Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Deposit Questions...
melilley 09:25 AM 11-28-2012
I am debating of whether or not I should charge a deposit. I am thinking of charging parents a two weeks deposit and that would be applied to the last two weeks of care provided there is a two weeks notice. If you do the same, how do new parents react when you tell them they have to pay the two weeks deposit plus the first week of care before care starts. (my policy is going to be that parents need to pay tuition on the last day of the current weeks’ attendance for the upcoming week) Do you allow payment plans for the deposit? Does it deter parents from choosing you for care? Any suggestions would be helpful!
Heidi 10:47 AM 11-28-2012
I take one weeks deposit (to be applied to the last week of care), and then they pay on the first day of care every week.

I've never been skipped out on in almost 12 years of daycare. I don't do two weeks because it's a lot of $ to come up with, and because I figure if they are willing to give 1 week notice/deposit, they probably won't be skippers anyway. So far, so good.
EchoMom 11:00 AM 11-28-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I take one weeks deposit (to be applied to the last week of care), and then they pay on the first day of care every week.

I've never been skipped out on in almost 12 years of daycare. I don't do two weeks because it's a lot of $ to come up with, and because I figure if they are willing to give 1 week notice/deposit, they probably won't be skippers anyway. So far, so good.
I do exactly this for exactly the same reason. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Mom&Provider 12:04 PM 11-28-2012
I've never thought about this actually and it makes sense.

I currently charge a 2 week deposit to be applied to the first two weeks of care...but nothing on the other end. I should perhaps start taking 2 weeks, 1 week to start and the other week applied to the end. I guess my thinking was that these kids are so small that the last week of care wouldn't be used for years, but I can see (now that I've been into it for a couple of years) that things happen, not everything works out and it's good to have some protection!
daycare 12:12 PM 11-28-2012
I have all parents pay a two week deposit per child.

I give them the option to pay all up front or they can pay $25.00 a week until it is paid in full.

I have only ever had one family walk out on not paying and I was more than happy to keep their deposit.

If a family has two children, it's two week deposit for each child. If a family with two or more kids leaves without notice, this would be a HUGE chunk of my income to lose.
bunnyslippers 01:06 PM 11-28-2012
I charge a $100 good faith fee. It is charged before they begin, and doesn't go towards any weeks in care. Never had a problem or a skip out. I think it weeds out the daycare jumpers.
Reply Up