Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loathe Whining!!
Josiegirl 02:02 AM 01-13-2018
How do you curb it successfully? Lots of things bug me but whining has to be one at the top of the list. And it gets sooo much attention from the parents by giving in and giving them what they want. Not to mention one of the dcgs(3 1/2 yo sisters) will give the other what she wants when she whines for it.
I keep telling the dcgs it does not get them anything at dc. They will lose the toys if that's what they're whining about and it usually is. For these 2 dcgs it's ALL about the toys. I know I should probably ignore it the best I can but I can't. I am trying to teach them how to ask for things or say 'when you're done, may I please have it?'
Either it's an extremely slow process which I don't have the time or patience for anymore or they're using it because it's what works for them.
Help please before I tear all my hair out?
Thanks!!
racemom 07:56 AM 01-13-2018
Everytime you hear someone whine, tell them we don't whine at daycare. If it continues i would lead them away from the group saying you must need some time to sit and think about how to nicely ask for something.
MomBoss 08:42 AM 01-13-2018
I have a child like this. I tell them I cant listen to them until they can talk in a normal voice. So I ignore them until they do so.
fifi 10:42 AM 01-13-2018
Oh my God, whining is absolutely the worst. It is designed to be irritating so as to get immediate attention and almost always works because people just want the whining to stop. Where I work, we have a child who whines and cries every lunch time when it's time to pack up. He knows how to close all his containers, because I have taught him how to close each one, and sat and watched him do it by himself. But everyone in his family gives in the minute he starts whining. Now I just say, "I don't listen to whining," and walk away. When he finally finishes packing up, I go back to him and say, "See! You can do it! Stop saying 'I can't,' because I know you can." He does the same thing ever time he has to change his clothes after having an accident.
HappyEverAfter 05:34 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by racemom:
Everytime you hear someone whine, tell them we don't whine at daycare. If it continues i would lead them away from the group saying you must need some time to sit and think about how to nicely ask for something.
THis is exactly what I do and it seems to work. On the rare occasion that it isn’t working and I find myself with a constant whiner, I tell them they must be over tired and need to take a nap and down they go. When that nap is over I usually find a total attitude improvement.
curiouskids 09:56 AM 01-15-2018
I have always told my own kids "I can't understand what you are saying when you talk like that." And then pretend to not know what they said until they use a better voice. It seems to help. You respond so they don't feel ignored but you don't give in to to the whine. I just keep repeating "Sorry, I can't understand you" and go about my business.

As for the dcks giving into the whining... maybe they will start following your lead and not "understand" when they whine?
Reply Up