Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Chaos Coordinator :)

Default Interviewed but...

I had an interview today, she gets here and we go through everything she needs and all my info blah blah blah

then she says on the way out the door...

"Well this is just so I have back up care lined up. DCG is starting a new daycare Tuesday and i just wanted to interview a few more in case she doesn't like it or something. Plus if they close for a day or so I need to bring DCG somewhere"

Argh! Really? I know people need back up care (I highly recommend it to my parents in case I need to close), but I feel like I should have at least be let in on this prior. I don't do drop in care normally, mainly because I've been full and a drop in would put me over my allowed numbers. Right now I have one ft spot open so if she decides the other provider won't work I have space but I'm looking to fill that space so I can't guarantee it to her or be available for drop in if it is filled.

I'm thinking though that this may be a red flag. She's already selected a provider but is still looking in case DCG doesn't like it or "something." I just needed to vent as i feel like it was a waste of my time and got my hopes of filling this empty spot up!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't know, I have mixed feelings on this....On the one hand, I know how hard you have to work to make your house look great, and how excited you get before an interview. It's a lot of stress for me, so I feel that it was rude and she should have told you that on the phone. At that point, you could have decided on whether or not it would be worth it to interview her. But....on the other hand, maybe she will keep you in mind and perhaps refer you to a family that may really need your services! You never know...word of mouth can be a great thing!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

That would irritate me. What did she tell her needs were when she talked with you on the phone?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4 View Post
I don't know, I have mixed feelings on this....On the one hand, I know how hard you have to work to make your house look great, and how excited you get before an interview. It's a lot of stress for me, so I feel that it was rude and she should have told you that on the phone. At that point, you could have decided on whether or not it would be worth it to interview her. But....on the other hand, maybe she will keep you in mind and perhaps refer you to a family that may really need your services! You never know...word of mouth can be a great thing!
I disagree completely. The mom misrepresented (or straight out lied) about her daycare needs. If she was honest, the OP wouldnt have interviewed her (and it is the OPs right to say no to an interview). It is a waste of the OPs time to pretend that you are interested in a full time spot when you know good and well that you do not need that full time spot at that time. I dont have time to interview random people whose immediate needs I cannot meet and then hope that they need me in the future or that they refer me to a friend. I would much rather find my own people to interview, than to do interviews like this that are a waste of time. I would not be interested in working with this mom in the future at all. she sounds perfectly ready to daycare hop and otherwise waste peoples time.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Chaos Coordinator :)

It was irritating, not just because I did extra cleaning and what not but mainly because I'm looking to fill a full time spot and advertising as such. If I fill this spot I don't have room for her child in the future and I don't do occasional drop in care usually because of numbers (which my website states). I have done drop in care in the past but with drops ins I have a whole addition portion that I go over during an interview, none of that I covered with this lady because she said she needed full time care

She made mention of multiple provider's they've had bad experiences with so I do think she seems like a daycare hopper.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

What a waste of time.
Perhaps you dodged a bullet. I noticed you quoted the mom saying that If her daughter does not like the other provider then she would move her to you ???

Who's the parent ??

Ugh I agree with cheer that was not cool of her to not let you know that information up front.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
It was irritating, not just because I did extra cleaning and what not but mainly because I'm looking to fill a full time spot and advertising as such. If I fill this spot I don't have room for her child in the future and I don't do occasional drop in care usually because of numbers (which my website states). I have done drop in care in the past but with drops ins I have a whole addition portion that I go over during an interview, none of that I covered with this lady because she said she needed full time care

She made mention of multiple provider's they've had bad experiences with so I do think she seems like a daycare hopper.
Curious to know your addition of what you cover for a drop in that would be different from a full time.

Tags
back up care, back up provider, interview