Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Goofy Question
snips&snails 07:42 PM 12-28-2012
So - what do you do about using the restroom? And does it vary depending on the ages you have? Several people I have talked to have told me they leave the door open and/or get followed in anyway, or bring the littlest ones with them for supervision. I dont have any under 1 at the moment but I can't imagine leaving infants alone with toddlers/preschoolers unsupervised...maybe in a pen? Right now I have a 2, an almost 2, & my 3 yr old & they are fully capable of wreaking havoc in a short period of time lol. But at the same time I am pretty sure the parents would be uncomfortable with a bathroom open-door policy So...what do you do?
laundrymom 07:46 PM 12-28-2012
I go fast, lol and do leave the door open, I open my sink vanity door to offer more protection. I recommend getting them busy, then going fast.
coolconfidentme 07:51 PM 12-28-2012
I make sure the doors leading outside are locked & tell the children I have to use the restroom & to be good because I have 'mimi' powers & will no if they are good or bad. I keep the door slightly cracked open. I 'high-5' them for being good when I'm done. So far it's working.

My youngest is a mentally challenged 2 year old.
Crazy In Mo 07:59 PM 12-28-2012
This is a funny question! I've often wondered the same thing but as for telling them I'm going to use the restroom and to be good we'll that wouldn't work around here. I have to wait until they are busy doing something then I sneak to the potty. Then i go "super fast"!! If they knew I was going they would be into everything in the 30 seconds I was gone.
Crystal 08:00 PM 12-28-2012
I just go. Go in, close the door and go. FAST.
daycaremom76 09:14 PM 12-28-2012
LOL I think about asking this all the time!!!!

I don't use the kids' bathroom I use the one upstairs. Everyone has to sit at the table while I run up real quick and yell to them the whole time reminding them I can see them with my "MOMMY EYES" they are usually pretty good! Last week we had the bug run through and my "tummy" wasn't cooperating with going fast, it was a crazy week, thank god it doesn't happen to often!!
youretooloud 09:52 PM 12-28-2012
I just go. My bathroom is on the other side of a gate. So, they can't really bug me. But, the little ones do stand at the gate, so I have to get them to move before I can step over it again. It's weird that they do that.

In my old house, they would lay on the floor peeking under the door and say "You go potty?". Then when I came out they said "YAY".
CozyHome 09:58 PM 12-28-2012
My dckids learn quickly that they must stay in the daycare room with the toys. It's a safety issue. If I run out to the kitchen I can still see them but if I run out to the bathroom or to pack up the stroller in my entrance hallway for our morning outing they can't see me for a minute or two. So they need to know that they have to stay in the toyroom which is my living room.
spud912 10:26 PM 12-28-2012
I'm weird in that I usually don't have to go at any point while they are awake. The rare time I do go, I just go fast (although I always go fast so it's really no different than normal). In my house, the bathroom is right off of the playroom so while I may not see them, I can always hear what's going on.

That goes for many times throughout the day. It would be literally impossible for me to keep an eye on every child at every point of the day. There is only one of me and running a daycare involves many many activities that don't allow me to stare at all of the kids at all times (for example: diaper changes, potty supervision (boys and girls go separately), making meals, washing dishes, sweeping the floor after a meal, wiping the table and counters, and general things like preparing children to go outside or come inside, getting supplies, etc.). I wish I had 20 eyes and cameras in every angle of the house and outside, but I think it's completely reasonable to be out of sight of the children for little blocks of time in order to function and properly do our job. I hate that people actually expect us to be staring at their child's every move at every moment .
daycarediva 04:57 AM 12-29-2012
I do the same thing I do for diaper changes and taking other kids to the restroom, we all line up, grab a busy bag and a carpet square and NOBODY MOVES until we are all done. I go when they go (unless it's an emergency). At lunch my dh is home and I will run in with him 'supervising' (which means nobody gets hurt but a mess is made) and after school my 14yo dd always hangs out with them and will watch them for a minute.

Before I terminated them, I had a dcb that could NOT be trusted to not be aggressive when I left the room, he always had to put his hands under the bathroom door.

