Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Running A Daycare Is SO Easy
justgettingstarted 02:30 PM 01-11-2012
...as long as my own son isn't home! LOL! Wow he's being a little monster today. He cut his lip two days ago, its nearly healed but he still thinks everything is going to hurt it so he hasn't been eating or drinking hardly anything and he won't take his pacifier at nap and bedtime so sleeping has been very rough. Plus he just turned 2 so everything triggers a tantrum. I asked if he wanted to wear a certain pair of boots to go outside today and he said no, ouch! He's sitting in his crib crying, refusing to take a nap and keeping the other kids up as well. My mom finally had to come get him yesterday for a few hours so that I could care for my DCKs and it was so peaceful here. Sigh...
daycare 02:36 PM 01-11-2012
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
...as long as my own son isn't home! LOL! Wow he's being a little monster today. He cut his lip two days ago, its nearly healed but he still thinks everything is going to hurt it so he hasn't been eating or drinking hardly anything and he won't take his pacifier at nap and bedtime so sleeping has been very rough. Plus he just turned 2 so everything triggers a tantrum. I asked if he wanted to wear a certain pair of boots to go outside today and he said no, ouch! He's sitting in his crib crying, refusing to take a nap and keeping the other kids up as well. My mom finally had to come get him yesterday for a few hours so that I could care for my DCKs and it was so peaceful here. Sigh...
I have these days sometimes still with my son.

Try this.

Give him a space of his own the other DCK cannot go into. Give him his own toys that only he can play with in his own space. If he keeps them there, great. But if he takes the toys into the DC area, then he has to share.

Make special time with him during nap time. while the others are sleeping, spend an hour with him alone and read or sing, draw, play or anything he wants to do with you.

when my son was this age he did the same thing too. I realized that it was not really fair to my son that I chose to do DC in my home and took everything away from him. His mommy, his toys, his house, everything. Yes he still had it, but now he had to share it. It was not his choice to do daycare and I could not expect for him to follow daycare rules for the 12+13 hours that I operated..

Once I did this for him, he really started to take to the DC much better, listen much better and enjoy the kids much better. Now he is 4 and he is my sweet little helper most of the time. Sometimes, he just wants a break from the DCK and when I realize this, I make sure he gets it.

Hope this advice helps some
Ariana 04:16 PM 01-11-2012
I hear ya!! My own daughter is now 2.5 and although she's mellowed considerably from when she just turned 2 she's still the hardest to deal with at my daycare. They feel safe to test boundaries with us because we're their parents. I know my other 2 daycare kids are nightmares at home by some of the stories and things I've witnessed, but here they are perfect angels!!
cheerfuldom 09:00 AM 01-12-2012
my own 2 year old is the one that is the hardest here....even more than her 8 month old sibling!
Heidi 10:29 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
On the bright side, if you've been thinking about ditching the paci's, nows the time for them to dissapear mysteriously!

I hope you both get through this quickly, and things go more fun! Give him choices when you can (do you want your boots or your shoes?), pick your battles, and take a break when you need it! I'm glad you have your mama nearby to help...
Tags:provider - own child, provider children
Reply Up