Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Fever: What Would You Do?
Lissa Kristine 08:11 PM 11-20-2017
One of the DCGs (just under 15 months old) at my job came in this morning with Motrin in her lunchbag. Dad said that she wasn't feeling well over the weekend, but they attributed it to a reaction to her vaccinations.

She seemed herself for most of the day, but right before her second nap, she had a mild fever (around 100 degrees). As she wasn't lethargic and our only indication that she was feverish was that I just HAPPENED to be playing "Where's so-and-so?" (Where I flip the child over my shoulder and act like I've lost him/her).

When she woke up however, her cheeks were bright red and she was clearly burning up. I was always told you don't take the child's temperature immediately after waking up, and that you avoid giving hot/cold food or beverages AND you avoid snuggling them for a little while.

So, one of my coworkers (15 years old) gave the little girl water and snuggled her.

When I finally took her temperature, it was 101.8 under the armpit (making it 102.8 when you add the degree). Before the thermometer even beeped, I told my boss that we need to get the medicine out.

Of course, DCG wasn't too thrilled about taking medicine. My 15 year old coworker basically refused to let me give her the medicine because DCG was fighting it. "She won't want to take it if you're forcing her."

Now, normally, I don't force kids to eat. I believe that they'll eat when they're hungry enough, so if I child closes his/her mouth and turns away from a bottle or spoon, I don't force it. (Assuming, of course, that the child is otherwise healthy).

However, at a fever that is just south of 103 degrees (which I am fully aware is NOT "a reaction to vaccinations" and possibility a sign that she is the third child in a school of 17 to have strep throat), I'm willing to make an exception.

As per her mom's note, we put the medicine in her sippy cup of water to see if it would help. (I did insist on dumping out most of the water so she'd be able to get the full dose of medicine). She refused to drink any more water, so we tried moving the little bit of water (maybe half an ounce or so) into her bottle and mix it with an equal amount of milk to see if she'd take her bottle. She refused that.

My coworker defended DCG saying that she probably doesn't want to eat or drink anything because she doesn't feel well.

I'm 26. I don't particularly like taking medicine of ANY kind for ANY reason. However, I've come to recognize that there are times where the initial discomfort of taking medicine isn't a good enough reason not to take any. Sure, if I have a mild headache, I can probably get away with letting it run its course or taking a nap and sleeping it off. However, if I get a migraine where my hands start going numb, and I'm expected to drive home, I'm going to take a dose of Excedrin ASAP because at that point, I'm a danger to myself or others if I don't treat it.

A 14 month old isn't capable of making those decisions, so it's up to the adults who care for her to do so on her behalf.

I saw a toddler with burning red cheeks, a fever just south of 103 degrees, who was clearly NOT herself, and my initial reaction was, as we had parental permission to administer fever-reducing medication, to get the medicine in her ASAP. I feel it's better for the toddler to be upset/angry about being forced to take medication that she doesn't want to take, than risk something like a febrile seizure.

And fyi, while I was pushing her to take the medicine, I wasn't pushing any harder than one of my coworker pushes her to eat her breakfast. I wasn't at the point of pinning her down or anything like that, but I didn't think that allowing her to slowly sip her water over the course of an hour or so was sufficient. (Especially since they had written that she took her medicine at 4:58pm when she hadn't consumed ANY as of 5:10pm). Should the fever NOT come down, knowing when her last dose ACTUALLY was is pretty important- whether because they want to alternate with Tylenol, or because they take her in to see a doctor and the doctor needs to know when her last dose was.

We did NOT call the parents as this was within an hour of the daycare closing, so parents were already on their way there. I left around 5:15, so I'm unsure if/when she ACTUALLY took her medicine, but I'm willing to bet that the parents weren't told to have her checked for strep and/or the parents weren't told that she can't return until she's fever-free WITHOUT the use of fever reducing drugs for at least 24 hours.

Am I crazy or wrong for wanting to get medicine in this girl sooner rather than later, or was my teenage coworker right for insisting on letting the toddler win the medicine fight.
amberrose3dg 03:59 AM 11-21-2017
Oh my goodness, why wasn't the parents called for pick up sooner?
If she has strep throat lots of other kids or yourself could get sick. I NEVER let a child stay with me when they have a fever over 100.1 . There could be a million reasons why that is. I'm no doctor but there is no way that was from shots. Next time i would call for pick up immediately.
Lissa Kristine 04:20 AM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Oh my goodness, why wasn't the parents called for pick up sooner?
If she has strep throat lots of other kids or yourself could get sick. I NEVER let a child stay with me when they have a fever over 100.1 . There could be a million reasons why that is. I'm no doctor but there is no way that was from shots. Next time i would call for pick up immediately.
Unfortunately, I don't have any say in whether we call parents or not. (We didn't call when we saw she had pinkeye either). Though, seeing as it was within 45 minutes of the center closing, the assistant director assumed that she was going to be picked up soon anyway and with wrapping things up at work/commuting, giving a call wouldn't get her picked up any sooner. Had this been at 10 in the morning, we probably would have called. (At least, I HOPE we would have called).
daycarediva 04:56 AM 11-21-2017
15 year old coworker? What?! What state is that legal?

