Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Introducing Myself
drseuss 04:33 PM 03-05-2014
Hello fellow childcare providers and parents! I came here because I was looking for a group of other child care providers to bounce thoughts, ideas and feelings around with.

I am a state-licensed family child care program. I have been doing child care formally since 1997, save for a four-year hiatus when my family and I tried making a go of a small retail business. I studied elementary education in college, where I found that my passion was in early childhood, and where I also discovered that there was no way I could handle the politics that comes with being a school teacher. The big discovery that I made there, through observations of every manner of different early childhood environment, was that this world needs HIGH quality child care. I knew that I wanted to be home with my children, so my natural choice was to open a child care program in my home. We were fortunate to be able to build our home around having a daycare. It's been a joyous, wild, exhilarating and exhausting ride!

I look forward to getting to know you all a bit.
Heidi 04:37 PM 03-05-2014
Welcome!

I am a family childcare provider in WI. I have 4 children myself (24,21,16,13) and was an FCC from 1992-2002 and from Feb 2011-now. I've been encouraged by former dcp's to consider teaching in the public schools, but said "NO WAY!" for exactly the reasons you discovered.
Blackcat31 04:50 PM 03-05-2014
Welcome to the forum!

I am an accidental child care provider. Never meant to ever work in this field.

Funny how life takes you places other than where you were headed...

Anyways, for various reasons I am still here providing care ....loooooong after my own two have grown and gone.

I still plan on being here for a bit longer.

......unless I win the lottery. .... Well, until we win the one with 6 or more zeros.
drseuss 05:28 PM 03-05-2014
Thank you and thank you and hello to a fellow Wisconsinite!
daycare 05:45 PM 03-05-2014
hey there.....cali girl here, originally from Egypt. been in the field about 11.5 years of in-home and love it.

currently working on my bachelors in business admin (don't ask why...lol) I intend to do daycare until I just can't do it anymore.

married to a doctor who is not practicing lol,

I love working out at the gym, hate teenagers, but love my own and adore anyone under the age of 7........................................

Happy to meet you, sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge to share with all of us here...
craftymissbeth 08:22 AM 03-06-2014
Hi there! Welcome! This forum has been the biggest help for me since starting. Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing business-wise if wasn't for this place

I just opened my home daycare in June of 2013. I have a 7 year old son who is in first grade, but I was working at our county DMV office and every part of our home life was suffering. I lost my job in December of 2012 and it was the perfect opportunity to do what I've always dreamed of doing. I still struggle with getting everything done, but working from home has been a huge help!

I hope you get everything you need from the forum!
melilley 10:26 AM 03-06-2014
Hi and welcome! This forum is awesome, I'm glad you found it!

I started out studying elementary edu. as well, but then I switched to child development and received my AA. I would love to get my BA, but I wouldn't make any more money than I do now so it would be for personal reasons and that's pretty expensive. I started out working in a center in 1998 and from the first day there, I knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life!

I opened my fcc in Jan of 2013. Dh and I decided to have another baby and basically the only way to do that (that made sense financially) was to open my fcc. (I wanted to do so anyways) So here I am!
Heidi 10:52 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
Thank you and thank you and hello to a fellow Wisconsinite!
Cool! I will PM you...watch the box in the upper right corner.
Deulinda78 10:30 AM 03-07-2014
Introduce yourself. Find out how to use your account and forum features. Who are you? Why do you do/use daycare? What brought you here? What kind of daycare are you associated with?

My name is Teresa Valente I live in Quakertown, PA.I have a 20 month old daughter and we plan to expand our family I would like to stay home with my babies and also supplement some income.
I would like to start my home daycare in the next month or so. I'm not a child care state provider as of yet, I hope to be Licensed this summer. The state gave me the okay to start my daycare with 3 kids at anytime. I work a full time job. My plan is to hire someone to start it with me while I still work. Is that ok? I don't know the rules just want some advice.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Deulinda78:
Introduce yourself. Find out how to use your account and forum features. Who are you? Why do you do/use daycare? What brought you here? What kind of daycare are you associated with?

My name is Teresa Valente I live in Quakertown, PA.I have a 20 month old daughter and we plan to expand our family I would like to stay home with my babies and also supplement some income.
I would like to start my home daycare in the next month or so. I'm not a child care state provider as of yet, I hope to be Licensed this summer. The state gave me the okay to start my daycare with 3 kids at anytime. I work a full time job. My plan is to hire someone to start it with me while I still work. Is that ok? I don't know the rules just want some advice.
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know the answer to your question as I am not familiar with PA rules in regards to family child care but we do have other members on the board from your state, maybe one will chime in with an answer for you.

Personally, I would contact your state licensing agency and ask them directly.
Reply Up