Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Schedules? What Do You Do?
Sprouts 03:48 PM 07-17-2012
My previous part time rates were $150 for 29 hours or less ( I live in NY, close to NYC thats why rates are so high) But I recently changed it to $190 for 25 hours or less. But now the parent i have has her daughter here:

Mon 9-5
tues 9-5
wed 9-1
thurs 9-6

equaling 29 hours, i feel like it is a full time spot!

I don;t want to loose this family either, i have kept her at her rate because contract stated changes will occur in the new year...(which i will just erase and change to rates can change whenever...well better wording then this, i am just typing quickly...)

Do some of u have a strict part time schedule or limit the amount of days/ hours for part time schedules?
Bella99 04:54 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
My previous part time rates were $150 for 29 hours or less ( I live in NY, close to NYC thats why rates are so high) But I recently changed it to $190 for 25 hours or less. But now the parent i have has her daughter here:

Mon 9-5
tues 9-5
wed 9-1
thurs 9-6

equaling 29 hours, i feel like it is a full time spot!

I don;t want to loose this family either, i have kept her at her rate because contract stated changes will occur in the new year...(which i will just erase and change to rates can change whenever...well better wording then this, i am just typing quickly...)

Do some of u have a strict part time schedule or limit the amount of days/ hours for part time schedules?
When did your new price come in to play? If she signed a contract, or started a year at THAT price, for THAT many hours, then I think it's a 2-way contract, and you should honor it until the new year
daycarediva 05:31 PM 07-17-2012
Tricky! I would reword my contract so that it said 29 hours or less over the course of 3 days. (or whatever you could live with) The way it seems to me, you would never be able to fill another part time spot around that kid because he/she is there four days.
Sprouts 05:41 PM 07-17-2012
Bella I agree, I just wanted to kknow how others arrange their part timers. 4 days is too much...so maybe I'll do 27 hours over 3 days...9 hours a day is the limit....and maybe a 18 hours 2 day? Ugh....
momma2girls 05:27 AM 07-18-2012
My normal weekly rate is $140.00 per week. My partime rate has been $30.00 per day, but I am really thinking of going up to $35.00 per day. I do have a min. of 3 set days now. There are so many around my area that just want parttime!! I received 4 partime calls or emails yesterday alone. I quit doing parttime about 3 yrs. ago. To me, they wre taking a spot, no matter how many hrs. they needed. Then the thing you have to go thru on partime, they will not pay for Holidays(unless it falls on their days) I actually have had a couple different families, want to switch their days around when it came to Holidays, so they wouldn't have to pay for them!! They will not pay for vac. etc... so be prepared for all this as well with parttimers.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 07-18-2012
Part time for me is 1-2 days per week. Full time is 3, 4 and 5 days a week.

I dont do hours per week because it is too easy then for a parent to use every single day for only 4-5 hours and then expect part time rates for a daily kid....kwim?

My rates vary for 3, 4 or 5 day use but they are all considered full time.
SunflowerMama 07:11 AM 07-18-2012
My part-time rate is $45/day (regardless of the # of hours). Part-time is considered 2 or 3 days/week.

Full-time rate is a set weekly rate and for 4 or 5 days/week.

I don't do hourly rates.
Kiki 07:20 AM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Part time for me is 1-2 days per week. Full time is 3, 4 and 5 days a week.

I dont do hours per week because it is too easy then for a parent to use every single day for only 4-5 hours and then expect part time rates for a daily kid....kwim?

My rates vary for 3, 4 or 5 day use but they are all considered full time.
Same here. Charging hourly would be a huge headache for me, it's easier to just do it by days. Not only that, but like Blackcat said, if you do hourly, parents will use it every day they can.
Crazy8 10:15 AM 07-18-2012
My rates are based on number of days per week, not number of hours per week. I have rates for 2, 3, 4 or 5 days a week. My thought being I might be able to fill the other days, I definitely can't fill the other "hours". Some don't like taking part timers - I do, I like the break where I don't have all the kids each and every day!
Sprouts 10:30 AM 07-18-2012
here is my current rate schedule....If its not part time then I go by pick up time, the earlier the better!

INFANTS/TODDLERS/PRE-SCHOOL PRICING

PART TIME (< 25 hours)$190.00 per week

Pick up- $ per week
1:30 $200.00
2:00 $212.50
2:30 $225.00
3:00 $237.50
3:30 $250.00
4:00 $262.50
4:30 $275.00
5:00 $287.50
5:30 $300.00
6:00 $312.50

Heidi 10:31 AM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
My rates are based on number of days per week, not number of hours per week. I have rates for 2, 3, 4 or 5 days a week. My thought being I might be able to fill the other days, I definitely can't fill the other "hours". Some don't like taking part timers - I do, I like the break where I don't have all the kids each and every day!
I do the same thing. I charge more per day for less than 5 days. So, if my rate is $110 per week, I charge $25 per day...contracted for however many days. They pay holidays and absent days for whatever they are scheduled days are. I have a limit of 9.5 hours per day per child (although I am licensed longer...if they need more, the rate goes up).

