Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare versus babysitting
ilgirltrist11 07:20 PM 09-15-2015
I am so irritated with people. I live in Illinois and will have 3 babies by December which is the limit on kids until the age of 2. Then I will have 2 toddlers and my 2 school kids. I will be completely full by the end of the year. Before you ask any questions about why I'm waiting until the end of the year.....I'm pregnant and due on December 10 so I'm taking December off.

When I start taking kids again, I will be full. So I have a few ladies who need childcare but I can only provide childcare until the end of November since I'm due soon after and honestly don't trust my body at all! I got a message from one particular lady who asked about openings. I told her that I only had an opening until I go on leave in late November/early December. This message was sent to me in the middle of August. So I heard nothing from her until September 5th to which she complained about her baby's father who doesn't work and doesn't want to take care of his child.

Nothing was said until I got a message tonight from her asking if she could bring her daughter starting tomorrow. I told her that I can't. I have not met with her about paperwork, despite numerous attempts to get her to fill them out plus no physical. She said that she sees this as babysitting. I was infuriated! I didn't spent almost a year doing my part to become licensed to have people think like that! I'm almost ready to just delete her and be done but I do need the money.

I just need to vent. I am not a babysitter for crying out loud......
LysesKids 07:49 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by ilgirltrist11:
I am so irritated with people. I live in Illinois and will have 3 babies by December which is the limit on kids until the age of 2. Then I will have 2 toddlers and my 2 school kids. I will be completely full by the end of the year. Before you ask any questions about why I'm waiting until the end of the year.....I'm pregnant and due on December 10 so I'm taking December off.

When I start taking kids again, I will be full. So I have a few ladies who need childcare but I can only provide childcare until the end of November since I'm due soon after and honestly don't trust my body at all! I got a message from one particular lady who asked about openings. I told her that I only had an opening until I go on leave in late November/early December. This message was sent to me in the middle of August. So I heard nothing from her until September 5th to which she complained about her baby's father who doesn't work and doesn't want to take care of his child.

Nothing was said until I got a message tonight from her asking if she could bring her daughter starting tomorrow. I told her that I can't. I have not met with her about paperwork, despite numerous attempts to get her to fill them out plus no physical. She said that she sees this as babysitting. I was infuriated! I didn't spent almost a year doing my part to become licensed to have people think like that! I'm almost ready to just delete her and be done but I do need the money.

I get this... I get people looking at me as just a sitter, when in reality it's my only income/career since my husband was killed. This would be a parent I would pass on; she obviously wants to do things her way and when it suits her - I need to fill a spot also, but I have learned to follow my gut...
Thriftylady 08:11 PM 09-15-2015
I would pass also. If you have been having issues getting paperwork, you will probably have issues with other things also.
Play Care 03:14 AM 09-16-2015
"You may view it that way, but the I am licensed by the State to provide child care services and I assure you, they won't let it slide because of what YOU think. I wish you luck in your child care search."

Once she had started complaining about the child's father would have been my exit cue - someone who thinks personal business should be shared with nearly strangers is not someone I want as a client anyway.
littletots 04:01 AM 09-16-2015
Ouch. Isn't it is weird when dcp reach out to you, disappear, and touch base again? I always think they found someone less price and, don't like them and searching again. I like that she was complaining. Rotf. You're full and luckily can't interview. Congrats on your baby! You're so right about the babysitter part. I agree. Absolutely wrong word to use around us.
DaveA 04:02 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would pass also. If you have been having issues getting paperwork, you will probably have issues with other things also.
That was my thought. I'm going to go out on a limb and say anyone who wouldn't contact you for a while then suddenly want care tomorrow isn't very good at being respectful of others. Sometimes the $ just isn't worth the headache, especially for the short time you'll be open before your leave.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:10 AM 09-16-2015
You could always tell her that if she thinks you are a babysitter, you will have to charge babysitter rates. In my area, that is $10-12 an hour

Seriously, I would pass too. You don't want to deal with people like that and stress yourself out while pregnant. Not worth it! Congrats on the baby!
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 09-16-2015
Congratulations about the baby!!

In regards to the parent that is interested but you are unsure.... I'd just go with my instincts,.... if it doesn't feel like a good fit, it probably isn't. As for being called a babysitter...don't let it stress you.... most people don't do it to be rude or mean. They simply don't know the differences or care. I don't let it bother me.
BabyMonkeys 06:20 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
"You may view it that way, but the I am licensed by the State to provide child care services and I assure you, they won't let it slide because of what YOU think. I wish you luck in your child care search."

Once she had started complaining about the child's father would have been my exit cue - someone who thinks personal business should be shared with nearly strangers is not someone I want as a client anyway.

Leigh 06:40 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by ilgirltrist11:

Babysitting? Oh, well then SURE! Bring the baby, the food, diapers, some lunch for ME (or just give me money to order pizza), and be here an hour early to clean up the mess I make. And, since I am BABYSITTING, it's gonna be $10/hr. MMM-Kay?
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Babysitting? Oh, well then SURE! Bring the baby, the food, diapers, some lunch for ME (or just give me money to order pizza), and be here an hour early to clean up the mess I make. And, since I am BABYSITTING, it's gonna be $10/hr. MMM-Kay?
...and I like can bring my boyfriend and a few like girlfriends too right?
Leigh 07:14 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...and I like can bring my boyfriend and a few like girlfriends too right?
Of COURSE you can!
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 09-16-2015
They can call me the babysitter as long as they pay up front and follow my policies. I don't care if they can't even learn my first name anymore...

The last minute stuff won't fly, though.
Play Care 10:48 AM 09-16-2015
I got the sense from the OP that the issue was that since the potential client viewed her as "just" a babysitter, she didn't feel it was important to get the forms and such back, NOT that the OP was upset about being called a babysitter.

I find that to be a legitimate issue. I know it's one thing not to care what one calls you so long as you get paid on time, but I do think the use of the term babysitter does make it more difficult to get potential clients (and sometimes even current clients ) to take you seriously and get you the things you need (ie: paperwork, etc)
Jack Sprat 11:31 AM 09-16-2015
Had to share this with you OP. A conversation my DD who is 6 had with a school mate.

Little Girl: Does your mom babysit all those kids?

DD: No, it's not nice to sit on the babies.

The kids usually stare at her like she is odd. I get it. My oldest DD is a babysitter, I am not.
Reply Up