Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much To Charge
midaycare 07:49 AM 12-20-2016
I want to find out what home daycares are charging in my area, but no one posts their prices. I tried to ask someone, but they looked at me like I had 3 heads and wouldn't tell me.

I think I can raise prices by as much as $15- $30 a week. Not for current clients, but new ones.

How to be a sleuth and figure out prices?

I've tried Craigslist - that's just for crazies around here (I will take all of your babies for $3 a day!)
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I want to find out what home daycares are charging in my area, but no one posts their prices. I tried to ask someone, but they looked at me like I had 3 heads and wouldn't tell me.

I think I can raise prices by as much as $15- $30 a week. Not for current clients, but new ones.

I've tried Craigslist - that's just for crazies around here (I will take all of your babies for $3 a day!)
Do you have a friend or family member that can call and ask? As a potential parent looking for care?

I know that many providers hate that but I see it as either post your rates so families can make an educated decision on whether your program fees fit their budget or don't.

But those providers that are hesitant to be transparent in my area are ALWAYS looking to fill spaces...

I want a family to know before they waste my time if my rates work for them or not.

You could always create a "fake" email account and email them all asking what their rates are....again as a potential parent.

My community of provider's used to be very competitive/secretive over all but since several long time veteran providers have retired, the new group of providers is much more open to sharing and supporting verses being so competitive. I think it benefits everyone to share and support.
midaycare 08:19 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you have a friend or family member that can call and ask? As a potential parent looking for care?

I know that many providers hate that but I see it as either post your rates so families can make an educated decision on whether your program fees fit their budget or don't.

But those providers that are hesitant to be transparent in my area are ALWAYS looking to fill spaces...

I want a family to know before they waste my time if my rates work for them or not.

You could always create a "fake" email account and email them all asking what their rates are....again as a potential parent.

My community of provider's used to be very competitive/secretive over all but since several long time veteran providers have retired, the new group of providers is much more open to sharing and supporting verses being so competitive. I think it benefits everyone to share and support.
I'm really trying not to get someone to call. I would hate it if someone did that to me.

Daycares are in such high demand right now that people can't go to work.
MarinaVanessa 08:25 AM 12-20-2016
Try calling your local child care resource and referral agency. Typically they can send you average rates per city/county etc.
LysesKids 08:32 AM 12-20-2016

I go to the state daycare websites to see the most recent Market rate survey & the subsidy payouts; here in TN the voucher rates haven't increased in years but I also found out from the market survey a few years back that I am still at about the 75% mark for infants in my county. I did the same for MO & AR when I lived there
Leigh 09:08 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I go to the state daycare websites to see the most recent Market rate survey & the subsidy payouts; here in TN the voucher rates haven't increased in years but I also found out from the market survey a few years back that I am still at about the 75% mark for infants in my county. I did the same for MO & AR when I lived there
the state reimburses less than I charge, but the market rate survey does help me find out what others are charging.
LysesKids 09:31 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
the state reimburses less than I charge, but the market rate survey does help me find out what others are charging.
Oh the subsidy rate here isn't worth going by if you are legally licensed exempt; I get almost twice what the state pays, but the Market rate is really helpful. I just wish they did it yearly or at least every 2 years
midaycare 09:34 AM 12-20-2016
Oh the subsidy rate here isn't worth going by if you are legally licensed exempt; I get almost twice what the state pays, but the Market rate is really helpful. I just wish they did it yearly or at least every 2 years
I need to find this market rate! Having trouble, but I will take another look at naptime. Thanks!
Max 09:36 AM 12-20-2016
How much of a difference is normal to charge between ages? I'm sure that, to a degree, it depends on the area...

For example, the old town I lived in there was a $45 difference in weekly rate between an infant/toddler and a preschooler. This was at one provider.

Where I live now (25 min away from the old town) the average weekly infant rate is only $23 more than a preschooler (pulled these rates from our state's site on rates - https://www.thinksmall.org/for_early..._and_marketing )

Right now I have my rates written with a $28 difference between infant and preschooler, and since there is a high demand, I wonder if I'm undercharging for an infant opening
Annalee 09:40 AM 12-20-2016
TN has a wide range of pricing/cost of living across the state, though! Two counties one way get triple what I get, two counties another way get half what i get, etc. When I did take state kids, the client had to match what I charged or I did not keep them. They need to update those subsidy rates but not gonna happen! The stars do offer a higher rate for subsidy pay but still not acceptable in my opinion. Not sure how other states are when it comes to child care pay!
daycarediva 09:42 AM 12-20-2016
Market rates. I also called centers. It's illegal to price set, which is why I think providers are hesitant to give rates to other providers. I list mine right on my website. Saves time.

Max- do a flat rate if you can get away with it. Make it a little towards the high end for infants and keep it throughout the entire time the child is with you. Infants are more work, but preschoolers eat more and use more supplies, so it evens out.
laundrymom 09:44 AM 12-20-2016
I'd put a post on your local FB sale
Site.
Hey, what's the going rate for ft daycare in town.
You'll get responses.
Max 09:48 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Max- do a flat rate if you can get away with it. Make it a little towards the high end for infants and keep it throughout the entire time the child is with you. Infants are more work, but preschoolers eat more and use more supplies, so it evens out.
I never thought of that (preschoolers using more so it evens out)! Good point
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
How much of a difference is normal to charge between ages? I'm sure that, to a degree, it depends on the area...

For example, the old town I lived in there was a $45 difference in weekly rate between an infant/toddler and a preschooler. This was at one provider.