The reason I do this because I really would rather take $75 and have a child here 3 days or $100 for 4, than have someone pay the fulltime rate and then drop their child off 5 days per week to do whatever. It's a small incentive to keep their child home if their off. Besides, I like having days where I have a smaller group.

Drop in care is $3.50 per hour, and only if I have it available.

These are my +2 rates, and as you see, our area is not exactly a high rate area!
Sprouts 10:32 AM 07-18-2012
Do u have a limit to the number of hours per day? Like if they came for 3 days for 4 hours or for a family that wanted 3 days for 10 hours?
Heidi 10:41 AM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
here is my current rate schedule....If its not part time then I go by pick up time, the earlier the better!

INFANTS/TODDLERS/PRE-SCHOOL PRICING

PART TIME (< 25 hours)$190.00 per week

Pick up- $ per week
1:30 $200.00
2:00 $212.50
2:30 $225.00
3:00 $237.50
3:30 $250.00
4:00 $262.50
4:30 $275.00
5:00 $287.50
5:30 $300.00
6:00 $312.50
So, if you take each rate you have, based on their attendance, I pro-rated each day seperately and then added them up. With that, I get $215.50 for the 4 days. That's how I would do it at next contract renewal...You could also take your highest weekly rate, $312.50, and divide it by 5, x4, equals $250.

Just a couple of options...
Sprouts 11:01 AM 07-18-2012
hmm what are your views on chagning my agreement (not price) to make her choose 3 days to use the part time rate? I def dont want to loose her but maybe i can explain to her nicely somehow that i need her to pick the 3 days because of spots? or something? I def dont want to loose her either, but i should have caught this earlier.....

in our contract it states

__Tuition rates are established for the new program year in December and go into effect on January 1st of the new program year.
Happy Hearts 02:23 PM 07-18-2012
I charge $200 a week up to 40 hours. Anything over 40 hours is $6 an hour.

I don't want to charge by the hour because I don't want the stat holiday pay controversy. And, I don't want to lose out if their grandma comes to visit and the kid doesn't come for a few days.

Also, I know exactly how much I'll be making every week. And, I won't have to worry about whether I'll be over in my numbers trying to juggle part timers and drop ins.
Country Kids 02:59 PM 07-18-2012
I just charge hourly but take no less then three full days a week. I make more then most of the people in my area by charging hourly. I do charge if they aren't here due to illness, vacation (including when grandma comes), parents decide to take a day off, etc. Its amazing how fast hourly rates add up!

I do not charge if I take a day off, including holidays.
itlw8 03:10 PM 07-18-2012
p/t is 3 set days. the rate is higher so 4 days at the p/t rate equals the f/t rate. If they want 4 days they might as well be f/t even if they do not come one day. and they have the option with notice of coming that day.
DaisyMamma 06:17 PM 07-18-2012
I do part timers by day, not how many hours they use.
Example my full time rate for an infant is $200 for 5 days. Part time I charge $50/day. So there is no difference if they come 4 or 5 days. Age 2 and up I charge $175/week or $40/day, although I should really change it to $43, but it's such a weird number.
I have allowed children over age 2 to come for half a day and charge $25/day, but it was a consistent M-F, 1-5:30 schedule, allowing me the availability to find another part time, morning child.

It is SO UNLIKELY that you will ever find someone else to come at 1:00 on Wednesday!
You need to honor her pricing until the year is up and in the meantime give her notice a couple of times that pricing will be changing.
harperluu 08:44 PM 07-18-2012
Mine is similar to this. I charge a daily rate of $45/day. A weekly rate of $170/week. Or a half day rate of $25 for 1-4 hours. My contract says whichever is less. But they must contract for days.

If they interview and request 4 days a week (M-R) Then their rate is $180. I know that seems odd, but the additional amount covers time they won't be paying for holidays/vacations. And no one really complains, because I'm not haggling so they get the best rate. They are quoted based on their needs.
Countrygal 04:29 AM 07-20-2012
Heidi, after this thread I REALLY think we need to move!!!
Neekie 06:29 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Heidi, after this thread I REALLY think we need to move!!!
I agree!
momma2girls 06:37 AM 07-20-2012
My contract states, I will provide care for parttimers, but 3 scheduled days each week. They must be the same scheduled days each week. I have actually haven't done partime for quite awhile. I receive calls and emails everyday on parttime. The families are having a heck of a time finding someone that does parttime care. If it is not scheduled days set up each week, then they need fulltime care.
Tags:part time, schedule, schedule - part time
Reply Up