I have 4x 2's, 1x3 and 1x4.
countrymom 06:08 AM 12-29-2012
well they use to just play with the toys, but now all my toddlers love to stand infront of the door and bang on it and try to open it, I guess I always know where they are lol!
KEG123 06:55 AM 12-29-2012
I run! Make sure they are distracted with coloring, or whatever. Then go fast!
providerandmomof4 07:01 AM 12-29-2012
I go when the babies are napping for longer trips. If I have a lot of coffee in the morning and have to make several trips...I go fast with the babies in the saucer or pack and play. My toddlers can usually be trusted for a minute and my house is so small I can hear everything from any given room, so of course, I leave the door cracked to make sure I can hear
Daycarelady1979 11:28 AM 12-29-2012
My bathroom is on the other side of a gate also, so I just make sure to close the gate behind me...sometimes I leave the bathroom door open since the kids can't see in there...but almost always when I go, the little ones stand at the gate & pull on it or shake it. Drives me nuts...lol I have a little boy who is known for biting, so I try try to make sure he is somewhere that he can't get a hold of the other kids, whether it be the high chair or whatever. My main goal is safety And I have a super-sassy 3 year old girl who stands at the gate & asks me "what are you doing?" a thousand times a day ...so all that said, I go quickly!! LOL
nanglgrl 12:20 PM 12-29-2012
This is what popped into my mind:
Attached: 393091_489369084439127_1838058054_n.jpg (33.5 KB) 
Childminder 03:12 PM 12-29-2012
Originally Posted by :
Attached Thumbnails

Mine too!
My daughter sent this to me cause I'm always saying that I can never go potty alone. Even if a child isn't bothering me the phone will no doubt ring.
countrymom 03:14 PM 12-29-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
this is what my toddlers are now doing, its so funny, heck my own kids (who are much older) love to shove things under the door or talk to me thru the door.
Meeko 08:17 AM 12-30-2012
I have had many an interesting conversation under the bathroom door......
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 12-30-2012

What a funny question..... I guess I have never had any issues using the bathroom or given it a second thought.

Do you guys really have kids that crazy that you can't take a few minutes and use the bathroom?

How do you manage answering the phone or welcoming in a child at drop off or saying goodbye at pick up...how do you manage cooking or diapering?
renodeb 09:56 PM 12-30-2012
I just make sure that there occupied for a moment or two (any babies would be in the play yard for protection) and I just dash. I havent had anything bad happen in that short time span.
Debbie
CozyHome 04:04 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

What a funny question..... I guess I have never had any issues using the bathroom or given it a second thought.

Do you guys really have kids that crazy that you can't take a few minutes and use the bathroom?

How do you manage answering the phone or welcoming in a child at drop off or saying goodbye at pick up...how do you manage cooking or diapering?
I agree with this 100%. I feel really lucky to have well behaved children in care but I've trained them in the rules and teach them daily about manners and sharing and empathy for their friends from day one. I have friends who call me once in a while and their daycares sound like insane asylums. Same thing at parks. I don't get it, why would you want to sign on kids like this and why aren't these caregivers teaching their dckids to behave? Sure, I have the newbie screamers and kids go through phases of drama in front of the parents, but they behave really well for me and know the routines and how things go throughout our day.
snips&snails 02:26 PM 01-01-2013
Originally Posted by :

I don't know what is wrong with these kids I have They are making me crazy - one in particular & he was with another home daycare since infancy so you think he would be trained by now They are all 2 & under & I am primarily experience with preschool so maybe that is part of my problem or maybe they are just little monsters lol.
daycaremom76 02:44 PM 01-01-2013
I have 2 trouble makers in my bunch, one dcb who's 3 and I can sit him on timeout like 30x a day and he will still get up and do the same thing! He takes toys from the other kids, shreeks at the top of his lungs and always runs! The other is a dcg she is in the "no" phase and when I tell her yes she drops to the floor and has a meltdown! It's funny cause both weren't here for a few days over the break and it was sooooooo peaceful and quiet cause they usually get the others going. Dcb has been with me for about 3 months and has been the same the entire time, but to me he isn't so "bad" that I need to get rid of him, it's just annoying cause I know dcm allows him to act like this. Dcg has been with me for a year and this started in the past few months, also just annoying and not bad enough to let her go but same situation dcm doesn't do anything about it so that's why she acts like that. DCM actually told me once that dcg doesn't sit on time out for her so she just gives up............I laughed and it wasn't but a second later that dcg swatted at my dog and I told her to go sit on timeout only once and she went right over and sat down in front of dcm, she was shocked and couldn't believe that she listened w/o fighting!

Long story short, these two are my problem kids when I have to run to the bathroom!
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 01-01-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
I don't know what is wrong with these kids I have They are making me crazy - one in particular & he was with another home daycare since infancy so you think he would be trained by now They are all 2 & under & I am primarily experience with preschool so maybe that is part of my problem or maybe they are just little monsters lol.
Ya know there are definitely groups like that! I prefer the preschool age too and have much more experience with them. I am just lucky enough that I have had a really super great group for several years now.

I had one last year that started to show some signs of not really meshing well with my current group and I have to say I did breathe a huge sigh of relief when the family moved out of town.

He probably would have been "that one" kid that got the rest of them going and I could see how that would severely hamper my bathroom useage!
Sereetta 04:53 PM 01-02-2013
Thanks for posting this question!
Tags:funny, toileting issues
Reply Up