Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Definition of "Treat"
mamamanda 07:56 AM 08-29-2015
I had an epiphany this morning. lol I repeatedly have the same conversations with my dcks in regards to treats. I get so frustrated discussing the same topic over and over and having them ask the same questions, always seeking a treat. I finally realized the breakdown in communication is our definition of the word "treat." We are using the same word, but our meanings are completely different. In my vocabulary, the words "treat" and "reward" are not interchangeable. A treat is something outside the realm of our daily norm that happens on special occasions, therefore I refer to it as a nice treat. In dck's world, a treat is always something you earn. We can both say, "Last night we got ice cream for a special treat," but I mean we got ice cream for something special and different, and they mean we got ice cream b/c we behaved all day.
We typically have a no junk food policy during daycare hours, but I do occasionally freeze chocolate almond milk in popsicle molds or we bake healthier cookies together as a group or something like that. Without fail they ask me why we're having these things and I always respond with "Oh, just for a special treat." Then they are very upset for the next couple days when we don't make special treats again. I think they're thinking when I say "treat" its b/c they've been good so when I say not today they don't understand what they've done to lose the treat. I'm really just saying, I felt like doing something special today. It has nothing to do with being good, bad, or indifferent. Sometimes I'm just bored and want a special treat.
It finally clicked for me yesterday when dcg asked ds why he doesn't get a treat during family movie night. (Both of our families do Friday night movie night, but we do it a bit differently and they were talking about what to expect at their house.) Ds seemed a bit confused by her question and I finally had a lightbulb moment. I explained that while we occasionally do bake cookies or get icecream to eat during the movie, we consider having all of our family home to spend time together to be a treat. She looked pretty skeptical and said, "Well at my house I get candy." lol Maybe it won't make any difference, but I feel like now I can explain better, or maybe use different wording so they're not so frustrated. Just found it an interesting discovery. Do any of you run into this issue as well?
hope 09:40 AM 08-29-2015
DH makes fun of me when i use the word treat. He says I am caring for children not puppies. Children get rewards, something special, a suprise. Dogs get treats. I continue to use the word treat now just to annoy him a little. Hehe.

I have the same issue as you at times. A child may eat somethingvwe have been working in for some time so I will surprise them with a special treat, maybe take the bounce house out or movie on Friday. Then all the kids start asking what they get for eating their veggies????? I always respond by telling them that they should always do what is right and being good and making others happy is a reward in itself. They should not expect anything more for doing what they should be doing.
CalCare 09:47 AM 08-29-2015
My father in law would say "I have a treat for you" and give my kids a new toy or book. So then when I'd say, "We're getting a treat!" referring to ice cream or something, my son would be wondering when his new toy was coming... sorry! that was it! just icecream @@ Just semantics I guess
Thriftylady 03:45 PM 08-29-2015
I don't use the word "treat" much. I guess because when I was a kid it meant "food". Such as an ice cream cone. I use the words "prize" and "surprise" often. And very rarely is it food.
midaycare 07:03 PM 08-29-2015
I don't use the word treat or anything like it. If we bake cookies, it's "Let's make cookies today!"

If it's someone's birthday, I will say, "dcg brought cupcakes today for her birthday!"

If I bring out something 'special', I just do it. They see me bring it out and get excited. I have some toys and tunnels they get excited about, for instance. Kinetic sand, bounce house. Those types of things.

I've never thought about why, but if I had to put words to it - I have 3's and under. I don't want them asking for a "treat" all day! They catch onto phrases really quickly.
ColorfulSunburst 07:53 AM 08-30-2015
There isn't any treat here or any food between scheduled meal time or any food rewards. As a result no one begs about it.
CraftyMom 02:33 PM 08-30-2015
I don't use the word treat. No particular reason, just not a word I use. So I never thought about it, but what you're saying does make sense. People have a different meaning for the word treat and expect different things.

Here, if we are having a special snack or doing something special that day then that's what I say. "We are having a special snack" or "We are doing something special today".
Tags:treats
Reply Up