Fever=go home. The fever showed up at nap because the parents are aware she's ill and dosed her with antipyretic before dropping off to mask symptoms.
Jupadia 05:05 AM 11-21-2017
I had a child a couple weeks ago that few days after shots that got a fever (about 4 days). I called for pickup I did give tyolnol as per moms request, But also had parents pick up. She ended up being put from Tuesday to Friday. Some kids will have reactions to shots but fever equals no care here. I don't care why kid is feverish they are just not allowed in care.
BumbleBee 05:25 AM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
15 year old coworker? What?! What state is that legal?

Fever=go home. The fever showed up at nap because the parents are aware she's ill and dosed her with antipyretic before dropping off to mask symptoms.
Legal in Michigan for home and group daycares. Not sure about centers. Can have an assistant age 14 as long as the daycare license holder is on site.
Ladybugs 05:41 AM 11-21-2017
Sounds like a dose and drop to me since the fever mysteriously appeared around lunchtime AND the parents just happened to send in Tylenol. 🙄

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree with your coworker (15???).
As mean as it sounds, I hold them very still to get medicine in them; very few toddlers will willingly take medicine.

I also find it appalling that parents aren’t notified immediately for obvious signs of illness (fever, pinkeye). You have more sense than your supervisors do.
rosieteddy 05:41 AM 11-21-2017
I would have just waited for parent to administer meds.Hopefully they are not bringing her back until 24 hours fever free.I would let someone else administer the med .
amberrose3dg 05:52 AM 11-21-2017
15 is a no no here. I can't hire anyone unless they are at least 18. We can have a volunteer that is at least 16 but they can't do much really. Surely wouldn't decide who received meds etc..
It didn't sound like it was right before you guys closed unless you close real early. You said around nap time which I'm assuming is what 12 or 1?
When my son went to a center they sent him home over one lose stool. Sounds like your center is breaking some rules.
MomBoss 06:13 AM 11-21-2017
I would never administer meds like Tylonal or Motrin. Only medications prescribed by doctors. Too much liability. If the parents really were about to come in 45min it could have waited.
Lissa Kristine 06:21 AM 11-21-2017
It wasn’t “naptime.” She was falling asleep while playing, so we put her down for a second nap. (She does often take two naps still, so this wasn’t anything unusual).

DCG is in today because her fever broke after taking the medicine (duh). As of 8:30 AM, it was at 99.8 or so and I will be monitoring and keeping my boss posted.
Unregistered 06:52 AM 11-21-2017
At our center we send them home if they have a fever no matter the temp and they HAVE TO BE FEVER FREE FOR 24 HOURS without the use of meds. If we give a child meds at our daycare, we have to have a medical form signed and dated with the name of the medication, amount to be given, and the time that it was administersted at home plus what time it needs it be given at the daycare (usually between 11:00-11:30) and it cannot say "as needed" because they consider that a blanket form which in their eyes in illegal.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 11-21-2017
My concern here is a worker that has no authority to call parents (?) and 15 yr old staff person (??) arguing over medicating a child.

There is a lot wrong with this entire scenario.
daycarediva 08:46 AM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My concern here is a worker that has no authority to call parents (?) and 15 yr old staff person (??) arguing over medicating a child.

Seriously. Why would a 15 year old be allowed to make this judgement call?

I would be calling licensing and finding a new job if I were you. No way would I stay employed at a place that intentionally puts the health of staff and children at risk.
Sweet pea 09:27 AM 11-21-2017
What was happening with the rest of the kids whilst this one child took two workers off the floor for around an hour by the sounds of it. Seems like a hopeless situation for op, I would be looking to work somewhere else. That child could have started convulsing or worse. The parent should ALWAYS be contacted straight away upon discovering a temperature no matter what time of day it is.
Lissa Kristine 09:30 AM 11-21-2017

I'm a relatively new hire; I'm still waiting on my universal fingerprinting form so I can get fingerprinted (even though I was just fingerprinted for another job in early October- unfortunately, it won't transfer over).

