Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Face Masks?
CountryRoads 07:02 AM 02-11-2020
Does anyone use them on your daycare kids?

I have a couple that just cannot cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze. I have illness going through like crazy right now and I was thinking this would help stop the spread of germs.

My only concern is that parents will think it's okay to send their sick child because of the masks.

Thoughts?
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 02-11-2020
IME, kids won't keep them on.

I'd use the "able to participate in all activities" card if it got too bad.
Snowmom 07:33 AM 02-11-2020
I am strict on my illness policy, so if a child has a frequent or producing cough, they stay home.
However, yes, I also use face masks for children who can not or will not cover their mouth with a common cold.
They take a little training to get used to but they do keep them on.
The best ones to buy are the Kimberly Clark ones (Amazon). They cost a little more AND are currently out of stock. But they stay on the best.
DaveA 07:54 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Does anyone use them on your daycare kids?

I have a couple that just cannot cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze. I have illness going through like crazy right now and I was thinking this would help stop the spread of germs.

My only concern is that parents will think it's okay to send their sick child because of the masks.

Thoughts?
That would be my main concern. I think I'd go the "too sick to participate" route if a child was to the point of needing a mask.
Unregistered 10:12 AM 02-11-2020
Make sure you put it in your policy. I was written up for that.
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:

Thoughts?
My concern would be not knowing when their nose needs wiping. My group is 2 and under.
Michael 11:20 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
The best ones to buy are the Kimberly Clark ones (Amazon). They cost a little more AND are currently out of stock. But they stay on the best.
They are sold out everywhere because of the Coronovirus fear. For those interested here is a useful resource: https://wuflu.live/
Tags:face masks, illness policy
Reply Up