Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Charge
Thriftylady 04:56 AM 07-13-2016
I was hoping you all could help me decide what to charge for this. I have a DCM who is going on vacation her SO. She is leaving on July 29th and will be back Aug 7th.

Now she tells me the person who was supposed to keep the girls backed out on her. Of course this seems to happen to her a lot, so sometimes I wonder if that really happened or if she just doesn't want to ask so to speak. Regardless it doesn't matter. She said she is still looking for someone, but I am not so sure. And, money doesn't seem to be an issue for her.

I am willing, the girls are pretty easy for the most part, I mean they are kids and all but pretty good girls. And quite frankly, we could really use the money. So I told mom we would work something out. Obviously, I will charge more than my normal rate for this, I am not sure how much more though.
childcaremom 05:05 AM 07-13-2016
There was a post on here a while ago and had an explanation on how someone figured it out. It was a long term stay, though, not just a week.

I think if you took your monthly expenses/4 that would give you a starting point. That would factor in groceries, elec, power, water, etc. Time. Other incidentals.

Then you would need to worry about health cards, permission to seek medical treatment, etc.
Thriftylady 05:08 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
There was a post on here a while ago and had an explanation on how someone figured it out. It was a long term stay, though, not just a week.

I think if you took your monthly expenses/4 that would give you a starting point. That would factor in groceries, elec, power, water, etc. Time. Other incidentals.

Then you would need to worry about health cards, permission to seek medical treatment, etc.
Yeah I have the medical info and the emergency consents and all. I do worry that she will be far away (we are in Ohio she is going to Florida), and something could happen. But hopefully it won't. I wouldn't want them to wait for mom if something happened.
Annalee 05:12 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I was hoping you all could help me decide what to charge for this. I have a DCM who is going on vacation her SO. She is leaving on July 29th and will be back Aug 7th.

Now she tells me the person who was supposed to keep the girls backed out on her. Of course this seems to happen to her a lot, so sometimes I wonder if that really happened or if she just doesn't want to ask so to speak. Regardless it doesn't matter. She said she is still looking for someone, but I am not so sure. And, money doesn't seem to be an issue for her.

I am willing, the girls are pretty easy for the most part, I mean they are kids and all but pretty good girls. And quite frankly, we could really use the money. So I told mom we would work something out. Obviously, I will charge more than my normal rate for this, I am not sure how much more though.
My brother and his wife went on a trip for 10 days and it cost them $100 a day.....this was a family friend but when they checked the nanny website, it would cost them $200-$300 a day.....so they agreed to pay the $100
Mike 06:01 AM 07-13-2016
For myself, I would charge 1.5-2x my normal rate.
Miss A 07:37 AM 07-13-2016
When I was working in a center, I had a family that I regularly took home and nannied for after work and overnight. I did it in their home, as they had 4 children. I charged $50/overnight for that, as I as in their home. I know that is not the same scenario, but that gives you a base to expand on.
rosieteddy 08:40 AM 07-13-2016
I would charge the regular weekly rate then add on extra hours.Overnight would be 50.00 dollars regardless that would be 8 -6am bedtime .Then I would charge 10.00 extra per hour over time ex-6am to 8 am 20.00 each.Then 6 pm to 8 pm same 20.00 .It is a huge imposition but if the money is substantial worth it.You could look up nanny's but remember they are at the clients house.You will be buying and preparing all meals ect.
finsup 08:51 AM 07-13-2016
When I had a friend watch my son (at that point he was my only) for a week, I paid her 700$ for sunday-friday. I personally would expect to pay at least 1,000$ for more then one kid for a week. Maybe 2-2.5 times your weekly rate? And add on weekends?
Thriftylady 12:34 PM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
When I had a friend watch my son (at that point he was my only) for a week, I paid her 700$ for sunday-friday. I personally would expect to pay at least 1,000$ for more then one kid for a week. Maybe 2-2.5 times your weekly rate? And add on weekends?
She doesn't make much issue over money, but I bet she would fall on the floor and die if I quoted a rate like that!
Laurel 03:24 PM 07-13-2016
Without looking at the calendar (cause I'm too lazy) if that is 7 days, I'd charge whatever your day rate for 7 days would normally be and then double that since you are keeping them all day and all night.
Unregistered 12:31 AM 07-14-2016
I do night care once in a while and I charge an hourly rate for when the kids are awake ($2 cheaper than the nannies rate) and a flat fee for the night ($75 in California).
Depending on the kids ages I might charge less for the night flat rate(but remember you might need to wake up a few time).

So if the kid(s) usually go to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 7am that is the $75 flat fee and the rest of the day I count hourly and round it up (for example for the 13hours in the day I would give count 12hours).

If you are afraid to ask too much money, maybe you can give two options to the mom (I do sometime). Either is this $$$ amount which includes everything or the cheaper option $$$ but she has to provide the snacks & give you a gift card to the grocery store for fresh products.
daycarediva 04:16 AM 07-14-2016
I would do your daily rate x 3 (3 shifts) per child, then add an additional 10-15/day maybe for additional meals (dinner, snack) AND I would have her provide cash in advance for something fun for you and the kids to do. Movies, bowling, etc.
Thriftylady 05:21 AM 07-14-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would do your daily rate x 3 (3 shifts) per child, then add an additional 10-15/day maybe for additional meals (dinner, snack) AND I would have her provide cash in advance for something fun for you and the kids to do. Movies, bowling, etc.
I already provide breakfast, lunch and a light dinner. So I would be adding an extra snack or two. I had thought about doing something with the girls over the week, so will consider adding something for that. I hadn't thought of that, it is a good idea!
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 07-14-2016
I would wonder if the other parent would have liked the opportunity to vacation with the kids?

If not, I'd go with 2x my weekly rate plus $50 per day for the weekends.So, $440, here. Per kid.

I know it sounds low, but this is the rural south. It goes further.
Thriftylady 07:50 AM 07-14-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would wonder if the other parent would have liked the opportunity to vacation with the kids?

If not, I'd go with 2x my weekly rate plus $50 per day for the weekends.So, $440, here. Per kid.

I know it sounds low, but this is the rural south. It goes further.
He's in jail.
KTsKids 09:01 AM 07-14-2016
I'm open 24/7 anyway so I've done my fair share of long term stays. My families pay $25/day and $35/night for drop in which makes it $60 for every 24 hour shift per child.

If the parents are going to be out of town I require them to have a LOCAL back up person should their child get sick. I learned my lesson after a 6 year old DCG came down with a horrible case of the flu while mom and dad were in Vegas, at which point I discovered her emergency contact (grandma) had also gone on the trip along with all the other adult family members! That was a fun week...
Thriftylady 09:07 AM 07-14-2016
Originally Posted by KTsKids:
I'm open 24/7 anyway so I've done my fair share of long term stays. My families pay $25/day and $35/night for drop in which makes it $60 for every 24 hour shift per child.

If the parents are going to be out of town I require them to have a LOCAL back up person should their child get sick. I learned my lesson after a 6 year old DCG came down with a horrible case of the flu while mom and dad were in Vegas, at which point I discovered her emergency contact (grandma) had also gone on the trip along with all the other adult family members! That was a fun week...
Wow, I hadn't thought of that!
Tags:charging, overnight, overnight care, overnights
Reply Up