Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Homeschool A 6th-8th Grader?
AfterSchoolMom 02:43 PM 03-21-2013
I'm looking for advice and info on the possibility of homeschooling my middle school age child. Does anyone do this that may be up for me bugging them via pm?
momofsix 02:54 PM 03-21-2013
I home-schooled our oldest daughter from 5th through graduation. The others started going to school earlier In their school "careers".
It was a loooong time ago, but feel free to ask me any ?'s if you'd like
Heidi 03:02 PM 03-21-2013
Two of my boys hs'd "ish" for most of HS. They both graduated from one of the online charter schools in our state. We had a very good experience, but I was working outside the home at the time, so it could get a bit lonely.

My daughter (now 15) did the same for 7th grade, but I had a job where I could stop in a lot and she could sometimes ride along with me. It was academically not the year she learned the most, but socially a fantastic thing. She was having a lot of teasing issues at school, and the year away gave her a chance to become more comfortable with herself.

I just asked her how she felt about, and she says she thinks she learned plenty and she is really glad she did it. She now attends a charter project-based HS which she .

I don't know if either of these options exist for you, or even why your considering homeschooling, but feel free to PM me. My own kids are pretty "quirky"...moderately gifted (per IQ tests), not very motivated unless something interests them, a little "out there" like their mother...and father...and step-father. Heck, we're all wierd!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:23 PM 03-21-2013
I hsed dd from2nd, she is now in college. Ds is in 10th and has lays hsed. You can pm me.
AfterSchoolMom 06:29 PM 03-21-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My own kids are pretty "quirky"...moderately gifted (per IQ tests), not very motivated unless something interests them, a little "out there" like their mother...and father...and step-father. Heck, we're all wierd!
This also describes mine!

Thanks ladies, I'll pm you!
Angelsj 08:12 PM 03-21-2013
Have before and am now I have several in college, but my youngest two are 11-13, so right in that range. Feel free to PM.
Michael 09:26 PM 03-21-2013
Home schooled both my children. We currently use www.k12.com for our daughter who is 13.
Little Star75 11:47 PM 03-21-2013
I currently homeschool my 7th grade dd, this is our first year and I can say we both have struggled. Please pm me if any questions
Angelsj 04:47 AM 03-22-2013
I have both schooled throughout and brought one home for 7th-8th grade, and I will say, it is NOT easy. You must be prepared to battle, negotiate, cajole, and maybe even give some time off as they struggle through this age range.
Heidi 05:44 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
This also describes mine!

Thanks ladies, I'll pm you!
I'd start with someone who is in your own state (??), since each state has different homeschool laws and options (such as the virtual schools).

In WI, for instance, if our school district does not offer a virtual school, we can apply for open enrollment to another district. The virtual school option is a good one because your child still gets recorded credits. But, even among virtual schools there are differences. For instance, mine had a lot of read and answer multiple choice questionscourses, which were great for my sons. That's what they wanted....give me the material, test my knowledge, let me move on and do something else.

Other virtual schools have more interactive lessons online, like videos, and teachers that give feedback directly. That was better for my duaghter, because she needed more direction.

Personally, I would use a blended approach...figure out the minimum that needs to be done each day or week or month (either a curriculum you plan or a virtual school) then encourage the children to follow their interests for the balance of their day. Michael's daughter makes films, my daughter loves art, and my friend's son was the "lego king".
Holiday Park 11:13 AM 03-22-2013
I use k12 too ! My (almost 16 year old) has used the K12 through out state (GCA-Ga cyber academy) since he was in the 5TH grade. He likes it . Its very convenient for him because in 4TH grade being in a regular classroom setting at a desk wasn't a good fit for him any more. My two middle kids are in regular style school but that works for them ;-) .
As for my youngest, I will start out home schooling him and see where we go with him as he gets older.
itlw8 11:40 AM 03-22-2013
My hat is off to all you ladies. just homework with my ds who is ADD and LD drove me crazy. and an hour with dgd who is gifted and ADD wipes me out.
AfterSchoolMom 07:29 PM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Home schooled both my children. We currently use www.k12.com for our daughter who is 13.
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
I use k12 too ! My (almost 16 year old) has used the K12 through out state (GCA-Ga cyber academy) since he was in the 5TH grade. He likes it . Its very convenient for him because in 4TH grade being in a regular classroom setting at a desk wasn't a good fit for him any more. My two middle kids are in regular style school but that works for them ;-) .
As for my youngest, I will start out home schooling him and see where we go with him as he gets older.

I looked up k12 and it is available in my state. My questions to you both are, are they glued to the computer? Is there a set amount of time that they must log in each day, or are you free to pursue things that they're interested in? How are they tested?

Thank you for those who have given me input and PM's with info so far, I really appreciate it! Keep it coming, please, if you have anything to say.
Little Star75 08:10 PM 03-22-2013
You might want to start off by contacting the school your dd/ds belongs to. They will guide you through the process. Im in California and I was referred to the school "Connecting Waters"
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up