Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Off To Go On Field Trip
proudmommyofthree 03:25 PM 04-30-2012
Have any of you ever closed on a day to go on a field trip with your own child?

My 10 yr daughter will be taking a field trip on May 15th and I would like to go with her. But I'm not sure if it's ok to close that day. Her field trip is an all day trip returning after school hours.

I have only closed once and that was for my oldest daughter's 8th grade graduation.

So what do you guys think, is it wrong to close for the day?

Thanks

By the way my contract does state that I may take 10 unpaid vacation days per year and 5 personal days (also unpaid) per year.

TIA
Country Kids 04:58 PM 04-30-2012
I have in the past either had a sub come in or just take the day off. Your children deserve you at times also. School functions are very important! Give them notice tomorrow that you will be closing for that day and feel non quilty about it!

Don't let the childcare come before your own.
littlemissmuffet 05:06 PM 04-30-2012
Why UNpaid?

I have 2 weeks paid vacation, all stats off with pay and 5 personal/sick days paid each year. I recommend changing to PAID days off.

If financially you can afford to close for the day, I say go for it!! Give notice tomorrow - 15 days is plenty of time to make alternate care arrangments for one day.
saved4always 05:49 PM 04-30-2012
I have taken off in the past to go on a field trip. I had my friend available as back up if the parents needed it and I took it unpaid. I never charged for any time I did not have the dcks (but that is another thread ). I have also closed early because I was head room mom for my daughter's class 3 or 4 years in a row and I wanted to go to the 3 room parties each year. I gave plenty of notice and, as I said, offered my friend as back up care. My take on it is that I quit my ft job when my daughter was born so I could do all the things I did not get to do with my older boys cuz I was working (breast feeding, being a room mom, going on fieldtrips, etc.). I was always honest from the beginning with my parents so they knew that these "mommy" things would come up. So they were okay with it and were prepared.
DCMom 05:54 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have in the past either had a sub come in or just take the day off. Your children deserve you at times also. School functions are very important! Give them notice tomorrow that you will be closing for that day and feel non quilty about it!

Don't let the childcare come before your own.
What she said. It means a lot to the kids. I was only chosen as a parent chaperone a couple of times (there was always many volunteers), but I always found a way to do it.

Don't feel guilty!
bice99 11:48 PM 04-30-2012
I have 5 paid days in addition to all stat holidays. I always go on my girls' field trips. I tell their teachers I need as much advance notice as possible, so I often find out about them before the rest of the class does. This Thursday, I'm closing at 12:30 to head to the ZooSnooze with my 4th grader. We'll get home by 2 PM on Friday, so I'm closed that day as well. Parents just have to deal with it. My girls are growing up way faster than I ever imagined they would and I want to be there for everything I can.
DaisyMamma 04:49 AM 05-01-2012
If I need the day off and I'm not in need of using my home I have my sub come.
Countrygal 05:29 AM 05-01-2012
I don't have a sub, so have to very carefully consider taking days off. You mention you have only taken one day off, but not in how long of a period of time.

I try to save my days off for sickness. But if you have not taken any days off for quite some time, then I see nothing wrong with doing it as long as you give plenty of notice. We all need a break sometimes.

I will have only been in operation a year and am taking a week's paid vaca in Sept. It gives me something to look forward to!

Enjoy the day!
proudmommyofthree 06:59 AM 05-01-2012
Thank you everyone for your responses!!

I will be taking the days off. My kids come first which is one of the reason why I chose to do daycare in the first place.

I have been doing daycare for 3 years and only closed the one time for my oldest child.

The reasons why I do not have parents pay for my vacations or my time off is because then they would also have to pay for back up care so I didn't see it as fair. But thats just me.

Anyways thanks again
Tags:field trip
Reply Up