Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Boymom's Avatar
Boymom Boymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 355
Default Seriously? Why, Just Why Can't She Get It???

I gave the daycare parents a letter that was attached to my updated contract a few weeks ago. The letter was very short and simple and basically said that I will start enforcing my late fees as per my contract.

Dcm didn't have payment last Friday so I charged her a late fee.

I was thinking, yay, this dcm is FINALLY going to get it that I will charge them if they pay late or pick up late.

Guess what she did today? The SAME thing that she did last Friday. She didn't pay me.....

I just wanted to say, for real???!!!

I don't know how else to tell her that I want to be paid by 5:30 at pickup!!! I don't want to, and I shouldn't have to, wait around for a dcp to come back to my house to pay me and I shouldn't have to meet them somewhere.

I just don't get it. She has one more time until I term her.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:44 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,143
Default

There are certain people that will feel that as long as they are willing to pay the fee, that you're okay with them being late.

Maybe you just need to spell it out for them, just because you charge a late fee, it's not okay to be late?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Boymom's Avatar
Boymom Boymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 355
Default

I agree! I definitely need to spell it out, although I thought I was being very blunt to her about everything. My contract states that if they pay late three times, then I will term them. I really like having dcb here, so I definitely don't want to term, but I don't like feeling like I don't have control over my business.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boymom View Post
I agree! I definitely need to spell it out, although I thought I was being very blunt to her about everything. My contract states that if they pay late three times, then I will term them. I really like having dcb here, so I definitely don't want to term, but I don't like feeling like I don't have control over my business.
That means next time, you tell her it's over. What about if payment is late, you tell her it has to be paid at next dropoff instead of outside daycare hours?
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 PM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

If she is still "forgetting" then your late fee isn't steep enough. I implemented an incremental late fee at one point. First time late....xx amount. 2nd time late within 6 months then the fee went up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 PM
racemom's Avatar
racemom racemom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: nebraska
Posts: 972
Default

I would warn her, next time she shows up on Friday without payment, you WILL terminate care. Make sure she knows you are serious. Also explain that she needs to have it AT pickup, and that does not mean she can pick up late.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Or say she can't bring payment back that night as you are busy(even if you are just going to sit on the couch) and tack on late fees for each day late meaning Monday she'll owe you x amount. Don't apologize and obviously term and replace.

I wouldn't want any family showing up at my house when I am closed. That's just rude. Even if you are home it's a boundary that they shouldn't cross.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2016, 05:13 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbauser View Post
If she is still "forgetting" then your late fee isn't steep enough. I implemented an incremental late fee at one point. First time late....xx amount. 2nd time late within 6 months then the fee went up.


I also have TWO rates now. Friday or last day in care at pickup=regular rate

Monday morning/first day in care at drop off= regular rate + $50 with the potential I don't have a space. I take drop ins if the space isn't paid in full.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 PM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post


I also have TWO rates now. Friday or last day in care at pickup=regular rate

Monday morning/first day in care at drop off= regular rate + $50 with the potential I don't have a space. I take drop ins if the space isn't paid in full.
Regular rate = late fee. So an extra $50 on Monday?

Or you up their daily rate?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 PM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

I had a dcm like this. She didn't like any of my suggestions to 'help' her pay on time. Argued everything (and not just about payments but every policy).

She was the type that had to be in control and really wanted to be my boss.

She did not remain a client for long.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
I had a dcm like this. She didn't like any of my suggestions to 'help' her pay on time. Argued everything (and not just about payments but every policy).

She was the type that had to be in control and really wanted to be my boss.

She did not remain a client for long.
Isn't it fun doing professional services for people who want to be the one in charge? Try doing a home reno job for someone who starts telling you how you're supposed to do something. Do it yourself then.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
Or say she can't bring payment back that night as you are busy(even if you are just going to sit on the couch) and tack on late fees for each day late meaning Monday she'll owe you x amount. Don't apologize and obviously term and replace.

I wouldn't want any family showing up at my house when I am closed. That's just rude. Even if you are home it's a boundary that they shouldn't cross.
I close at 6PM on Friday night. It is then the weekend. I don't do ANY business on the weekend. If they haven't paid me by close on Friday, it has to wait until Monday morning and it's a $30 late fee.

I used to tell clients it was $10 day late fee. So they thought they could show up any time Friday night, or over the weekend to pay me. A few times I even had clients come by on a weekend...see I was gone and therefore argue they didn't owe the fee because they "tried" to pay me.

So now it's paid by Friday at close, or it waits to Monday. I won't open the door to a weekend stalker. And they don't come in the door on Monday without full payment and full late fee.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 AM
Nurse Jackie's Avatar
Nurse Jackie Nurse Jackie is offline
new provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 261
Default

I use to have this same problem so I followed someone's advice on here and changed my policy on payment. Since I don't have anyone dropping off after 10am that's my cut off time for payment on Friday. If I don't recieve payment by 10am at 10:01am a $30 fee is added on. So far so good!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

The no payments over the weekend thing didn't work for me. I use a cash envelope budget system and for a long time I NEEDED that money, so I much rather get it on a saturday morning then on monday morning. Especially in the old days before mobile banking!

