Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants Outside
permanentvacation 05:58 AM 08-27-2015
I don't typically watch children under age 18 months. But I reluctantly (out of financial necessity) accepted a 10 month old. But when we go outside, since she can't walk yet, she keeps scraping her knees and legs on the sidewalk and gets grass stains on her knees and shorts which, of course upsets her mother.

What do you guys do outside with babies that can't walk yet?
jenboo 06:08 AM 08-27-2015
Super yard on top of a blanket with some toys. Once they can walk, they are free.
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I don't typically watch children under age 18 months. But I reluctantly (out of financial necessity) accepted a 10 month old. But when we go outside, since she can't walk yet, she keeps scraping her knees and legs on the sidewalk and gets grass stains on her knees and shorts which, of course upsets her mother.

What do you guys do outside with babies that can't walk yet?
I let them play.

Grass stained clothes, scraped knees and a couple handfuls of dirt/sand is a right of passage in my eyes and I won't contain a child simply because they cannot walk yet or because the parent doesn't like their child being dirty.

It's part of being a kid.

I wouldn't be able to accommodate a parent that didn't understand that.

I understand your position in regards to agreeing to take this child so if you don't think educating mom on kids and dirt and it's normal-ness... do you have a pnp or an exersaucer you could keep her in while you are outside?
KKDaycare 06:09 AM 08-27-2015
We spread out a big blanket and put toys on it and that usually keeps them entertained for a while until they start to crawl away and then we see if they want to swing in the baby swing and the three we have love it so they stay in it a while. There's an exersaucer that we use just for outside that they can sit in.
Conoad 06:10 AM 08-27-2015
First of all, the fact that her mom is upset is ridiculous. My handbook says we go outside daily and they will get dirty. Please do not send your child in clothing you don't want to get ruined.
Secondly, I use an exersaucer outside for babies if we are playing on cement.
permanentvacation 06:27 AM 08-27-2015
I have done daycare for over 20 years and lived a couple of places during that time. This is the first place that I have lived that practically EVERY parent I get throws a fit if there's a speck of dirt on their kid's clothes! It's also the lowest income area I've ever lived. I am starting to think that the parents fuss about the kids' clothes getting dirty possibly because they literally can't afford to buy separate play clothes for their children. So I think it's really a financial issue for the parents in this area. All the playgrounds around here have that spongy ground covering that doesn't get them dirty at all. So they are used to being able to take their kids to the playground without them getting dirty. But I can't afford that playground covering. I've actually looked into it, but it's a couple of thousand of dollars!

I have given almost every parent I've gotten for the past 3 years (as long as I've lived here) speeches about how it's okay for a child to get dirty, it's healthy for them to experience and experiment with grass and dirt, they WILL get dirty here, so you need to put clothes on them that they CAN get dirty on, etc. I've said it all to practically every parent I've had since I moved here. But they keep having fits about it. I really think it's that they can't afford the extra clothes.

I've never thought of taking the baby swing outside for her. Mine is a small one that I can pick up easily and take inside and outside. I'll try that. It sounds like a perfect idea!

I've given up on exercisers. Every time I get one, a baby throws up in it. I then take off the cloth seat and wash it, but can NEVER get the dang thing back on the circular plastic piece. I gave the last one to my ex-husband for him to try to pull the seat covering over the plastic piece about 3 months ago! He gave up on getting the thing to stretch enough to get it on too! So every time a baby throws up in them, I wind up throwing them away and buying a new one!

This particular baby moves and crawls like crazy. So a blanket wouldn't work. I tried that in the house and it was a joke. Within a matter of seconds, she had crawled off of it. She really does NOT stay put. She likes to move!
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 08-27-2015
Could you have mom go get a couple pairs of old sweatpants or leggings for baby to keep at your house as outside play clothes?

Not being allowed to crawl in the grass or feel the dirt/nature seems kind of cruel to me.

I think being confined to a swing or some other piece of equipment is like banning a kid from really being able to experience outdoors.

If that is all a child gets, why not just stay inside and open the windows? That way they are still getting the fresh air but not getting dirty.
bklsmum 06:37 AM 08-27-2015
I have PNPs and walkers for the infants I have and I also have this area set up for them as well.
Baby Area.jpg

Sometimes I do a blanket in another Super Yard with just a few toys too.
Attached:
permanentvacation 06:39 AM 08-27-2015
I have actually thought of buying some extra clothes for the kids from Walmart when they have kids clothes on sale. I might just do that. I have told the parents numerous times to send their kids in play clothes that they can get dirty in. But they never do!

