Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early Achievers (WA State)
ButterflyMama 07:30 PM 04-24-2018
I'm not sure how many posts there are for this. I saw one from 2013 with links to others but they're all old and the ones I looked at didnt help.

I'm new to my position and taking on Early Achievers and my supervisor isnt the easiest to talk with. I've asked my coaches today for some guidance but didnt really get it all. I used to work for the company the coaches are at, so I know the Directors of their childcare program. They didnt give me ideas, and when I asked what their centers do, they looked blankly at me (like I was asking to cheat on a test) and then said I could ask the Directors myself. Hrmph. I know two of the sites are behind/catching up, and I asked another but didnt get much help either. I dont want to come across as the biggest dingbat to them, either. I just feel like I have to create something out of nothing.

Apparently I have to come up with an assessment tool or something. So, we have the Curricular Alignment Tool. There's a similar one from WaKids we're not using--I think. Many people use TS Gold for this but my boss doesnt want to use this and the coaches agree. So it means I have to create my own. I dont know what TS Gold does--I registered but it didnt have anything on there but to take a test if my assessment ratings match with others.

I'm confused because the Curricular Alignment Tool is an assessment in itself. So I now have to do something else?
I havent a clue what. The childcare Director I asked does portfolios (I havent seen them, so I can only guess-she says she cannot show me due to copyrights) so I'm thinking I'll copy the Portfolio idea. I'm thinking of having a big box with hanging files for each child and in them put the artwork or a picture of them doing something that demonstrates the goal/activity. Not sure if that's what she's doing or not.

Is that suffice? I'm not quite sure how I need to record the info. Side question: I'm not in the classrooms so I dont know if I should go into the classroom over and over and take pictures and record things myself or if I have the teachers do that and I periodically check to ensure they're doing them...

Hopefully some Washington people are on here to help a gal out! Hopefully I made sense; I'm really just needing to see if the portfolio idea was what I needed to do to substitute for whatever it is that TS Gold is supposed to do.

TIA!
ColorfulSunburst 10:04 PM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by ButterflyMama:
...I dont know what TS Gold does--I registered but it didnt have anything on there...

...Hopefully some Washington people are on here to help a gal out! Hopefully I made sense; I'm really just needing to see if the portfolio idea was what I needed to do to substitute for whatever it is that TS Gold is supposed to do.
I don't know what TS Gold is supposed to do. I just googled
https://www.buffalo.edu/content/dam/...ide_5-2013.pdf
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 04-25-2018
I do not like Teaching Strategies

I have an early childhood degree and I think it's complicated and rigid. I prefer assessment tools such as Ages and Stages or Redleaf Press instead.

Check with the approved curricula for your state and for your QRIS program. Most offer more than one option to meet the observation and assessment goals and don't limit you to one type as a one-size fits all.
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 04-25-2018
Here is what popped up when I google...

https://del.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...riculaList.pdf

https://del.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...umerReport.pdf
Unregistered 03:12 PM 04-29-2018
Thank you!
Unregistered 03:13 PM 04-29-2018
I didnt sign in, but it's the OP, Butterfly Mama. Thanks!
Tags:assessment - stars, assessment sample, curricular alignment tool, early achiever, ts gold
Reply Up