My parents all paid by check so I told parents while payments were due by 5pm on Fridays that I highly suggested that they brought it in with child on Friday mornings. I'd even mention it at drop off on Friday mornings and then they could tell me to my face "I will have it at pick up". That alone was enough for them to not forget.

With your dcm I would remind her next Friday morning that payment is due at pick up and if she does not have it this will be her 3rd late payment and that means you will have to terminate care.

I've had a lot of parents switch to square cash as payment method and for that I require it be made BEFORE they walk in to pick up on Fridays.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Missjaime's Avatar
Missjaime Missjaime is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 69
Default

I recently got a square reader thing to accept credit/debit card payments. I let parents know that if they "forget" to pay on the correct day (i.e. - forget their check) they can use the Square reader for a 3.5% fee. Almost everyone has some kind of card on them at all times, so this has worked for me so far.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boymom View Post
I gave the daycare parents a letter that was attached to my updated contract a few weeks ago.

Dcm didn't have payment last Friday so I charged her a late fee.

I was thinking, yay, this dcm is FINALLY going to get it that I will charge them if they pay late or pick up late.

Guess what she did today? The SAME thing that she did last Friday. She didn't pay me.....
DCM believes that you will charge her a late fee. She simply does not mind paying it. That is what she is showing you.

You will have to decide if you are willing to continue to allow it for extra pay.

The reality is she does "get it" and is following your policy.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:57 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
I close at 6PM on Friday night. It is then the weekend. I don't do ANY business on the weekend. If they haven't paid me by close on Friday, it has to wait until Monday morning and it's a $30 late fee.

I used to tell clients it was $10 day late fee. So they thought they could show up any time Friday night, or over the weekend to pay me. A few times I even had clients come by on a weekend...see I was gone and therefore argue they didn't owe the fee because they "tried" to pay me.


So now it's paid by Friday at close, or it waits to Monday. I won't open the door to a weekend stalker. And they don't come in the door on Monday without full payment and full late fee.
And I still get payed Monday's for the week (haven't had any reason to do Friday for upcoming week), but I'll go on a case by case basis. Payments are due by close on Monday's and I ask for payment in the morning, if it's missed I send a text reminding to pay by close that day. I also do no pay, no stay...so if payment is not made, care is unavailable Tuesday, it's looser but like I said, no problems so far.

I don't do late fees for the point that most people throw money at their problems I just won't provide care. Period. And I don't allow anyone to my property after hours or weekends for any reason.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
DCM believes that you will charge her a late fee. She simply does not mind paying it. That is what she is showing you.

You will have to decide if you are willing to continue to allow it for extra pay.

The reality is she does "get it" and is following your policy.
I agree, people throw money at their problems instead of fixing it. I think she should do payments by drop off Friday and turn away, if it's not in hand stating the amount due. This would be a big policy change but them maybe dcm would get it then.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-01-2016, 12:01 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie View Post
I use to have this same problem so I followed someone's advice on here and changed my policy on payment. Since I don't have anyone dropping off after 10am that's my cut off time for payment on Friday. If I don't recieve payment by 10am at 10:01am a $30 fee is added on. So far so good!
Yep, agree! That way it becomes dcm's problem not the provider.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
DCM believes that you will charge her a late fee. She simply does not mind paying it. That is what she is showing you.

You will have to decide if you are willing to continue to allow it for extra pay.

The reality is she does "get it" and is following your policy.
This ^^^ is THE reason I have a graduated late fee

Those that simply don't mind throwing money at the problem, find out real fast that the only real solution is "Don't be late!"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Boymom's Avatar
Boymom Boymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 355
Default

Thank you so much everyone! I love this forum :-) I LOVE the idea of increasing the fee each time they are late. I thought $10 would be enough, but apparently not to her!

AND I love that y'all don't let them come back on the weekend to pay. Sometimes I really do think that my dcp's think I just hang around at my house all weekend and that I don't ever do anything! Even if I want to relax at my house (which I normally don't because I work here!!), I don't want to see them! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I had a family that did not care about spending the extra $$

1st late fee $50
2nd late fee $100
3rd late fee, get lost....lol

and I meant it....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM
thrivingchildcarecom's Avatar
thrivingchildcarecom thrivingchildcarecom is offline
thrivingchildcare.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 393
Default

Yeah, I know! They don't realize (or care) that you will have to make multiple trips to the bank. You may need to do what I do and shoot her a reminder on Thursdays until she gets the hang of it. Otherwise, CHARGE HER (music playing) LOL.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract - revisions, notification letter, policy changes, updating contract

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming