Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tattling
Onawhim 08:13 AM 06-03-2015
Oh my goodness what in the world can I do to curb dcg 4s tattling. Alllll day I hear miss **** dcg isn't sitting right. Dcb is using his hands to eat. Dcg is putting to much food in her mouth. Dcb is jumping etc etc etc. I've tried telling her to worry about herself. Which backfired and now if anyone goes to tell on someone she says in a very grumpy voice you worry about yourself. Gawh she's gonna put me in the looney bin today!
Unregistered 08:38 AM 06-03-2015
Send her to time out EVERYTIME she tattles.
Luvnmykidz 09:49 AM 06-03-2015
I have a 3 yr old dck that does it and gets upset when he's being tattled on. I remind him that his friends don't like to be tattled on either. I also encourage him to draw a picture about it instead of telling me. He then can share his pictures during sharing time. Usually his picture turns into some neat adventure or mission that he's going on instead of a tattling story. This has helped a lot. Good luck
childcaremom 09:56 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I have a 3 yr old dck that does it and gets upset when he's being tattled on. I remind him that his friends don't like to be tattled on either. I also encourage him to draw a picture about it instead of telling me. He then can share his pictures during sharing time. Usually his picture turns into some neat adventure or mission that he's going on instead of a tattling story. This has helped a lot. Good luck
That's a really good alternative. Filing away for later
CraftyMom 09:57 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
Oh my goodness what in the world can I do to curb dcg 4s tattling. Alllll day I hear miss **** dcg isn't sitting right. Dcb is using his hands to eat. Dcg is putting to much food in her mouth. Dcb is jumping etc etc etc. I've tried telling her to worry about herself. Which backfired and now if anyone goes to tell on someone she says in a very grumpy voice you worry about yourself. Gawh she's gonna put me in the looney bin today!
I have a 3yo dcg like this currently. I tell her to worry about herself so now she tattles to me that so and so isn't worrying about themself.

All day long with the tattling! Time out does nothing, she still does it. Now I head her off when I see her coming. I just give her the look and point in the opposite direction, as if to say "I don't want to hear it, go play". Sometimes it works
Josiegirl 10:02 AM 06-03-2015
Yep, got one here myself like that. 4 yo and she reports on every single thing that's going on in and around her world, and then some. In fact, I told her this a.m. she'll probably grow up to be a journalist.
You could tell her to tell the fridge. Or tell a stuffed animal. Unless someone is getting hurt or going to hurt someone else, we don't need to hear every single thing.
knoxmomof2 04:27 PM 03-31-2016
I know this thread is older, but I have a situation currently and was looking up this very topic. I have a 4 year old DCB who is "a lot of work".. we'll just put it that way. He's been with me for 3 years now, he's months from starting school so I'm just waiting it out. He's started to try and influence 3.5 year old DCG to follow his lead on things they shouldn't be doing. She is very well-behaved and started coming to me and telling me when this was happening. I've rarely had issues with tattling in the past. I thanked her for telling me, reinforced that she shouldn't listen to him if she knows it's wrong- and to ask me if she isn't sure, just to stay out of trouble and we went on.

Now, I have these older 2 (I care for 4, the other 2 are 2.5 and 2) tattling constantly. Due to that, I told them to only tell me about what someone else is doing if it's hurting them or someone else. I thought that was a reasonable way to stay available to them if there's a problem, but not have to hear every little replay of the tiniest infraction.

This came up in conversation with DCG's Mom the other day as I was applauding DCG for not following his lead on things she shouldn't.. and then noted how the tattling had started so I asked them to only come to me under the circumstances I just mentioned.

Today, during naptime, I got a long email from DCM about her concerns in relation to my discouraging "tattling" (although she noted that she dislikes the use of that word). She fears that her child will be abused or learn not to tell grownups when she sees wrongdoing, etc....as she grows up.

I talked to Hubs since I know I tend to be defensive and touchy sometimes and he says that, for my own purpose of having extra "eyes" on the group as a whole, I should tolerate the tattling. He said he felt DCM's reasons were a bit much.

I just told DCM that I would get back to her when I had the time to do so.

Thoughts?

PS- She cited something about how teachers today are realizing how harmful a "no tattling" policy is to children....
knoxmomof2 04:55 PM 03-31-2016
Just realized it was probably rude to hijack this post... going to write a new one
Tags:tattle tail, tattling
Reply Up