Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Omg. You Want Me To Do What?!
NavyWife 02:11 PM 05-17-2011
So I'm in the process of getting certified, but I have been watching my friends' kids for a couple months. Anyway, one of the children the parents are working on potty training. This is the second time they have attempted to potty train the child who will be 3 in September. The first time, a couple months ago, they claimed she was using the potty great at home and said they would no longer be buying diapers and that they would send her in pull-ups. Fine with me...Until I try taking her potty and she FLIPS OUT. I mean, crying, screaming, stomping feet. I told them that I wouldn't force her to sit on the potty, I would ask her if she needs to go and try to lead her to the bathroom, but if she gets upset like that again I wouldn't make her sit there. Well, I don't think she was doing as great at home as they claim because a couple days later they brought me a bag of diapers
Fast forward to now-

Saturday the mom came over bc we had made plans to get dinner. She was talking about how she was going to send the child in a dress on Monday. I'm like.. ok? She says well she's been going potty at home but we let her run around completely naked so I'll just put a dress on her so it covers up the girly parts. I was so taken back I didn't even know how to respond. I told her to bring diapers on Monday and we'll see how things go.

Like, are you serious?! You want your daughter to run around my house with nothing covering her rear end??! Not only is that unsanitary, but there are other kids here! My four year old son doesn't need to see a little girl running around the house naked. The five year old boy that I watch doesn't need to see your daughter running around naked. Neither do any of the other kids!

Well Monday comes and they brought her in shorts and a tshirt. I try taking her potty and she starts to throw a fit and then she stops. She sits on the potty for about 15 minutes and then gets up. Nothing, not even a drop. So we put her diaper back on and continue trying every couple hours for the rest of the day. Each time she sits and then gets up 10-15 minutes later with nothing. Today we keep trying, nothing. Today she was dry until naptime but still wouldn't pee on the potty. So her dad comes to get her today and asks how she's doing with the potty. I tell him that she will sit on it numerous times a day for 10-15 minutes each time but she hasn't peed on it yet. So he says well, can you try harder? Umm, what more do you want me to do? I take her continually throughout the day, she sits for a little bit and gets up without peeing. He says well at home we let her be naked, can you do that?? Uhh.. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Well why not? Because it's unsanitary and there are four other children here. Well I guess just keep trying what you're doing.

Ugh. I know we're friends, but seriously, can you honestly tell me that you really thought I would do that?!
Michael 02:35 PM 05-17-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum NavyWife!
momma2girls 02:41 PM 05-17-2011
Tell her straight out, you can never allow any daycare child to do that at your daycare. Tell her if she isn't ready to potty train and tell you she has to go, she must still be in diapers or pullups , til she is fully potty trained(this means goes on her own, and accident free for quite some time).I would never ever allow my own children to do that, let alone a daycare child!!
nannyde 02:41 PM 05-17-2011
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm
youretooloud 02:52 PM 05-17-2011
I have no problem with the kids being naked. EXCEPT for underwear. Not because I don't want kids to see it, but because, I don't want them sitting on furniture naked.

I would allow no dress, but wear panties, or a very short dress WITH panties, or thick panties and plastic pants. But there will be NO bare bottoms on my chairs and toys.

We aren't shy or modest around here. Private parts aren't very private here.
sharlan 03:04 PM 05-17-2011
I am laughing so hard that I have tears in my eyes.

I like the "can you try harder bit". Can anyone tell me how to make a child pee on command? You can't force them to pee.

As for being nude, shirtless, fine, underwearless, no way in a daycare setting. I can already hear the call made to CPS.
Meeko 03:05 PM 05-17-2011
Here we are licensed through the Dept of Health (Utah). It is a regulation that all bodily fluids must be contained. Diapers, pull-ups or training pants with plastic pants over the top. No exceptions. They can do what they want at home.

And they thought it was OK that the girl had possible accidents on your carpet? Good grief!
MamaBear 04:09 PM 05-17-2011
That is a gross thing for your friend to request. I can just imagine all the butt cooties that would be spread all day when she sat in various places in the daycare lol.
PeanutsGalore 04:13 PM 05-17-2011
My parents told me they tied us to the potty to train us. Maybe you should suggest that and see how quickly they back off the "try harder" attitude?

ETA: though now I think about it, it might just give them a new "idea" to try, so forget it!
missnikki 05:30 PM 05-17-2011
This reminds me of the time my brother was watching my daughter, she was about 2 and training. He sheepishly told me she had him holding her hand while she tried to potty (he didn't know any better) and she led him around the bathroom naked, 'stamping' the floor. I lol'ed at 'stamping...
nannyde 06:27 PM 05-17-2011
One thing I have learned about potty training is to NOT get crazy when crazy comes knocking at your door. When it comes to this area of raising kids people come up with silly notions that are JUST for their bottom line which is either the child being advanced, normal, or money. None of those ideas save my carpet so I don't pay them any nevermind.

Just decide what YOU will do and be done with it. If you have to.. buy the diapers yourself. I would rather loose ten bucks a week and save my carpet then have a nekkid kid peeing on my floor or an upset parent.
MamaBear 06:40 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Just decide what YOU will do and be done with it. If you have to.. buy the diapers yourself. I would rather loose ten bucks a week and save my carpet then have a nekkid kid peeing on my floor or an upset parent.
Exactly
CdnMumof4 08:40 PM 05-17-2011
gross, absolutely not. Not the naked part being gross- but when a child isn't potty trained...you don't let them run around your house naked, they want her to learn to use the potty that way they save it for their own home!

I had a family like that [they recently just yanked their kid out] he started a month ago, he's 19 months and when they first spoke to me they tell me he's potty training. I was taken aback ....as they asked me to continue with potty training while he's here. Kid was here for his first day...he was NOT potty training. Could barely speak, toddled around with a soother in his mouth all day, and had no issue using a diaper. right- potty training...

good luck- that's a tough one especially when they're friends!
Christian Mother 08:43 PM 05-17-2011
Thank goodness I only have hard floors and tile. When I potty train I do it with out pants on. The first day I get maybe 2 accidents on the floor but after that it's in the potty and then by the 3rd day they feel comfortable using the potty. That first week there is no pants on but then by the second week I introduce undies no pull ups. I except that there will be some accidents that 2nd week but I am pretty consistent on trying every 45 min. Now this child is completely potty trained with out peeing at nap time or at bedtime. I train the way my mother trained me and I carried that on to my own children. It works every time for me.
Meeko 05:38 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Thank goodness I only have hard floors and tile. When I potty train I do it with out pants on. The first day I get maybe 2 accidents on the floor but after that it's in the potty and then by the 3rd day they feel comfortable using the potty. That first week there is no pants on but then by the second week I introduce undies no pull ups. I except that there will be some accidents that 2nd week but I am pretty consistent on trying every 45 min. Now this child is completely potty trained with out peeing at nap time or at bedtime. I train the way my mother trained me and I carried that on to my own children. It works every time for me.
I potty trained my oldest sons this way......but they were just with Mom and Dad. I would never do it with day care kids.

I can just see social services running over after hearing that "Johnny" told his paranoid mother all about seeing "Suzie's" nether regions........
harperluu 05:45 AM 05-18-2011
I even have it in my policy that diapers must be covered. If a diaper leaks it goes on their clothes rather than god knows where. Gross!
wdmmom 06:08 AM 05-18-2011
Parent's make me laugh sometimes! Are they gonna clean up that steaming pile of poo or puddle of pee?! Ummm, no. There's your sign!
Tags:potty training
Reply Up