Fall is coming, I could buy some sweatpants and zip up sweat shirts/jackets to put on them over their clothes so their clothes don't get dirty!
laundrymom 06:41 AM 08-27-2015
I would grab a pair of black sweatpants and toss them on her before going out. I refuse to use entrapment devices. And my kids get dirty. That's one of the reasons parents love my program. Kids need to feel gravity and that gets you dirty. Good luck. It's hard when parents value clothing more than their child.
permanentvacation 06:49 AM 08-27-2015
I like your play yard set up. But it wouldn't work for her. She climbs them! It is VERY hard to confine her in anything!
permanentvacation 06:53 AM 08-27-2015
I'm currently researching and planning on adding lots of natural things to my daycare. Which, of course, can lead to messy activities! I'm going to try to MAKE my parents understand that children NEED to get messy to learn, experiment, and experience their world. I'll probably lose every kid I have!
Lovisa 08:18 AM 08-27-2015
With my 7 month old, I either use a pnp or like others have mentioned, a play yard and blanket and toys (so far). I have even brought out a high chair if we were doing messy craft time outside and I needed my hands free. We aren't allowed to use exersaucers/walkers or anything like that so I am limited. In a few more months when he is more mobile and getting around on his own, he will get to play like the others and get dirty. That is the fun part about being a kid! Hopefully mom won't take issue with that
Nisaryn 08:51 AM 08-27-2015
I take all my infants outside with me, I have a HUGE picknic blanket with waterproof backing that I spread out. I have a sheltered patio and a tree so on cool days we sit under the tree on the blanket otherwise we spread out across the patio. It works great for protecting little knees and elbows and the babies love being able to watch the hummingbirds as they visit my feeders.
Controlled Chaos 09:39 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I let them play.

Grass stained clothes, scraped knees and a couple handfuls of dirt/sand is a right of passage in my eyes and I won't contain a child simply because they cannot walk yet or because the parent doesn't like their child being dirty.

I understand your position in regards to agreeing to take this child so if you don't think educating mom on kids and dirt and it's normal-ness... do you have a pnp or an exersaucer you could keep her in while you are outside?
my 9 month is covered in grass stains and his parents love it 😄
Annalee 09:48 AM 08-27-2015
I let them play.

Outside play is for ALL KIDS in my care....I tell clients at interview, we will get dirty, and to dress accordingly.
Unregistered 09:57 AM 08-27-2015
My parents supply baby legs or crawling knee pads to keep them cleaner but mostly just to protect there knees. My babies crawl in the mulch and grass just fine with the baby legs. Keeping kids clean when there having fun is impossible. Sometimes the messier they look the more fun they had.
Laurel 09:58 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by KKDaycare:
We spread out a big blanket and put toys on it and that usually keeps them entertained for a while until they start to crawl away and then we see if they want to swing in the baby swing and the three we have love it so they stay in it a while. There's an exersaucer that we use just for outside that they can sit in.

I think they need fresh air but don't necessarily need to crawl around in the grass. Once they start walking they get more freedom. I didn't want non walkers putting rocks/twigs in their mouths either or being down there with various gnats/bugs even though we had our lawn treated for pests.

Laurel
Laurel 10:02 AM 08-27-2015
I'm currently researching and planning on adding lots of natural things to my daycare. Which, of course, can lead to messy activities! I'm going to try to MAKE my parents understand that children NEED to get messy to learn, experiment, and experience their world. I'll probably lose every kid I have!
Your parents probably can't afford extra clothes. I'd get some myself at a thrift shop for them to use while there. I know it would be a pain to change them but it seems like a bigger pain for you to constantly be stressed out about this. That is how I always look at it. What is the bigger pain?

Laurel
permanentvacation 10:08 AM 08-27-2015
I have thought before about buying sweat pants and jackets to keep here to put over the kids' clothes. I might do that.

I've never heard of knee pads for babies. I just looked them up and they are a neat idea!
mommiebookworm 10:13 AM 08-27-2015
I stocked up leggings and sweatpants at the thrift store. It was when they were doing a big sale. So I can change dck into the pants, and change them back before pickup.
Stephnrich 10:53 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I have PNPs and walkers for the infants I have and I also have this area set up for them as well.
Attachment 3498

Sometimes I do a blanket in another Super Yard with just a few toys too.
Back when I took children younger than 18 months, this is exactly what I had. I worried that the babies would feel confined, but in actuality all the older kids kept begging to go in there, lol.
Jack Sprat 11:05 AM 08-27-2015
I let them play.

permanentvacation 11:34 AM 08-27-2015
That's how I feel too. I grew up in Alabama. We ran barefoot through the woods, caught crayfish and frogs in the creek, climbed hay barrels and jumped on cows' back and rode them until they bucked us off! We helped our parents plant and tend to our own vegetable gardens and picked tomatoes, wiped them off on our shirts and ate them like you would apples. We played out in the rain and jumped in mud puddles. We were almost never inside! We were always outside exploring nature, getting dirty, and we had a BLAST doing so!

I completely feel that kids should be out in nature. And each area that I lived before here, my daycare kids were outside most of the day. But since I've been here, the majority of my parents flip out if their child gets a speck of dirt or a little grass stain on them.

