Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Over The Screaming Stage?
Christian Mother 11:03 AM 03-29-2012
My 2 1/2 dcb today keeps screaming every time he gets upset over something...anything. I keep reminding him to use his words but he sqills and it's a high pitch sqill...I am totally not a 100% well today...I am getting over something and I am not sure what it is...have had no voice for the past 2 days and now a horrible cough. One of the kids had croup maybe I have the adult croup? But I am on the mend but totally not back to 100%...I just can't deal with this sqill...

How do you teach them to use there words...do you exhnore it all together or continue asking to have them voice there words then whine or scream...I know it's the age but this is something that just started to day...I mean I've noticed it in the past but today it's been all day long. I am hoping it's a phase which he'll grow out of pronto!!
DCBlessings27 07:17 PM 03-29-2012
I have a 2.5yo dcg who cries every time she gets upset--hurt, toy taken, anything. She flips out and shrieks about seeing a fly. I'm over it. I am trying to teach her to use her words. Based on what I've read on this forum, I have been trying something with her. If she fusses, I have assigned a place (hallway) for her to go to cry until she can use her words. It allows her to calm down without it giving her attn for throwing a tantrum. It doesn't always work, but it is getting better. She's starting to figure out how to use her words. The tantrums are getting better as well.
Christian Mother 08:58 PM 03-29-2012
I do the same thing with this little guy...he gets to go to the "crying room" and hang out in there with the door open of course til he's able to calm down. I simple say..."when your finished crying, you may come out". Then he is instantly better but as soon as I hear even a peep again he's back in. But this is diff. it's not a tantrum scream or shriek. He seems to be making it for the noise or bc he gets a response to it. I've tried just exnoring it. But it's all day long...when he doesn't have the toy he wants or if someone is trying to take his toy or he isn't able to do something on his own he gets frustrated and starts shrieking... it did get better as the day wore on but man...I was over it...Mond. will be a new day for sure!
SunshineMama 05:10 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
My 2 1/2 dcb today keeps screaming every time he gets upset over something...anything. I keep reminding him to use his words but he sqills and it's a high pitch sqill...I am totally not a 100% well today...I am getting over something and I am not sure what it is...have had no voice for the past 2 days and now a horrible cough. One of the kids had croup maybe I have the adult croup? But I am on the mend but totally not back to 100%...I just can't deal with this sqill...

How do you teach them to use there words...do you exhnore it all together or continue asking to have them voice there words then whine or scream...I know it's the age but this is something that just started to day...I mean I've noticed it in the past but today it's been all day long. I am hoping it's a phase which he'll grow out of pronto!!
I got so sick of it that I started putting them in time out for screaming (I have almost-3 year old twins). After 1 day of being in time out a million times, they stopped! HURRAY!

Every time they screamed I told them "No screaming at *****'s house." Put them in time out for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes I told them, "You can get up now but remember no screaming at ******'s house." Now they walk around saying "No screaming."

SOOOO glad that worked because I wa seriously considering terming since their screaming was effecting my little dd and she was mimicking them.
Christian Mother 08:41 AM 03-30-2012
Don't I know it...once one does it the whole group does it...Fri's I don't have this little guy. I've been sick all week but have been watching them. My husband has been home a couple days on the worse days I've been sick and he has said this little guy is a instigator. He is, but I am a stickler on him and he is normally well behaved when I'm around him. But man he was a stinker this week!
MizzCheryl 10:21 AM 03-30-2012
They can always tell when I fell bad and seems like they take advantage of it.
Seems like if I am sick the kids are much worse.
That screaming is my number one pet peeve. I hope you get to feeling better.
TGIF!
Tags:screaming
Reply Up