Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question For The Burnouts Or Providers With Low Numbers....
coolconfidentme 07:05 AM 05-23-2014
Has anyone ever thought of changing their direction from child daycare to adult daycare? I'm not really burnt out, just think it's a better nitch since we are competing with many other childcare places. There really isn't many option for adult who are in between being able to live on there own & being place in an expensive assisted living facility. I think 6 or 7 elderly people having wine & canvas day has got to be better than toddler's finger painting, lol. Trust me.., I know there is more too it, my father goes to my sister's house while my mom works.

Any thoughts???
Leigh 07:19 AM 05-23-2014
I know that MANY people get more satisfaction caring for elderly or disabled adults. Me? I have a hard enough time changing a 4-year old's diaper-I just can't do it for an adult.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 05-23-2014
The number of licensed adult days in my area far outweighs the number of licensed in-home child cares.

The only part I wouldnt be able to manage well is the rules and regulations. They are more on par with center licensing rules compared to in-home regulations.

I also kind of like the fact that I can physically pick up and move my clients now if I need to.

I doubt at 5' 3" that I'd be able to still do that with elderly clients.
Luna 07:29 AM 05-23-2014
It has crossed my mind too. When I mentioned it to my adult DD, she pointed out that I'd be doing most of the things I do now, but with bigger people. Feeding, changing, cleaning...with those things, size matters.
jenboo 07:36 AM 05-23-2014
I have not thought about that but I have thought about doggie daycare!!
The ones around here charge the same, if not more, than home daycares!

Sometimes it is more appealing than working with children but I'm not sure what the regulations and insurance look like....plus I LOVE my grass and don't want to give it up....There is minimal grass in this city.
kathiemarie 08:12 AM 05-23-2014
I have always love working with the elderly. I'm currently looking into what qualifications I need to be an activities director at an extended care facility. In two years when my youngest leaves for college I think that is the route I'm going to take. I don't think I would want an adult daycare in my home. Daycare has been great and I love that I was able to be "home" for my kids but I'm ready....
debbiedoeszip 08:12 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have not thought about that but I have thought about doggie daycare!!
The ones around here charge the same, if not more, than home daycares!

Sometimes it is more appealing than working with children but I'm not sure what the regulations and insurance look like....plus I LOVE my grass and don't want to give it up....There is minimal grass in this city.
Me too. I've totally thought about doggie daycare. Maybe I will someday if I get burned out with childcare.
Crazy8 08:16 AM 05-23-2014
no way, not for me. I like little ones!
jenboo 08:18 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
Me too. I've totally thought about doggie daycare. Maybe I will someday if I get burned out with childcare.
The only way I could it is if i ran it out of another house instead of mine...or if I got a new husband

My back up for after daycare is to become a midwife.
coolconfidentme 09:01 AM 05-23-2014
I've sorta looked into it. I'm not talking about bed ridden adults, more elderly individuals who have moved in with family members & need assistance completing everyday task. Pr-nursing home care, while family goes to work.

My daughter works in an assisted living facility. Elderly people live in condos & she "visits" the condos to check on small needs of the tenants. If they get too dependent on needing care, they are moved to a group setting where they needs can be met. It's very expensive to live there.

One of my parents recently started a business going into elderly people's homes much like the condo situation. Her business is booming!

What about a Driving Miss Daisy situation? Take elderly people on their weekly shopping trips? The possibilities are endless I guess...
Naptime yet? 09:49 AM 05-23-2014
I had accepted a job as an in-home companion, where I would have a few clients & would go to their homes & help them with their needs, from cleaning to running errands, etc. I then had to decline the job because the hours weren't guaranteed & the money I would make wasn't enough to pay for my youngest to attend daycare.

But if I didn't have to worry about money I would do elderly companion care in a heartbeat.
Leanna 09:57 AM 05-23-2014
No. I don't like grown-ups.
spinnymarie 10:09 AM 05-23-2014
Never considered it, although my main reason for home daycare is my own children are here. Perhaps if my own parents came and needed friends...

However, my plan for after daycare is not to go back to teaching, it's to go work in a library. The nice, calm, QUIET library.
SilverSabre25 10:19 AM 05-23-2014
No. Ew. No offense to anyone, but old people are gross. I'm with BC, I like being able to pick up my charges and put them where I want them to be.
Josiegirl 10:33 AM 05-23-2014
Oh so many times I've muttered under my breath 'I'd rather be running a doggie daycare!' Lol But no, never entertained the thought of having an adult daycare. I'm too introverted and they might spit at you too.
Chellieleanne 11:43 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Short and to the point. This is me I could do doggie daycare but might have to convince DH haha!

I would like to be able to use crocheting or sewing, maybe baking, as a source of income for me but that may come when my own kids are older and I am tired of taking care of babies.
sahm1225 11:56 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
This. There's an innocence that comes w working w children. I know if they tell me that they don't like me it's because they are trying to communicate to me that they didn't like something. With a grown up, they could totally mean it!

I had a dcm that works w the elderly. She's a strong type where nothing bothers her but she said there were days when they would continue to be so mean to her that she would want to cry. I think it takes a very special person to work with children and an even more special person to work w the elderly.

Quick story - My dh grandpa 96 passed away in october. We had to relocate grandma 90 to live with my mother in law. They have a care taker come in a few days a week. grandma is the nicest person in the world but she's still grieving and having issues w being taken from her home against her will (she needs 24/7 care, but refuses to admit it). Well, she tells her caretaker that she is not allowed to sit anywhere in the house because seats are reserved for invited guests and not intruders. If she's in a bad mood, she will ignore the caretaker and say things like 'I don't like you so I can't hear you'. It's very heart breaking.
TwinKristi 01:01 PM 05-23-2014
No way... The only way I would step foot info a facility or home for adults would be for my own family. Most aging adults don't have the money to pay for private care (plus it's super cheap here) so then you're left with disabled adults who are getting care paid by the state which is a hassle as well. The most cost-effective route is an adult home. I have friends (3 of my 4 best friends from high school) who provide in-home care for the elderly and it's not nearly as rewarding plus they could die at any moment (many are needing care because they're dying) and then you're out a job. Plus you can't care for multiple adults at once outside of an adult care home which is borderline gross most of the time.
It's another line of work altogether and nothing even close to home childcare.
Reply Up