Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CPR Renewal
Oneluckymom 01:33 PM 04-04-2013
does anyone have any info on CPR renewal in California?

This is my first time renewing. Do I have to go in and take the class again?
KBCsMommy 01:37 PM 04-04-2013
Yes you have to take it again. And you cannot do it online.

I had to renew mine last fall, I took it again with the same person I did 2 years ago.
Oneluckymom 01:50 PM 04-04-2013
Does it HAVE to be through the American red cross? or can I have someone certified to teach it give me the license?
MarinaVanessa 01:52 PM 04-04-2013
You don't have to take the whole class again. The preventative health & safety class certificate never expires ... you only have to take the adult, child and infant CPR as well as the child care first aid portion of it.

Depending on where you take it I'd call them directly and tell them on the phone that you are a licensed family child care provider and need to re-certify so that they sign you up for the right class.

Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Does it HAVE to be through the American red cross? or can I have someone certified to teach it give me the license?
The American Heart Association also has classes that are already approved through licensing that are catered directly to family child care so you try them also. Anywhere else that re-certifies has to meet the criteria that licensing requires and has to be approved by them. If you want to take a class from someone other than ARC or AHA then I'd call the place to verify that they give you a class on Adult, Infant AND child CPR as well as child care first aid THEN call licensing to verify that it'll be accepted.

The person that teaches you MUST be able to give you an official re-certification certificate.
Oneluckymom 02:04 PM 04-04-2013
Thanks !!
KBCsMommy 02:09 PM 04-04-2013
What Marina Vanessa said!!

If you don't go through Red Cross, make sure they are EMSA current.
Oneluckymom 02:12 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You don't have to take the whole class again. The preventative health & safety class certificate never expires ... you only have to take the adult, child and infant CPR as well as the child care first aid portion of it.

Depending on where you take it I'd call them directly and tell them on the phone that you are a licensed family child care provider and need to re-certify so that they sign you up for the right class.

The American Heart Association also has classes that are already approved through licensing that are catered directly to family child care so you try them also. Anywhere else that re-certifies has to meet the criteria that licensing requires and has to be approved by them. If you want to take a class from someone other than ARC or AHA then I'd call the place to verify that they give you a class on Adult, Infant AND child CPR as well as child care first aid THEN call licensing to verify that it'll be accepted.

The person that teaches you MUST be able to give you an official re-certification certificate.
I was trying to look it up online...for AHA...what would the class for family child care providers be listed under?
Starburst 02:48 PM 04-04-2013
You can look into if your local community college has any courses. I got my infant/child/adult CPR and 1st aid certificate at my community college- it was 1 credit (counted as child development) and in addition to the credit fees ($46) it was $12 for materials. It was a 3 day course on 1 friday night (6pm - 9pm) and 2Saturdays (9am-4pm), they also go over the minimum hours needed for food safety. It was taught by the director of the child development center who is a certified CPR/1st aid instructor. Both of the CPR/1st aid certificates are good for 2 years (it will expire next spring)
MarinaVanessa 03:14 PM 04-04-2013
I was trying to look it up online...for AHA...what would the class for family child care providers be listed under?
That's a good question, I have no clue . I take mine through American Red Cross, sorry.
Oneluckymom 03:43 PM 04-04-2013
Thanks...I guess what I meant is Basic CPR or Pediatric? I will find out through licensing.
MarinaVanessa 04:42 PM 04-04-2013
Thanks...I guess what I meant is Basic CPR or Pediatric? I will find out through licensing.
You need adult, child AND infant CPR. You will also need child care first aid. I'm not sure about which class to look up for AHA, their website is confusing to me where as the ARC website is easier for me to navigate (and closer to my home than AHA). Just enter my zip code, click the child care category and BOOM ... a list of my classes are there.
sharlan 04:45 PM 04-04-2013
Check your local CCR&R. Ours has the classes once a month for $5.
Tags:cpr
Reply Up