The center is going through some staff/ownership changes, and I'm pretty optimistic that the new owner is going to put her foot down about a lot of the regulations we aren't following (like the lack of soap and water for a two step cleaning procedure). I'm waiting for the changes to go into effect to see what happens before I jump ship. (Especially since finding work while working full time is a bit of a challenge).

DCG's fever spiked at around 11am this morning- 102 degrees. Assistant director says that mom is a lawyer and dad works far away, so parents are busy. She's down for a nap, but we are going to call if the fever hasn't broken when she wakes up. I, personally, think we should call NOW, but that's not my call.

Of course, I also think we need to tell her parents that we have two confirmed cases of strep throat in the school and that they need to have her checked for strep, and that she needs to be fever free for at least 24 hours without use of medication (meaning the earliest she should be back is MONDAY since we are closed Thursday and Friday).
Lissa Kristine 09:33 AM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by Sweet pea:
What was happening with the rest of the kids whilst this one child took two workers off the floor for around an hour by the sounds of it. Seems like a hopeless situation for op, I would be looking to work somewhere else. That child could have started convulsing or worse. The parent should ALWAYS be contacted straight away upon discovering a temperature no matter what time of day it is.
I agree. I understand that at 5pm, parents are probably not going to be able to get there any earlier than they were originally planning, but they should at least be informed before picking up.
Meeko 12:30 PM 11-21-2017
I don't give OTC meds. If a child is ill enough and cranky enough to need it....then they need to be at home. Period. Parents would be called for pick up. I call even if it's 5 minutes before regular pick up, just to inform the parent they have a sick child.
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by Lissa Kristine:
I'm a relatively new hire; I'm still waiting on my universal fingerprinting form so I can get fingerprinted (even though I was just fingerprinted for another job in early October- unfortunately, it won't transfer over).

The center is going through some staff/ownership changes, and I'm pretty optimistic that the new owner is going to put her foot down about a lot of the regulations we aren't following (like the lack of soap and water for a two step cleaning procedure). I'm waiting for the changes to go into effect to see what happens before I jump ship. (Especially since finding work while working full time is a bit of a challenge).

DCG's fever spiked at around 11am this morning- 102 degrees. Assistant director says that mom is a lawyer and dad works far away, so parents are busy. She's down for a nap, but we are going to call if the fever hasn't broken when she wakes up. I, personally, think we should call NOW, but that's not my call.

Of course, I also think we need to tell her parents that we have two confirmed cases of strep throat in the school and that they need to have her checked for strep, and that she needs to be fever free for at least 24 hours without use of medication (meaning the earliest she should be back is MONDAY since we are closed Thursday and Friday).
Wow! First off... It sounds like you really have an awful working environment. I commend you for recognizing all that is wrong...

I definitely hope the new owner/director will step up and make some big changes... and if that doesn't happen I hope you are able to find alternate employment elsewhere as this center (as it operates currently) sounds like a giant accident just waiting to happen.

Have you considered opening your own family child care? It sounds like you have the right ideas and the knowledge to do so and you also sound like you'd be a caring, concerned and kind caregiver.

~Just curious about your options...
daycarediva 01:18 PM 11-21-2017
Wow! First off... It sounds like you really have an awful working environment. I commend you for recognizing all that is wrong...

I definitely hope the new owner/director will step up and make some big changes... and if that doesn't happen I hope you are able to find alternate employment elsewhere as this center (as it operates currently) sounds like a giant accident just waiting to happen.

Have you considered opening your own family child care? It sounds like you have the right ideas and the knowledge to do so and you also sound like you'd be a caring, concerned and kind caregiver.

~Just curious about your options...
great suggestion!

idc how "BUSY" parents are. I've had surgeons as clients. ALL need back up people.
amberrose3dg 02:31 PM 11-21-2017
Busy leading into neglect. That child needs to be home and possibly seen by a Dr. 2 days of fever and possibly getting others sick. They need to be told not to bring her back tomorrow. They are never too busy to care for their child!
Ariana 04:33 PM 11-21-2017
Classic case of director opening a daycare with zero experience with taking care of children. I worked with an engineer who opened a daycare for his church because they needed one for the members. When I went to work there I was fresh out of college but even I knew how bad it was! The final straw was when they made a child sit in her own vomit during naptime to break her of her nap time anxiety
Buttercup 09:55 PM 11-21-2017
That poor baby. The fever was discovered at 11 (obvious dope and drop) yet she remained at the center until closing time??? So she's sick and miserable for 6 hours, probably just wanting to go home and snuggle. not to mention everyone who's now been exposed. I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.
Buttercup 10:00 PM 11-21-2017
Oh, and a 15 year old telling me how to do my job would piss me OFF. XD Sorry you had to deal with all of this!!
Tags:fever - policy
Reply Up