Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Questions????
Luvnmykidz 07:56 AM 10-24-2014
Good morning all,
I am working on getting better at getting all of my paperwork organized. I came across some papers where I documented the dates and hours I spent preparing for inspections, setting up to open, and taking classes to become licensed. Are the fees and the hours deductible on my taxes if they began at the end of 2013 and I did not open until this year?
Also in regards to the t/s% I have a laptop that is strictly for daycare as well as a desktop that my dcks and own children only use during daycare hours. I am open from 6am-midnight, but on most days(except weekends) my last dck leaves between 8:30/9:30 p.m. So any computer time my own kids get are during daycare hours in the daycare room. Can both of these computers be 100% daycare use if they are only being used during daycare hours?
Lastly, my kids each have their own rooms in which there toys are stored. I also have a family room in the basement with items they use during and after daycare hours. My family room is used for daycare naptime and music and movement days. On my main level of my home I have two 100% dedicated rooms that are only used during daycare hours as well as a bathroom that is only for daycare use. For tax purposes and proof should I take pictures of the space for daycare use as well as my kids personal space to prove that they do not use these rooms outside of daycare hours?
Sorry about all the questions, this tax stuff is pretty confusing to me as a newbie. Thanks for any help /responses.
TomCopeland 11:54 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Good morning all,
I am working on getting better at getting all of my paperwork organized. I came across some papers where I documented the dates and hours I spent preparing for inspections, setting up to open, and taking classes to become licensed. Are the fees and the hours deductible on my taxes if they began at the end of 2013 and I did not open until this year?
Also in regards to the t/s% I have a laptop that is strictly for daycare as well as a desktop that my dcks and own children only use during daycare hours. I am open from 6am-midnight, but on most days(except weekends) my last dck leaves between 8:30/9:30 p.m. So any computer time my own kids get are during daycare hours in the daycare room. Can both of these computers be 100% daycare use if they are only being used during daycare hours?
Lastly, my kids each have their own rooms in which there toys are stored. I also have a family room in the basement with items they use during and after daycare hours. My family room is used for daycare naptime and music and movement days. On my main level of my home I have two 100% dedicated rooms that are only used during daycare hours as well as a bathroom that is only for daycare use. For tax purposes and proof should I take pictures of the space for daycare use as well as my kids personal space to prove that they do not use these rooms outside of daycare hours?
Sorry about all the questions, this tax stuff is pretty confusing to me as a newbie. Thanks for any help /responses.
Fees and other business expenses incurred before you started caring for children are deductible in 2014. Hours spent on business activities in 2013 should not be counted as hours in 2014.

If your own children who are using the computer during day care hours are using it because of day care related activities (not personal activities), then deduct 100% of the computer. Otherwise, use an actual business use percent or your time-space %.

Yes, take pictures of all the rooms.
Reply Up