Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Help With Wording Please
coolconfidentme 04:53 AM 06-20-2014
How does this sound:

Due to a death in our family we unfortunately have to close the daycare on Monday, June 23th to attend the services out of town. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for understanding.

Do I charge for the day or not? This is a new territory for me & idk.
NeedaVaca 05:00 AM 06-20-2014
I'm sorry for your loss!

Do you have a personal or sick day you can use? It's hard to say about charging without knowing your policies. If it were me I would use a personal day-I get 3 per year and I have never used one for being sick (knock on wood).
NoMoreJuice! 05:15 AM 06-20-2014
Your wording sounds great. In my contract, my absences are not paid. Sorry for your loss!
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
How does this sound:

Due to a death in our family we unfortunately have to close the daycare on Monday, June 23th to attend the services out of town. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for understanding.

Do I charge for the day or not? This is a new territory for me & idk.
I wouldnt apologize so much.... it makes it sound like you are asking them if it's ok. kwim?

Stuff happens and parents need to deal.
Providers have lives outside of work too.

I would just say

"Due to a death in our family the child care will be closed on Monday, June 23rd.
The child care will be open as usually on Tuesday, June 24.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you"

As for charging, I guess it depends on how you have your personal days and time off days worded in your contract.

I'm sorry for your loss.
coolconfidentme 10:30 AM 06-20-2014
Thank you. No one seems to be taken back by the notice.
melilley 11:40 AM 06-20-2014
Sorry for your loss!

I would charge, but I have 5 paid personal days in my contract and would use one of them.
Tags:closing due to, death - family member
Reply Up