of Covid-19. Where were their choices.

Responsible adults should be taking steps to protect themselves and others.
Irresponsible adults don't care or are too lazy or don't believe there's truly anything to worry about, to adhere to rules.

Yes, the world needs to ease into opening back up, with restrictions, limits, protections, new laws. People can hate it, protest it, deny it, but please, above all else, be responsible about it. Don't protest in large groups, or fill churches with 500 people, unmasked and not socially distanced. Don't crowd beaches or public arenas without being responsible. Don't push through WalMart's door as if it's Black Friday. Humanity cannot handle it. The whole entire health care and medical system cannot handle it. My son who works in retail cannot handle it. My 75 yo sister and her 80 yo Alzeimer's dh cannot handle it. Is their only choice to stay home and never socialize again? None of our small children have a choice about how irresponsible people act, can handle it.
A lot of pediatric deaths from flu this year. Very very small portion of children have poor outcomes from covid. Covid primarily is devastating to older folks. Older people need to stay home. But, ironically I see so many out when I have to go to the grocery store. Our grocery stores provide instacart pick ups or delivery but still the old people who know they are high risk are always shopping in the store.

I understand not allowing a free for all opening of all things but open we must. It's America. 50 different states with 50 different governors with different rules.
Cat Herder 05:26 AM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Our grocery stores provide instacart pick ups or delivery but still the old people who know they are high risk are always shopping in the store.

I understand not allowing a free for all opening of all things but open we must. It's America. 50 different states with 50 different governors with different rules.
Local instacart here is backed up almost 30 days for appointments. Once you finally get an appointment it gets canceled because of low stock. People from the city drive two hours out here because their suppliers became empty weeks ago.
Valerie928 06:55 AM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Local instacart here is backed up almost 30 days for appointments. Once you finally get an appointment it gets canceled because of low stock. People from the city drive two hours out here because their suppliers became empty weeks ago.
We don't have that problem here in upstate ny. We are backed up but up to a week at most. My elderly father uses grocery delivery and if he couldn't I would gladly shop for him.
MyAngels 08:04 AM 04-21-2020
I do think we should be opening back up, slowly but surely. Each individual person needs to be responsible for their own well being and that of their family.

I'd also like to see some of the billions that we're spending to prop up these large companies put into protecting our most vulnerable citizens. It's making me sick watching my DH's boss talk about "making bank" with the PPP loan he's getting for his business because he's still open, bringing in income, but the federal government is paying a big chunk of his bills for the next 2 months. Something just doesn't seem right with that.
happymom 08:24 AM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'd also like to see some of the billions that we're spending to prop up these large companies put into protecting our most vulnerable citizens. It's making me sick watching my DH's boss talk about "making bank" with the PPP loan he's getting for his business because he's still open, bringing in income, but the federal government is paying a big chunk of his bills for the next 2 months. Something just doesn't seem right with that.
My own company is doing this. We are truly a "small business" but I am appalled by it. Plus they cut our staff from 10 to 5, so technically the owners are not even using the PPP for what it was designed to do (keep people on payroll).

Business is slow, but technically we are "essential", we're still at least breaking even, but business is weird. Our hours have also been cut, so we are running on less than half of normal (and making about half of normal, too). Now, every day, boss has been complaining about how she will need to pay taxes on all of the free money she gets.

Ariana 05:05 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
A lot of pediatric deaths from flu this year. Very very small portion of children have poor outcomes from covid. Covid primarily is devastating to older folks. Older people need to stay home. But, ironically I see so many out when I have to go to the grocery store. Our grocery stores provide instacart pick ups or delivery but still the old people who know they are high risk are always shopping in the store.

My mom and dad both in their 70’s refuse to stop grocery shopping. I told them that if they sent me their grocery list I could get them a pickup time at the grocery store...also sent info on multiple businesses that do free pickups of produce and eggs that I use myself. Nope! They want to shop.
Michael 08:18 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My mom and dad both in their 70’s refuse to stop grocery shopping. I told them that if they sent me their grocery list I could get them a pickup time at the grocery store...also sent info on multiple businesses that do free pickups of produce and eggs that I use myself. Nope! They want to shop.
That’s probably the best thing for them. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in December and has held off treatment for several months. Now, she no longer wants treatment and she basically is ready to let go. One could say she is dying from coronavirus because she is immobilized and fearful. She’s been isolated at home alone and she’s 86 years old. I would much rather she was out with her face mask and shopping.
Josiegirl 03:54 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
That’s probably the best thing for them. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in December and has held off treatment for several months. Now, she no longer wants treatment and she basically is ready to let go. One could say she is dying from coronavirus because she is immobilized and fearful. She’s been isolated at home alone and she’s 86 years old. I would much rather she was out with her face mask and shopping.
Oh that's so sad. Does she have any sources that come in at all to help her, anyone that'll use masks/gloves and simply visit her(not sure if that's even allowed where she lives)?
I'm sorry Michael. It must be difficult watching this happen to a loved one.
Michael 10:19 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Oh that's so sad. Does she have any sources that come in at all to help her, anyone that'll use masks/gloves and simply visit her(not sure if that's even allowed where she lives)?
I'm sorry Michael. It must be difficult watching this happen to a loved one.
Thank you. My brother only goes by to drop off food. He told me he would never forgive himself if he gave her the virus, so he doesn’t stay there or go inside. I’ve sent them both n95 masks but the fear seems to be creating a bigger problem than the virus.
Valerie928 11:38 AM 04-22-2020
Thank you. My brother only goes by to drop off food. He told me he would never forgive himself if he gave her the virus, so he doesn’t stay there or go inside. I’ve sent them both n95 masks but the fear seems to be creating a bigger problem than the virus.
I am very sorry to hear this.
e.j. 04:01 PM 04-22-2020
I'm sorry to hear your mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. My own mother died from the same years ago at age 51. I remember how painful it was to watch her go through what she did and wouldn't wish that for anyone.
Tags:coronavirus, coronavirus - afterwards, covid-19, poll
1 2
Reply Up