I think I'm going to just start adding the more natural activities (as I can afford to) and start telling my parents about our new hands-on activities. And try to get the parents to get excited that their children are doing some new, fun activities while learning about their world. I don't know, we'll see.
christine19720 12:26 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Outside play is for ALL KIDS in my care....I tell clients at interview, we will get dirty, and to dress accordingly.
Yep. Same here.
Indianadaycare 01:09 PM 08-27-2015
I put a large blanket (soft one side; waterproof other side) down under a shade canopy with toys on it. pillows, too. A water table next to the blanket so they can practice standing and splash in the water with toys. Those few items (including the canopy) have been lifesavers for me!
When I see play yards on sale/craigslist, I pick them up and am gradually "fencing in" my 12x12 canopy. Even better!
If I have the energy, I bring all of that stuff to my front yard which has a huge beautiful tree and lay them on their backs (small infants). They LOVE looking up at the branches and feeling the breeze.
Laurel 01:15 PM 08-27-2015
That's how I feel too. I grew up in Alabama. We ran barefoot through the woods, caught crayfish and frogs in the creek, climbed hay barrels and jumped on cows' back and rode them until they bucked us off! We helped our parents plant and tend to our own vegetable gardens and picked tomatoes, wiped them off on our shirts and ate them like you would apples. We played out in the rain and jumped in mud puddles. We were almost never inside! We were always outside exploring nature, getting dirty, and we had a BLAST doing so!

I completely feel that kids should be out in nature. And each area that I lived before here, my daycare kids were outside most of the day. But since I've been here, the majority of my parents flip out if their child gets a speck of dirt or a little grass stain on them.

I think I'm going to just start adding the more natural activities (as I can afford to) and start telling my parents about our new hands-on activities. And try to get the parents to get excited that their children are doing some new, fun activities while learning about their world. I don't know, we'll see.
I grew up like that too but I doubt my mom started it at 18 months. Of course, I can't remember.

Laurel
permanentvacation 01:31 PM 08-27-2015
Laurel,

Oh, I bet she did! I clearly remember my best friend's baby brother out in her yard barefoot and wearing nothing but a diaper running through the dirt, mud, and grass. He played with sticks, caught little bugs, ran his cars and trucks through the dirt and mud, and was out with us playing in the rain all of the time. He was a little mud ball within an hour of waking up!
permanentvacation 01:38 PM 08-27-2015
http://handsonaswegrow.com/30-dirty-kid-activities/

I just found the above website. I might just start my preschool year with us jumping into a bunch of the activities on that website! Maybe I just need to throw my parents in the deep end and tell them to sink or swim regarding their kids getting dirty! We'll see which kids stay and which one's parents freak out too much and find another daycare that keeps them clean.
Thriftylady 01:45 PM 08-27-2015
I tell parents of kids of all ages, well I will quote my handbook. I have a section titled "appropriate dress for daycare". It says

Please dress your child appropriately for the weather! They should be dressed in play clothes and tennis shoes. I will try to keep your child reasonably clean, but we are having fun so I cannot promise there will be no stains. Please don’t send your child in “cute” or “dress” clothes as I cannot promise they will stay nice. If your child needs nicer clothes for some reason, I can give you a place to change your child at drop off or pick up, and you can keep the nicer clothing with you. Footed PJ’s are NEVER acceptable as the child cannot then wear shoes for outdoor play. Shoes are a MUST, even if your child chooses not to wear them in the house, they can’t go outside without them. Girls wearing dresses or skirts must wear leggings or shorts under them.
permanentvacation 03:10 PM 08-27-2015
Oh, I tell them all of that too. But they many of them still have a cow if they get a speck of dirt on them.
permanentvacation 03:14 PM 08-27-2015
I only have a couple of kids now. A couple of them are new and the one that's been here, I know she won't get upset if her child gets dirty. Hopefully this group will not flip out over dirt.

I will start highly emphasizing that we WILL get dirty during outdoor play on my interviews for new clients.
Thriftylady 06:19 PM 08-27-2015
I only have a couple of kids now. A couple of them are new and the one that's been here, I know she won't get upset if her child gets dirty. Hopefully this group will not flip out over dirt.

I will start highly emphasizing that we WILL get dirty during outdoor play on my interviews for new clients.
Tell them what I do "it is hard to have fun without getting dirty, we will play in the water, the sand, the dirt, we will draw, paint, use chalk. At the end of the day we are learning the FUN way".
permanentvacation 06:42 PM 08-27-2015
One of my previous parents actually told me that their child's jeans alone were $50.00! I looked at her like she had lost her mind and asked her why in the world she would buy $50.00 jeans for a 2 year old and why would she send her child to daycare in them. She said that she only buys the best for her child. I just said, 'HE'S 2!' She found another daycare for him not too long after that conversation.
auntymimi 06:57 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Tell them what I do "it is hard to have fun without getting dirty, we will play in the water, the sand, the dirt, we will draw, paint, use chalk. At the end of the day we are learning the FUN way".
It's almost become a joke with my moms and dads, to try guessing our activities by their appearance. Though I did have to explain that the greenish blueish marks on the 11 mo legs were from the food coloring used to make our ice chalk, they looked like horrible bruises at first glance!
jenboo 07:56 PM 08-27-2015
I had one parent tell me I can't send their child home "covered" in paint without posting pictures of the activity
grateday 06:39 PM 08-28-2015
Anyone just opening should come up with a certain business name to deter those that want to keep the kids free of dirt.
Tags:infants, infants - outside, outside play
Reply Up