Where I live now (25 min away from the old town) the average weekly infant rate is only $23 more than a preschooler (pulled these rates from our state's site on rates - https://www.thinksmall.org/for_early..._and_marketing )

Right now I have my rates written with a $28 difference between infant and preschooler, and since there is a high demand, I wonder if I'm undercharging for an infant opening
I do like Diva said and charge a flat rate for infants/toddlers. Once they turn two, the rate options are available. But since infant/toddler space is super hard to find, I charge a flat rate.

What are you thinking of charging for infants? If you would rather PM me, feel free... I can shed light on whether you are short changing yourself or under charging.
Max 10:21 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What are you thinking of charging for infants? If you would rather PM me, feel free... I can shed light on whether you are short changing yourself or under charging.
Thanks BC! I sent a PM
LysesKids 11:36 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
TN has a wide range of pricing/cost of living across the state, though! Two counties one way get triple what I get, two counties another way get half what i get, etc. When I did take state kids, the client had to match what I charged or I did not keep them. They need to update those subsidy rates but not gonna happen! The stars do offer a higher rate for subsidy pay but still not acceptable in my opinion. Not sure how other states are when it comes to child care pay!
Well unless WV has updated in the last 10 years when you take subsidy pay you can't ask the difference; I know a few other states have that same rule - you have to accept what the state pays and that is your final wage - most people in TN that receive subsidy help right now it's because they are on the families first program and as annalee states, we have to ask for the difference...

My understanding is that lower pay working families were frozen out of the daycare voucher program here in TN a few years back because there was too much of a waitlist
Controlled Chaos 11:57 AM 12-20-2016
I emailed a bunch of providers near me when I was first starting out and asked for their prices, about half replied and were happy to help. The one who didn't help...I asked DH to email them from his account as a prospective dcp I think its silly to hide them from each other. I would happily tell anyone my prices. There are plenty of kiddos to go around, no need to be sneaky.

I used to charged a flat rate, but then I decided I don't like infants and there is a HUGE demand for infant spots here. So I have made my 0-2 rate stupid high. Like center rates. Its the only way I can talk myself into even sibling infants of current kiddos. Then when they turn 2 it goes down to my normal rate, which is still a little high for a home daycare, but less than a center. I agree big kids cost more to provide food and supplies for, but its all about supply and demand.
Indoorvoice 01:10 PM 12-20-2016
Midaycare - I'm north of Grand Rapids in a rural area... Would that give you a good idea?i have several daycare friends in my area and I know what they charge. For what you say you offer I would think you could charge over that.
midaycare 01:26 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Midaycare - I'm north of Grand Rapids in a rural area... Would that give you a good idea?i have several daycare friends in my area and I know what they charge. For what you say you offer I would think you could charge over that.
Yes, that would help! I think I'm low, but really have no idea!
midaycare 01:28 PM 12-20-2016
Are you really that close? We are in GR all the time!
Indoorvoice 01:34 PM 12-20-2016
Most of my friends and other providers are charging anywhere from $28-33 flat rate per day. It's about 50/50 whether they charge based on attendance or enrollment. I am the only one I know of who charges higher daily rates for part time and drop in. Currently I list my rates as weekly to avoid the attendance argument. I do $150/week for full time, $100 per week for part time and $35 for drop in. I do not give vacation for families, but don't charge for my vacation.
daycare 01:37 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Try calling your local child care resource and referral agency. Typically they can send you average rates per city/county etc.
this....this is what I get every year. I don't take subsidized payments, but I can get a copy of what they pay out, which is usually a good amount.
CityGarden 03:08 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
this....this is what I get every year. I don't take subsidized payments, but I can get a copy of what they pay out, which is usually a good amount.
Is there a website with the info or do you need to call?
MarinaVanessa 03:09 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Is there a website with the info or do you need to call?
This usually depends on how your local R&R agency works. Ours has it on their website.
jenboo 03:13 PM 12-20-2016
I found a few daycares who listed their prices, i asked around and i emailed a few as a parent. I honestly wouldn't care of someone called me asking for prices. I don't care too much what other people charge.

I'm in line with centers. I do know one large home daycare that charges about $50 more a week than me.
midaycare 05:01 PM 12-20-2016
Most of my friends and other providers are charging anywhere from $28-33 flat rate per day. It's about 50/50 whether they charge based on attendance or enrollment. I am the only one I know of who charges higher daily rates for part time and drop in. Currently I list my rates as weekly to avoid the attendance argument. I do $150/week for full time, $100 per week for part time and $35 for drop in. I do not give vacation for families, but don't charge for my vacation.
Thanks! I'm higher at $160 a week, but still think I'm running low.
CityGarden 05:42 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This usually depends on how your local R&R agency works. Ours has it on their website.
It seems you have a great R&R agency! My local agency seems to heavily just push Head Start but maybe that is because I have not yet developed a relationship with them.
CityGarden 05:44 PM 12-20-2016

I looked at websites of local providers in my city and in surrounding cities with similar cost of living. I also looked and centers then I just started calling providers none directly in my city but in the close by areas that way I was not direct competition for them but could still use it as a bench mark - I also called those in my city but found they were less willing to be honest or had too different of a program from my own to compare.
284878 06:23 AM 12-21-2016
Go to great start to Quality.com. go in as parent looking for child care, search your ZIP code or your area. And then click on more information on the local daycares. The daycares that have stars are more likely to have their rates listed than the other daycares. In my area only 20% of the daycares have stars in about 75% of them have their rates on that site.
Remember it's against the law for you to call daycare and let them know that you're a daycare and ask for their rates. That's why even Tom, even suggest that you call as a parent looking for care verses calling as a daycare looking to compare rates.
Reply Up