Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Will Never Understand This Strange Phenomenon!
Rockgirl 09:40 AM 07-08-2015
I think I've posted about this before...probably about this time last summer. Kids are crazy in the playroom. Running, jumping, screaming, despite many reminders. The grass is super wet, but I bring them outside anyway. They obviously have tons of extra energy to run off!

We get outside, and everyone goes and finds a place to sit. If they're not sitting, they're hovering around me, staring at me. I have plenty for them to do outside, but this is the pattern!
childcaremom 09:43 AM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I think I've posted about this before...probably about this time last summer. Kids are crazy in the playroom. Running, jumping, screaming, despite many reminders. The grass is super wet, but I bring them outside anyway. They obviously have tons of extra energy to run off!

We get outside, and everyone goes and finds a place to sit. If they're not sitting, they're hovering around me, staring at me. I have plenty for them to do outside, but this is the pattern!
Ha ha. I've noticed that, too.

My group this week has been terrible outside and been asking to play in. So today we played inside and they asked to go out.
AliB 10:02 AM 07-08-2015
Exact same thing here! We go outside because they want to run and scream in the house. As soon as we go out, they're sitting down and claiming they're bored. We also have plenty to do outside but for some reason they just sit around me and hover. If I'm walking around and doing stuff in the yard, they follow me then as well. If I try to play games with them, they just want to sit. So we go back in and they are right back to the yelling and running 😁
Heidi 10:03 AM 07-08-2015
I have seen the same thing in the past. My solution is to keep myself "busy" in the yard. Not entertaining the children, but raking, dead-heading flowers, building or fixing stuff, cleaning toys, etc. If you, as an adult, aren't available to hang on, it helps motivate them to find something else to do. Also, if you have any child sized "work" toys, like rakes, keep them put away some of the time. In general, I keep some toys put away, and bring them out for those days when they can't get started.

I do lead activities, but in response to their being "bored" if possible. I don't want to give the message that I'm here to entertain them. We also take a walk daily. Since we are out 3-4 hours per day, I do like to break it up.

One thing I recently added were a couple old blankets. I get them out every day, and they like to lay on them. Since my oldest are 2 1/2, they aren't really pretending much yet, but I can easily see it turning into a teddy bear picnic someday, or a "fort".
midaycare 10:20 AM 07-08-2015
I "ignore" them when I am outside. I sweep the cement, rake the yard, pick up acorns, etc. They look at me for a few minutes and then go play. And some help me, so bonus! Free labor. I kid, I kid.
Play Care 10:44 AM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I have seen the same thing in the past. My solution is to keep myself "busy" in the yard. Not entertaining the children, but raking, dead-heading flowers, building or fixing stuff, cleaning toys, etc. If you, as an adult, aren't available to hang on, it helps motivate them to find something else to do. Also, if you have any child sized "work" toys, like rakes, keep them put away some of the time. In general, I keep some toys put away, and bring them out for those days when they can't get started.

I do lead activities, but in response to their being "bored" if possible. I don't want to give the message that I'm here to entertain them. We also take a walk daily. Since we are out 3-4 hours per day, I do like to break it up.

One thing I recently added were a couple old blankets. I get them out every day, and they like to lay on them. Since my oldest are 2 1/2, they aren't really pretending much yet, but I can easily see it turning into a teddy bear picnic someday, or a "fort".
This.
I do find that when we first go out, if I lead a game I can then bow out at some point and they will keep going. It usually leads to them coming up with other ideas on their own. But I do it first and quick before the "I'm bored" comments come in.

When they are being especially feisty I break up the yard into centers and assign kids spots using the timer to move them around.

We did a mile and a half walk today and I made the 5 and 6 yo walk the entire time (stoping for breaks obviously) because they *needed* the physical outlet. As soon as we got back they played the best they've played since summer started. They totally needed to get the wiggles out
Laurel 01:32 PM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
I do find that when we first go out, if I lead a game I can then bow out at some point and they will keep going. It usually leads to them coming up with other ideas on their own. But I do it first and quick before the "I'm bored" comments come in.

When they are being especially feisty I break up the yard into centers and assign kids spots using the timer to move them around.

We did a mile and a half walk today and I made the 5 and 6 yo walk the entire time (stoping for breaks obviously) because they *needed* the physical outlet. As soon as we got back they played the best they've played since summer started. They totally needed to get the wiggles out

Often when mine were terrors in the house, I'd take them on a walk. If they complained about taking a walk, I'd just ignore them and tell them to get their shoes on that we were going. Occasionally some were really resistant so I would 'change up' walks. We would do the 'I Spy' game as we would walk or I'd make a list of things that they would have to find (man mowing the lawn, lady with a hat, blue bird, hose, etc.). Sometimes I'd let them push a doll stroller or a Fisher Price Corn Popper if they were little. Or give them some sidewalk chalk to write things on the sidewalk as they go. Things like that.

Or can you change up the scenery by taking them to the park if one is in walking distance? We would take balls and other things to the park as well.

Laurel
Rockgirl 02:32 PM 07-08-2015
Yes, we go to the park once or twice a week, and do water play a time or two. It really kind of cracks me up that they do this. Kids are strange creatures!
Laurel 06:18 AM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Yes, we go to the park once or twice a week, and do water play a time or two. It really kind of cracks me up that they do this. Kids are strange creatures!

I've had it happen at the park as well but at least I figured they 'walked' to get there so that was some exercise.

It happens with my grandson a lot but I think he seems to just be studying how older kids play. It is kinda cute actually. He's probably thinking "Oh, so that is the way to do it. Maybe someday I'll try it."

Laurel
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 07-09-2015
I "fixed" this issue years ago.

Kids have two choices when we are outside: play or sit.

Depending on their choice for outside, they earn (or don't earn) multiple or limited choices for activities and snack inside.
CraftyMom 06:35 AM 07-09-2015
I've only had this issue with a few kids. I don't pay any mind to them. They can sit if they don't want to play. But yes, the ones that are maniacs inside are the ones that don't play well outside. I guess I never thought about it, but thinking about it now every child I've had behavior issues with inside, doesn't want to play outside. Despite me telling them that OUTSIDE is the time and place for running, jumping, climbing, etc.

This has only been a few kids. For the most part my kids love their outside time and can't get enough.
AmyKidsCo 12:45 PM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Ha ha. I've noticed that, too.

My group this week has been terrible outside and been asking to play in. So today we played inside and they asked to go out.
I have that too. Drives me crazy!!
Reply Up