Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Two Interviews In A Row....

One was a 'yes' and one was a 'no'.

I got this cute little 26 month old little girl. She's so smart and funny. I spent the whole day with her today and she was so good. No asking for mommy, no tantrums, no crying and very co-operative and interested in whatever I offered her.
I thought I would try some Monetessori trays, so I made four different ones. She loved them, and spent a good half an hour working on them.

Then, I had an interview this afternoon with a mom with a 9 month old. It was part time only. The baby was so cute, but really I knew I don't want infants when I saw her crawling around. I told the mom I was really sorry, but I didn't think it would work out with only part time and all. But, secretly I was thinking... heavens no! Plus, she was still breastfeeding and not using a sippy cup yet. And, the mom wasn't sure she even got the job yet. Mom looked so sad when she left, I just felt proud of myself for saying no.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
One was a 'yes' and one was a 'no'.

I got this cute little 26 month old little girl. She's so smart and funny. I spent the whole day with her today and she was so good. No asking for mommy, no tantrums, no crying and very co-operative and interested in whatever I offered her.
I thought I would try some Monetessori trays, so I made four different ones. She loved them, and spent a good half an hour working on them.

Then, I had an interview this afternoon with a mom with a 9 month old. It was part time only. The baby was so cute, but really I knew I don't want infants when I saw her crawling around. I told the mom I was really sorry, but I didn't think it would work out with only part time and all. But, secretly I was thinking... heavens no! Plus, she was still breastfeeding and not using a sippy cup yet. And, the mom wasn't sure she even got the job yet. Mom looked so sad when she left, I just felt proud of myself for saying no.
I don't want to come off the wrong way, but do you not inquire about age before setting up interviews?? I don't take infants either, so anyone looking to interview with a child under 12 months is simply turned away BEFORE an interview can even happen (or put on my waiting list, depending on the situation). If I *did* take children under 12 months and required them to be daycare ready (on a sippy, off the boob, etc) I would ask questions on the phone/in email to see where the child was before setting up an interview to save everyone a whole lot of wasted time. Also, I inquire about schedules before setting up interviews too. I will take part-timers, but they are charged a full-time fee. I always ask what hours a parent is looking for before discussing ANYTHING further.

I'm glad the first interview went well, did mom sign up?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

You're so right Littlemissmuffett. I knew the child's age and thought I would be ok with it, but after seeing her crawling around on the floor I knew I wasn't prepared for an infant. I'm grateful I could go with my gut on that and not agree to something I'm not wanting to do.

Also, it would limit how the older children could play with smaller toys, sensory tubs and outside play. I just wouldn't be able to get in there with them while eagle-eyeing an infant.

Yes, the mom signed up! My first day care kid!! Yippee!

Last edited by Happy Hearts; 07-17-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: edited to answer question
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You're so right Littlemissmuffett. I knew the child's age and thought I would be ok with it, but after seeing her crawling around on the floor I knew I wasn't prepared for an infant. I'm grateful I could go with my gut on that and not agree to something I'm not wanting to do.

Also, it would limit how the older children could play with smaller toys, sensory tubs and outside play. I just wouldn't be able to get in there with them while eagle-eyeing an infant.

Yes, the mom signed up! My first day care kid!! Yippee!
Well, I'm so glad you were able to determine that infants are not for you... and before actually signing one up! I didn't realize that you were new to daycare!

Glad the first interview worked out! When does she start?

Tags
interview, interview - multiple