Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Longer hours vs more kids
Mom2Two 02:11 PM 12-30-2016
Right now I'm feeling like I would feel up to having more kids here if my hours were shorter. I am sure tired by 6pm (or later on some days).

Right now I advertise 7am til 6pm but I am feeling like I'd rather do 7:30 til 5:30pm. And I have two FT dck, two at 20+ hours, and two at 10+ hours (they are the late ones).

That's still a 10 hour day...but I feel like it's more doable. What are other people's hours? Do you all feel like you'd rather have more kids with shorter hours or less kids with longer hours?
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Right now I'm feeling like I would feel up to having more kids here if my hours were shorter. I am sure tired by 6pm (or later on some days).

Right now I advertise 7am til 6pm but I am feeling like I'd rather do 7:30 til 5:30pm. And I have two FT dck, two at 20+ hours, and two at 10+ hours (they are the late ones).

That's still a 10 hour day...but I feel like it's more doable. What are other people's hours? Do you all feel like you'd rather have more kids with shorter hours or less kids with longer hours?
I work less hours and make more money than previous years due to opting to use contracted hours only.

I no longer have kids from dawn til dusk and know EXACTLY when I will be done working each day.

I have 14 daycare kids (12 different families) but rarely do I have more than 10 kids during the bulk of the day.
midaycare 02:39 PM 12-30-2016
I have tried and still do contracted hours, but it doesn't get me out earlier- just gives me more money My dcf's have to work when they work, and that's the cold, hard truth. No grandparents for early pickups, no schedule adjusts. Most work 8-5.

My hours are 7:30-5:30. I first started working 7-6 and it was way too long. 7:30-5:30 is still long, but doable.
Mom2Two 03:04 PM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have tried and still do contracted hours, but it doesn't get me out earlier- just gives me more money My dcf's have to work when they work, and that's the cold, hard truth. No grandparents for early pickups, no schedule adjusts. Most work 8-5.

My hours are 7:30-5:30. I first started working 7-6 and it was way too long. 7:30-5:30 is still long, but doable.
How many kiddos do you have? Are you in your own home? Do you have an assistant?

I currently do mostly hourly, and I'm fine with that, but I often lose/turn away folk who want a daily rate for <2 yo.
Mom2Two 03:05 PM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I work less hours and make more money than previous years due to opting to use contracted hours only.

I no longer have kids from dawn til dusk and know EXACTLY when I will be done working each day.

I have 14 daycare kids (12 different families) but rarely do I have more than 10 kids during the bulk of the day.
Do you start charging overtime if they work later than their contracted hours? If so, how much extra do you charge? I'm kinda thinking that I'd switch to "babysitting rates" of $15+ per hour since that's about how excited I am to have kids here late.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 12-30-2016
Do you start charging overtime if they work later than their contracted hours? If so, how much extra do you charge? I'm kinda thinking that I'd switch to "babysitting rates" of $15+ per hour since that's about how excited I am to have kids here late.
Additional care outside their contracted hours IF prearranged is $5 for every 30 minutes. If they simply show up late or use care outside their contracted times it is billed at $1 a minute the first time (it doubles each time until termination occurs at my discretion)
midaycare 03:35 PM 12-30-2016
How many kiddos do you have? Are you in your own home? Do you have an assistant?

I currently do mostly hourly, and I'm fine with that, but I often lose/turn away folk who want a daily rate for <2 yo.
I have 9 kiddos, 6 each day, which is my state max. I have an in home daycare in my own home. I have no need of an assistant, but I do have some people who cover for drs appts and random stuff.
Controlled Chaos 06:27 PM 12-30-2016
I have 9 kids 720-5 (I open at 7). I am ready to be done by 445
Jupadia 10:11 PM 12-30-2016
I am open from 7am to 6pm. It's a long day and most of me would love a shorter day it's just not possible. I would never get the spots filled up. I can only have five kids right now including my own. With no more then 2 under 2. Most schools have before and after school programs for ok prices. Also an AS kid would count toward my numbers unless it's my own so I would have to charge almost normal for it to make sense to fill the spot . Kids start full day the year they turn four. So geting kids that start ages 2 ti 4 is harder. I would end up limiting myself greatly by refusing hours. Also commutes here can take an hour easly so once you work 8 hours and do the drive home you are looking at a 10 hour day.

But if I could choose I would do less hours. It would give me more time with my boys without the DKS.
Reply Up