Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Director Accountable
ECEVA 05:30 PM 02-20-2015
I am find it increasingly difficult to hold my director accountable for small things. I don't want to feel like I'm micromanaging. For example, teachers are not permitted to wear sweaters over their uniform shirts. They may wear a long sleeve shirt beneath if they get cold easily but nothing can go over the shirt. Today I observed several teachers with sweaters on towards the middle of the day. I brought them to her attention and she had them remove their sweaters per our uniform policy.

Any creative ways or systems on accountability at the leadership level? I understand that the teachers are making certain choices because they are allowed. How can I get my director to expect excellence for the small things too?
Leigh 06:51 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by ECEVA:
I am find it increasingly difficult to hold my director accountable for small things. I don't want to feel like I'm micromanaging. For example, teachers are not permitted to wear sweaters over their uniform shirts. They may wear a long sleeve shirt beneath if they get cold easily but nothing can go over the shirt. Today I observed several teachers with sweaters on towards the middle of the day. I brought them to her attention and she had them remove their sweaters per our uniform policy.

Any creative ways or systems on accountability at the leadership level? I understand that the teachers are making certain choices because they are allowed. How can I get my director to expect excellence for the small things too?
I can tell you that when working with kids, it's hard enough trying to find time to use the restroom, let alone to change a long sleeved shirt that is under a uniform top as you feel cold or warm. What I think would be a good compromise is to offer a sweater or sweatshirt as part of the uniform...the employees could take it on and off as they feel the need to, and still be "within code".

I can tell you that I go from hot to cold all day long depending on my activity level. And, being such a female dominated business, it would probably be a kindness to allow other uniform options-hormones can really mess with perceived body temperature!
lblanke 07:59 AM 02-21-2015
I bet the teachers feel micromanaged. I would probably quit a job that would not allow me to put on a sweater if I got cold. Unless you are more flexible, I bet you will have time keeping really good teachers. I agree, if the uniform is that big of a deal to you, then you need to offer a variety of choices (sweaters, jackets, long sleeve, short sleeve). You do not want the teachers to have to leave the children to go change when they get uncomfortable.
Controlled Chaos 10:09 AM 02-21-2015
I get what you are saying about the staff breaking rules because they can. When I worked at a center the director had no backbone, she was nice but a terrible boss. We used to wear flip flops, and other uniform no nos because we could, she wouldn't do anything. (I was 19 I am not such a pain in the butt now lol). It was also a way of acting out for us for feeling under paid, under appreciated, like we had no control in our classrooms and only smokers ever got a break. It was the worst. So my advice:
1. Take a look at the big picture first - are they really cold? problem solve if they are. is the staff over all happy? respected? supported?
2. The favorite place I worked in college had an awesome awards system. If you had zero infractions (perfect uniform, station spotless, no guest complaints) you were entered into a drawing to win a gift card or other prizes at the end of the month. You could earn getting your name put in extra for going above and beyond for other things. There was a chart in the break room with contest info and winner pics. It was fun and it made being an awesome employee "cool".
Reply Up