Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground regulations Kansas.
missT 05:31 PM 04-12-2015
So I'm nearly done setting up my in home daycare and I'm working on my backyard play area. I'm having trouble finding specific information on how high something can be before it needs a "use zone" (aka fall zone in other states) with wood chips. I know in some places as long as something is not higher than 18 inches it doesn't need anything under it. I've been looking through my licensing book but can't seem to find specifics on height. If any other Kansas providers have any info or know where I can get it I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Thriftylady 05:47 PM 04-12-2015
I was licensed in Kansas back in 2000 and around then. I would call licensing and ask. I seem to remember it was 1 inch per XX height.
missT 06:30 PM 04-12-2015
Thanks, I'll get a hold of licensing.
cara041083 06:42 PM 04-12-2015
I am not sure on the height regulations, but I had a small swing set and I had to take it down, or put the pad material under it. I ended up taking it down due to cost. I had it in the grass and they wouldn't let me keep it.
NoMoreJuice! 07:56 PM 04-12-2015
Kansas is also pretty tough on the type of material under the playsets. Make sure you show licensing the material first and get it approved before you waste money and put the wrong kind down (like I did!). All wood chips/ mulch are not created equal I learned the hard way.
Thriftylady 07:59 PM 04-12-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Kansas is also pretty tough on the type of material under the playsets. Make sure you show licensing the material first and get it approved before you waste money and put the wrong kind down (like I did!). All wood chips/ mulch are not created equal I learned the hard way.
Yes, they are picky about that!
KSDC 07:46 AM 04-13-2015
This was from my KDHE inspector last year. I have a couple of Little Tykes things with slides and I was wondering about ground cover.

"On your Little Tykes, if where the child stands or sits is less than 4 feet high, the KDHE guidance is that you just need a “soft surface”.....if it is more than 4 feet or if it is anchored play equipment you need to have “approved” ground cover—which is sand, pea gravel, rubber mulch, mulch that is playground approved, etc."
Jack Sprat 07:59 AM 04-13-2015
I was told that anything taller then 3ft, that they can climb, and swings need to have 6in of cushion. I use sand.
Reply Up