Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Maybe We Could Do a Playdate"?
Thriftylady 11:11 AM 07-09-2016
So I had the daycare kiddos at library story hour again this week, we go every week. A couple of the moms and I were sitting at a table chatting while the kids had their story and did their craft. When we are getting ready to leave one says "So maybe I can call you one of these days to do a play date"? I told her that all my current kids are older than hers, so it wouldn't probably do her much good. But I didn't know how to respond to her. My thought is "No I don't want you to bring your children to my home, use my stuff and distract my program for FREE.".

How would you have responded to this? Honestly I was caught totally off guard a question I never would have expected and I had no answer without being rude.
JackandJill 11:30 AM 07-09-2016
I usually put this stuff back on licensing. "Oh I wish, but with all the rules/regs, I can't do play dates at home!"
Mad_Pistachio 01:10 PM 07-09-2016
Children's parents did not give you a permission to throw play dates with their children. It's their - parents' - job.
Controlled Chaos 03:10 PM 07-09-2016
"I'm not allowed to do social dates during daycare hours". Or "my drop in fee is $xx".
Unregistered 03:25 PM 07-09-2016
I would have said "sounds fun. When can I drop off my kids?" lol
Thriftylady 05:04 PM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would have said "sounds fun. When can I drop off my kids?" lol
LOL love this!
sharlan 05:58 PM 07-09-2016
I would love to find someone in my area to have playdates at the park with.
Thriftylady 06:13 PM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would love to find someone in my area to have playdates at the park with.
I would be all for that, but I think she was referring to coming to my house. She said her 4 year old needed to "learn to share better" because he was an only child until the 2 yr old came along he didn't learn to share. I hope she wasn't implying she wanted me to teach that lol. Regardless it isn't going to happen, not for free anyway!
laundrymom 06:47 PM 07-09-2016
Maybe take her number and let her know you'll call if you have an opening. And give her a rate?
Laurel 12:13 PM 07-10-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So I had the daycare kiddos at library story hour again this week, we go every week. A couple of the moms and I were sitting at a table chatting while the kids had their story and did their craft. When we are getting ready to leave one says "So maybe I can call you one of these days to do a play date"? I told her that all my current kids are older than hers, so it wouldn't probably do her much good. But I didn't know how to respond to her. My thought is "No I don't want you to bring your children to my home, use my stuff and distract my program for FREE.".

How would you have responded to this? Honestly I was caught totally off guard a question I never would have expected and I had no answer without being rude.
Just say "I sometimes wish I could do things like that but licensing requires that any children I have at my home be enrolled in my program or counted in my program ratio even if they are my own children. There are ratio issues and liability issues if I mix business and pleasure too. I'm sure you understand."

If you really like her, maybe you can meet on weekends or suggest her child come as a drop-in client to help with her socialization. Of course, a fee is involved.
finsup 01:21 PM 07-10-2016
I say "I'm working during he week but maybe we could plan something for the weekend? Meet upt at the park maybe?" Then if she starts saying "oh i thought since you just had the daycare kids..." or something like that, then I respond with "I do have drop in spots availabe for 35$/day if you're interested in something like that!"
Reply Up