Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Needed For Preschoolers
Unregistered 11:57 AM 04-27-2011
So, I have two boys who are in preschool. Both sweethearts, but all of a sudden in the last month they have totally forgotten all of the rules. CONSTANTLY I am hearing myself say...no running, mind your manners, leave child b alone he doesn't like that. One especially likes to cry at everything and it has escalated. I am trying to hold on to the hopes that summer will be fast for them and off they will go to school, but any suggestions for play for them?

THEY are so bored all of the time and I try to keep them entertained with projects, but they are complaining about that too! Mostly they feed off one another.

In addition, one has spilled his milk 7 times in the last week and a half all because of them not being able to control their table manners...as of today, they are split up from one another for meal time until they can show me they are able to sit by one another again...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. TIA
Lilbutterflie 12:44 PM 04-27-2011
I feel as if you are talking about one of my dcb's. He'll be off to kindergarten in the fall; but he is constantly breaking the rules and pushing me to the limit EVERY day. I am consistent with punishment, he gets one warning and then he gets a t/o or he gets a privelege taken away. I've tried giving him more one on one attention; but it only worked for a while and now he's back to his old self.

Anyway, about spilling drinks. I see a trend every time a child goes through a growth spurt. Growth spurt = spilling drinks! I read an article, and there is a thread here that talks about this; that when they grow it takes their brains several weeks to months to get used to the new lengths of their limbs! That means tripping, falling, and more spills! I have seen it first hand many times. I try to be forgiving about spills and just give them straw cups with lids until their growth spurt is long over.
daycare 01:10 PM 04-27-2011
the older they get the more independence they try to claim.... They will push the rules and boundries to no ends....at least this is my experience.

When I have dealt with this, I always did what you did and seperated the two trouble makers and turned them into role models for the younger. I paired them up with a younger kid to play with....it seemed to me that when the two buddies (Trouble makers) are together, they seem to stew up some bad stuff to do together...

by paring him up with a younger child and showing him to be a role model it changed.....maybe you can give this a try
SimpleMom 01:13 PM 04-27-2011
I pair up the older with the younger at times when they get a bit wriley as well. Sounds like you are talking about a couple of my kiddos I hear ya!

"This too shall pass" That's my motto
Tags:preschool, preschool advice, rules
Reply Up