Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default If You Have a Separate Handbook and Contract....

do you keep a copy of the handbook that parents signed or just have the contract saying they received the handbook???

I've been talking about going to separate documents for almost a year now and may just create them this weekend but my concern is right now I have a 5-6 page contract with my basic rules, no separate handbook. I make 2 copies, parents keep one, initial each page of the other, sign the bottom and its kept in their file. So, if there ever was an issue (really never has been) I can pull out the contract and see they initialed that page with the policy in question right on it.

I feel like if I'm giving them a separate handbook that they are just taking home I don't have that documentation anymore. Yes, I have my own copies but who's to say that's the same copy I gave them. They'd have to present me with their copy - I guess I just don't like that idea.

So, if you have 2 separate documents - a contract and a handbook how do you handle it???
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Nature Lover

They sign and give me back a copy of each and then I give them a copy of both of them for their records.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM

My handbook is now on my website (and a hard copy is in the parent area), and when they sign their contract, they acknowledge they have read the parent handbook dated ....... (whatever the last revision date was).

IF you would like to see my contract, pm me your email addy and I would be happy to email it.

You can see a copy of the handbook at www.kinderhausfamilychildcare.com
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

My contract is only about 2 pages long and deals only with time and money. I will give a copy to parents after they sign. My policies are about 10 pages long....It's a lot of pages but I make a copy of that as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have the contract as the last page of my handbook. The parents sign the contract and keep the handbook, which is updated annually at year end. I summarize the sticky points (fees, closings, illness policy, etc) on the contract to cover myself against claims of "I didn't notice that in your handbook". It's kind of hard to miss that when it's bullet-pointed!

This is exclusive of the admission form and permission statement.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
So, if you have 2 separate documents - a contract and a handbook how do you handle it???
I have the parents sign the contract which states they have read and agree to the polices outlined in the parent handbook. I also give them 1 copy to read and have them initial each page. Once they return that copy, I put it in in my records. Then I give them a copy to keep for their own records.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I have the parents sign the contract which states they have read and agree to the polices outlined in the parent handbook. I also give them 1 copy to read and have them initial each page. Once they return that copy, I put it in in my records. Then I give them a copy to keep for their own records.
^ ya that
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
ok, that's pretty much how I handle my "all in one" contract/handbook - wasn't sure if it seemed weird to do that for a separate handbook, LOL! Glad to hear others do it that way!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 AM

I have them sign and initial each page of the handbook and return it to me with their contract which also states that they have read and agree to follow the policies in the handbook. I give the a signed copy of the contract and a blank handbook for their records.

I've seen a couple of providers lose court cases because the contract wasn't initialed on each page so there was no way to prove that it was the same copy the parents had received. One DCP lost to a woman who had done this twice before....didn't pay her bill, went to court and won because she claimed she was never given a complete handbook.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Play-at-Home Mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
...or just have the contract saying they received the handbook??
This one. My handbook is about 8 pages long, and then at the end is a page that is attached that says, "I have read this Parent Handbook and by signing below, do agree to its terms. I also agree that I have fully read the accompanying forms and signed them accordingly." (or something like that...MS Word takes too long to load on my computer so I didn't open it, LOL)

Then I have spaces for each parent to sign and date, and a space for "provider" to sign and date. I keep a copy of that last page and they take a copy, as well as the entire handbook.

I also have other papers for them to sign not exactly related to the contract but are important for them to sign, like Authorization to pick up, Emergency Contact info, etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Would anyone be willing to share their handbook with me? I can provide my e-mail if you are.

Tags
contract, handbook