Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another One Of These
CraftyMom 06:28 AM 05-30-2015
This topic has been brought up on here before. The emails that seem fishy...they live in another country and are coming into town for a few weeks and want to pay in advance for daycare.

Here is another example. Some were wondering if these were a scam. Yes, always a scam. Do not feed into these emails!

Hello,

My name is Bridget Hammond; my daughter and I will be coming
to
Massachusetts for 1month. My company is sending me on a business trip
to
over see the set-up of a new warehouse outlet. We would be staying
from
Sunday 14th of June 2015 to Sunday 19th of July 2015. As I will be
working
all week-days, I require the services of a Day Care or Child Care
provider
for my daughter from Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm each week for 5weeks.
I am
a single mother and my daughter (Audrey Hammond) is 3years old.

I will
be elated if you can have my daughter on a short-term basis at your
daycare for
5weeks. She will be able to easily adapt to a new daycare
environment as she's
already use to going to nursery each morning here in
London, she is fully potty
trained and has no allergies. I would greatly
appreciate your thoughts,
recommendation and the total costs for your
daycare services including
activities, breakfast, lunch and snacks (all
inclusive package).

I'm 41
years old and a senior accountant, working with Hinckley Foods
Limited here in
the United Kingdom. I will be happy to pay in advance of
my visit to guarantee
your services during my stay. I look forward to
hearing from you, many
thanks.

Best regards,
Bridget Hammond
69 Eglinton Rd
London SE18
3SY
United Kingdom

Controlled Chaos 09:38 AM 05-30-2015
I would chat with her on the phone and if she can pay in cash I would be fine with it.

I get lots of scam emails, that one seems more legit than the ones I get So many people wanting to pay me $400 a week for little suzie who will take a taxi from the hotel. Drives me crazy.

I did take two little boys on for only 2 months, their mom was doing a medical residency at the hospital up the street. It worked out great.
AuntTami 09:51 AM 05-30-2015
I got a text last summer that I thought was a scam but I ended up making $350 off the weekend lol. It was a mother of 2, coming to get married in my town from Florida and she needed someone to care for her children while she got ready and after the ceremony. I was super skeptical for quite a while and then she actually showed up like she said she was going to! Im such a skeptic most of the time, I was certain it was a scam so I threw out an astronomical number and then felt almost bad when it cost them almost $400 for me to watch their two girls for a total of 24 hours between Friday morning and Monday morning. LOL
e.j. 02:44 PM 05-30-2015
It reads like a scam to me. There's so much detail in it - her job title, age, she's single, why she's coming to the US, the company she works for, her dd's name and age, etc - that it's like they're trying a little too hard to convince you it's legit. My guess is that it's a scam but you could always offer to speak with her. If you want to risk it, I would definitely require cash in advance to hold and pay for the spot.
Unregistered 02:54 PM 05-30-2015
I got this same exact email today!
Unregistered 02:55 PM 05-30-2015
I deleted it after reading this post. She is looking for care in Massachusetts and lives in London.
CraftyMom 05:18 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
It reads like a scam to me. There's so much detail in it - her job title, age, she's single, why she's coming to the US, the company she works for, her dd's name and age, etc - that it's like they're trying a little too hard to convince you it's legit. My guess is that it's a scam but you could always offer to speak with her. If you want to risk it, I would definitely require cash in advance to hold and pay for the spot.

Yes, too much detail. Usually I get a few sentences in an email. Pretty much just "Hi, I'm interested in daycare, do you have an openings?" That type of thing
Laurel 05:41 PM 05-30-2015
The most interesting call I got was a woman who said her husband was a professional football player. I don't remember his name now and I don't follow football but my son said he was famous, lol. She said she was looking for someone to watch her child when the team had games in Miami and it would be on some Sundays. I told her Ft. Lauderdale where I am was an hour drive to Miami but she wanted to set up an interview. They were a no show for the interview and I never heard from them again.

Just a weird kind of call.

Laurel
momshome 12:06 PM 06-02-2015
I googled the company she said she works for and it doesn't exist. Also, I'm in a very small town and I know there isn't a warehouse outlet going in here, lol!
Scam.
AmyKidsCo 01:07 PM 06-02-2015
I don't get what the scam is - what do they get from it?
CraftyMom 02:03 PM 06-02-2015
My guess is that since they want to pay in advance they ask for your account information to send the money or something. I'm really not sure. But I have received 10-15 of these in the almost 3 years I've been open and they are all similar...from another country, only in town for a few weeks, want to pay in advance, will pay any amount you ask or sometimes they set the payment which is waayy higher than necessary, all offer a lot of very detailed information. Too coincidental that so many people have the same or very similar situation
momshome 02:06 PM 06-02-2015
Usually the scam is that they send you a check, and then have some odd reason that it is way to much and ask you to send money back. Then you find out their check wasn't good. Or they ask your bank account, which you should never give out, to wire you the money.

I would be interested what other parts of Massachusetts got this, I am in Western MA. Or if other states have received it.
Rockgirl 02:09 PM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't get what the scam is - what do they get from it?
What I've heard is that they want to send a check for way more than what you'd charge. Then you are supposed to deposit it into your account and send them the difference. Their check is no good, and you've already sent them the money.
Rockgirl 02:10 PM 06-02-2015
Oops...while I was typing, momshome answered.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:04 PM 06-02-2015
I got the exact same one. (Western MA)
e.j. 12:06 PM 06-03-2015
I'm in MA but haven't received it.
Unregistered 06:33 AM 06-04-2015
I got the same one, I'm in Mass.
Luvnmykidz 11:24 AM 06-04-2015
Are any of you registered on care.com? Lately I have been receiving a lot of messages ranging from moving to the area, to being deaf and looking for support. They all say they reviewed my profile on care.com. I wondered about the ones where the parent was deaf and just went along with it until they requested the address to send a money order with about $700 over the monthly amount. The mother stated Icould keep $300 of it and to send her the difference.
CraftyMom 11:45 AM 06-04-2015
I'm almost positive it comes from craigslist. I'm not sure about the others who have received this, but I always seem to get them when I post my ad on craigslist
MsLisa 07:25 AM 06-05-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I'm almost positive it comes from craigslist. I'm not sure about the others who have received this, but I always seem to get them when I post my ad on craigslist
Yup! I get them every time from Craigslist and now i'm getting them on SitterCity. Ugh.
Reply Up