Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hypersensitive Toddler
caligirl 01:43 PM 12-09-2015
I've done this job a long, long, long time.... I've had every kind of child come through my daycare. Every personality...temperament...etc.. I just kind of laugh and say 'there's always ONE in the group that's a bit of a challenge'..... well, not this group. THIS group, I have 3.
6 full timers....3 are great, 3 are not.
8 month old...had him since 2 months old.... separation anxiety just kicked in this week. I best not even look the other way and he's having a nervous breakdown.... SCREAMING so loud that if I didn't know better, I'd think he was being tortured....but no, he's just fine and happy and playing until he even THINKS I'm about to move...then he goes out of his mind....
12 mo. old.....she's fairly new.....understandable she has separation anxiety...hard age to start in daycare, but she is actually doing better as the days go...still, she does not like me moving from one side of the room to the other.....she has a cow...
Then there is the 16 months old.....unbelievably hypersensitive. Worst I've ever seen...does not like to be touched by other children..adults are fine, he loves the attention..not with the kids...doesn't want to be bothered. He will cry if a feather lands by his foot and he isn't prepared for it.... So one of the other two start to cry and he chimes right in.....but being so sensitive, he can't pull out of it for a long time.....he's VERY "young" for his age....no words yet, very small, seems more like a 9 month old than a 16 mo. He doesn't seem to understand as much as he should at this age....but that could be because of his personality...... so question is......more about this 'sensitive' one than the other two........have any of you had toddlers that are EXTREMELY sensitive?? It's so bad, that I am CONSTANTLY having to tell the older ones to leave him alone, that he doesn't want to play. I've tried dividing the playroom and putting a gate up so he has his own side, but as I'm sure you can guess, he doesn't like that.... how do you deal with children like this with other children??
If someone cries... he cries
If someone hands him a toy... he cries while pushing it away
If someone sits too close to him... he cries
If he is redirected...he cries
If someone brushes by him .... he cries
If someone squats down to see what he's playing with...he cries...they are too close to him... in his space...
again, he's only that way with children...not us adults...
and he's very very very fussy and cranky whenever anything isn't feeling right...teething...a cold...lack of sleep...
How on earth do you include a little one with this type of personality in the group??
Michael 02:07 PM 12-09-2015
More threads on Sensitive Children: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=sensitive
Tags:hypersensitive, sensitive, separation anxiety
Reply Up