Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constant Hitting...Same Child
SunflowerMama 08:53 AM 11-15-2011
I have an almost 4yr old dcg that is hitting all the time. We have a little TO chair for hitting and she was there 5 times yesterday and twice already today. Every time she gets out we talk about it and what she could do differently. 5 minutes later I hear "so and so hit me".

She has a baby sibling on the way and that could be it but I just don't know what else to do to stop the behavior. She's definitel old enough to know better so I'm at a loss.

Suggestions??
Zoe 09:07 AM 11-15-2011
Separate her from the group until she can play nice.
sahm2three 09:12 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Separate her from the group until she can play nice.
Same. I have an almost 3 yo. who is constantly hitting with his hands, toys, kicking, pushing, just enflicting pain upon anyone he comes in contact with. So he has his own area. A big play yard with carefully selected toys for him to play with. He has decided that he will throw a temper tantrum and toss all of his toys out. Joke is on him. He now has nothing to play with.
caligirl 01:29 PM 11-15-2011
Make her your shadow. She has to stay with you, next to you wherever you go until she can 'be nice' to her friends
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I have an almost 4yr old dcg that is hitting all the time. We have a little TO chair for hitting and she was there 5 times yesterday and twice already today. Every time she gets out we talk about it and what she could do differently. 5 minutes later I hear "so and so hit me".

She has a baby sibling on the way and that could be it but I just don't know what else to do to stop the behavior. She's definitel old enough to know better so I'm at a loss.

Suggestions??
That is A LOT of attention for someone behaving so poorly.

I would eliminate the time-outs since they are not doing anything to curb her bad behavior. The way she sees it, she does something naughty (hits) and then gets to sit in a special chair and she gets a private conversation all to herself from you and then as soon as the spot light is no longer focused on her.....she hits again!

Eliminate the hitting by not allowing her to play within the group without you being right there with her. She needs to shadow you (as PP'er mentioned) and be allowed to be in the context of a group a little bit at a time until she learns to behave properly.

Make sure shadowing you is boring and NOT fun at all or she will use that as attention as well.
Tags:divide and conquer, protection, violence, violent, violent behaviour
Reply Up