Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This A Reasonable Thing For Me To Do?
Indoorvoice 06:03 AM 04-20-2015
I have an infant starting with me in June. I have 2 teacher families who have been hinting that they don't want to send their kids or pay even though my contract says they must pay full price for any vacation over 2 weeks. Since I would love to have a lighter workload this summer with a new baby, but can't be without pay completely, I decided to make them a deal and charge a $50 per week holding fee to keep their spot for fall under the condition that if they need to use me, they will pay my higher drop-in fee on top of the holding fee. One of the families is only part time and is mad because if she pays the holding fee and the drop in fee if she needs me, it will be more than what she pays now. Is my policy fair for this part time family? Of course I let her know that she could just keep sending her child as normal throughout the summer if she is worried I will fill her spot, or she could just cancel the contract all together and hope I have a spot in the fall... What would you say to her? She also asked if I insist on the holding fee, if I would include a drop in day for free...??
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have an infant starting with me in June. I have 2 teacher families who have been hinting that they don't want to send their kids or pay even though my contract says they must pay full price for any vacation over 2 weeks. Since I would love to have a lighter workload this summer with a new baby, but can't be without pay completely, I decided to make them a deal and charge a $50 per week holding fee to keep their spot for fall under the condition that if they need to use me, they will pay my higher drop-in fee on top of the holding fee. One of the families is only part time and is mad because if she pays the holding fee and the drop in fee if she needs me, it will be more than what she pays now. Is my policy fair for this part time family? Of course I let her know that she could just keep sending her child as normal throughout the summer if she is worried I will fill her spot, or she could just cancel the contract all together and hope I have a spot in the fall... What would you say to her? She also asked if I insist on the holding fee, if I would include a drop in day for free...??
I would do EXACTLY as you have stated.

$50 holding fee for no attendance but holding the space for them

and $50 holding fee AND the drop in rate if they need care.

Of course mom sees it as not fair since...because she is only seeing it from her point of view or from her wallet and not yours.

In reality how many times over the 12 week summer is she really going to use you for drop in care? 1 or 2 times? Then no big deal at all to pay a little extra to guarantee her child gets his/her space back in a program she is happy with and obviously likes.

If she plans on using care frequently over the summer then why not just attend and pay as normal? kwim?

It's also important for you to remember that although she may not be working over the summer she IS still receiving her FULL yearly salary.

....yet thinks nothing of asking you to reduce her financial obligations (at a loss to YOU) so that she can save even more???

Um, yeah....you are being MORE than fair.
Unregistered 06:15 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by blackcat31:
i would do exactly as you have stated.

and $50 holding fee and the drop in rate if they need care.

Of course mom sees it as not fair since...because she is only seeing it from her point of view or from her wallet and not yours.

In reality how many times over the 12 week summer is she really going to use you for drop in care? 1 or 2 times? Then no big deal at all to pay a little extra to guarantee her child gets his/her space back in a program she is happy with and obviously likes.

If she plans on using care frequently over the summer then why not just attend and pay as normal? Kwim?

It's also important for you to remember that although she may not be working over the summer she is still receiving her full yearly salary.

....yet thinks nothing of asking you to reduce her financial obligations (at a loss to you) so that she can save even more???

Um, yeah....you are being more than fair.
this exactly ^^^^^^^
Thriftylady 06:28 AM 04-20-2015
I would charge a holding fee for sure. If she chooses not to pay it, you can fill her spot. Her summer off shouldn't make you broke.
CraftyMom 06:36 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It's also important for you to remember that although she may not be working over the summer she IS still receiving her FULL yearly salary.

....yet thinks nothing of asking you to reduce her financial obligations (at a loss to YOU) so that she can save even more???

How do you explain this to people? Every teacher always says "I don't get paid in the summer" I try to explain this, but I don't think it comes out as clear as I would like it to. Do you have this in your handbook? Maybe I should add it in my handbook since I can usually explain things better on paper than in words on the spot. Then I have it to refer to, or even to point out when they interview

Hmmm, I think I'll add it in
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
How do you explain this to people? Every teacher always says "I don't get paid in the summer" I try to explain this, but I don't think it comes out as clear as I would like it to. Do you have this in your handbook? Maybe I should add it in my handbook since I can usually explain things better on paper than in words on the spot. Then I have it to refer to, or even to point out when they interview

I don't hold spaces. Period.

However when I did, instead of saying/telling teachers that they got paid in the summer I just said that they still earned their yearly salary no matter how many or how little days/months/weeks they have off.

I too need to earn a yearly amount PER space. If the teacher family (or any family with extended time off) wants to keep that space ALL year then they need to pay for it all year. If they want to risk losing it, they certainly can but even if I had the space in the Fall I wouldn't take them back. Simply on principle.

I also used to offer teacher families the option of paying the yearly space amount over 9 months (the school year) verses paying over 12 months. A lot of them took me up on that offer, whether it made more sense financially for them or they didn't add it up...I don't know but I will NOT take a financial loss due to someone else's work situation.

HTH
Leigh 08:59 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

Tell that teacher this: You get paid a salary, and so do I. If you'd rather pay a higher rate for 9 months and not pay in the summer, we can make an adjustment. However, my salary is $XXXX per year, all the same. Just like it is for YOU at your job.
childcaremom 09:10 AM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would do EXACTLY as you have stated.

and $50 holding fee AND the drop in rate if they need care.

If she plans on using care frequently over the summer then why not just attend and pay as normal? kwim?

I agree. You are being fair.
midaycare 10:26 AM 04-20-2015
Here teachers have the option of being paid more in their paychecks in 10 months - but nothing for the summer, or less but paid for 52 weeks.

This may be why, at least around us, teachers think they can ask to not pay summers - because they take the 10 month option and forget they are being paid for 52 weeks.

Either way, I probably wouldn't make this deal, even with an infant starting. Then these families will want it every year.
Indoorvoice 11:19 AM 04-20-2015
Thanks for your replies. I wanted to make sure I actually was being fair before I replied to her. I'll let you know what she says when she emails me back because I didn't back down to her. I was feeling bad, because I'm intentionally keeping a spot open because I don't want to be full right now so she probably is thinking I could just fill that spot to make up for her, but I really don't want her to get the idea that this is how it works. You never know what may change.

Originally Posted by midaycare:
Either way, I probably wouldn't make this deal, even with an infant starting. Then these families will want it every year.
^^I did think of that too, and they are all up for renewed contracts in the fall, so I'm going to reiterate that this was a one time thing! I can't believe how much of headache this has been when I was actually doing THEM a favor! I should have just said pay up, or get out!
AmyKidsCo 11:51 AM 04-20-2015
I think it's totally fair.

If you need help justifying it to yourself (like I always do) total up how much income you'd have if you enrolled full time children instead. That usually helps me stick to my guns. And if mom gets snarky you can point out that by charging just the $50 holding fee you're giving up $____ in income.

Honestly, I've been burned too many times holding a spot for free and at a reduced rate.
Reply Up