Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing...
Unregistered (logged out) 12:05 PM 03-15-2012
How far in advance do you tell the parents that you are closing?

And how much information do I give them as to why I'm closing? What's the best way to let them know...in person or letter?

I'm more stressed about this right now than the daycare itself!!
cheerfuldom 12:29 PM 03-15-2012
I would tell them in person upon pickup and hand them a letter as official notice and containing a last day. I would try and give one month's notice but even two weeks is sufficient. You don't HAVE to explain anything but it would be nice if you could give something simple so they know it is not them being terminated.Make sure everyone is up to date on payments in case someone decided to skip out on you early.
MamaBear 01:32 PM 03-15-2012
I just did this myself this last week... I gave them 4 weeks notice, but I think 2 weeks is okay too. Good luck! You'll feel a lot better once you do it.
Michael 01:59 PM 03-15-2012
Notice of Closure threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ice+of+closure
saved4always 06:39 PM 03-15-2012
I also gave notice recently that I am closing my daycare. I gave them a letter at drop off and told them also verbally at that time. I gave them 4 weeks notice. One family moved thier daughter to a daycare center/preschool 2 weeks after I gave notice. My last day with the other 2 will be tomorrow which was my last day that I was going to be open. They were all very understanding and 2 of the families even gave me gifts today. I will miss these families and the kids so much. They were one of my best groups ever.
Lucy 06:58 PM 03-15-2012
I'm not closing or even thinking about it, but a question came to me when I read this thread.

Let's say you give them 4 weeks notice, but they find other arrangements and leave after 1 week. Does the 2-week notice still apply to them? Would they have to pay out for a full 2 weeks?

When you give your written notice, do you say something to the effect of, "My last day will be April 13. If you choose to leave earlier than that, you are required to give 2-weeks notice."

Interesting topic. I wish I could close!! Someday.....
emosks 11:40 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I'm not closing or even thinking about it, but a question came to me when I read this thread.

Let's say you give them 4 weeks notice, but they find other arrangements and leave after 1 week. Does the 2-week notice still apply to them? Would they have to pay out for a full 2 weeks?

When you give your written notice, do you say something to the effect of, "My last day will be April 13. If you choose to leave earlier than that, you are required to give 2-weeks notice."

That's what I was thinking. I'd think that they'd have to at least still give you their own 2 week notice to let you know that when their last day would be?
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 03-16-2012

I am nowhere near closing but I would use the same rule I normally use:

If I am available and open for care then two weeks notice would still apply.
saved4always 03:55 PM 03-16-2012

Since I was closing, I did not require that anyone give me a 2 week notice if they found a new caregiver before my close date. I personally didn't think it would be fair of me to insist on one. One of my families left with a little over a week's verbal notice and the other 2 families stayed the full 4 weeks that I had left being open.
Tags:notice of closure
Reply Up