Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Don’t Know What To Do!
logged out for privacy 04:07 PM 03-06-2014
I have a current client who has been with us for almost a year. They lost their job a few months back but has been bringing her child anyway to hold her spot while looking for a new job. She has told me that if the childs dad stops paying his child support that she would have to stop bringing them since she wouldnt be able to afford it anymore. She suspects he will soon. We have had a pretty good business relationship from the start aside from the few behavioral issues of the child.

On the other hand, I have a long time client (all her kids have come to me in the last 7 years and the two are still here) just had a baby is on maternity leave and has to return to work mid April needing a full time spot.

Im in the process of expanding my daycare, so I would have more openings soon. Im not sure exactly when it will be. It was supposed to be in January, but its taking longer than expected.

My question is.... Do I tell the first parent that if Im not expanded by the time the second client needs to go back to work that I will have to give a two week notice to term, since I already know they will be leaving me anyways? OR do I just wait it out and, if two weeks before the second mom has to go back to work I havent gotten my extended license yet, I give a two week notice?

I REALLY like this family and dont want to see them go in the first place. Any issue we have had, I talked to her about, and we came to an agreement and things got better. At the same time, I have this client that has been with me since opening that I need to be able to accommodate! What would you do??
Reply
logged out for privacy 04:11 PM 03-06-2014
This parent also has a lot of health issues (so does the child) and has straight up told me she doesnt want to work because of her health.
Reply
spud912 04:27 PM 03-06-2014
Are you ok with taking a newborn? Do both sets of parents pay on time? Do they follow the policies?

If both sets of parents were both good about following policies and I was ok with taking a baby, I would wait it out and then give a notice if she had not terminated the contract already. I would try to be as accommodating as possible and let her know that once you expand she would be first to get a spot.
Reply
TwinKristi 06:05 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Are you ok with taking a newborn? Do both sets of parents pay on time? Do they follow the policies?

If both sets of parents were both good about following policies and I was ok with taking a baby, I would wait it out and then give a notice if she had not terminated the contract already. I would try to be as accommodating as possible and let her know that once you expand she would be first to get a spot.
Yeah if it's inevitable that they're going to leave I would just wait it out and take the baby. They're a long term family and you're pretty much guaranteed a few years with you, ya know? I don't know how old the current DCK is but if they've been there a year I would guess 2+ which means they'll be going to preschool eventually anyway.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:09 PM 03-06-2014
If family number one is still paying for the space, it wouldn't be right to term them just because you have someone to fill the space.

I think she was nice/polite to give you a head's up about her financial situation but was she telling you just to be polite or because she was saying she may have stop coming/paying with NO notice?

If she was simply being polite I think you have an obligation to continue providing services to her until she stops paying or withdraws from care with written notice.

Would you charge her still if she did suddenly stop paying/coming and didn't provide notice of termination?

I think that the mom with the newborn should have to wait. The newborn hasn't even attended yet.

I'm just thinking about how this would all play out if the first family hadn't lost their job and wasn't in the financial position they are...kwim?
Reply
Unregistered 06:20 PM 03-06-2014
But the reason I really dont know what to do is because the family with the new baby have been with me for seven years! The family that I know is going to leave eventually anyways has told me she really doesnt have intention to find a new job at the moment and the child is three already, so chances of her coming back are slim, I think. Besides the relationship I have with the mother of the three year old being good, the child is my most disruptive child in the group. I just dont want to end on bad terms because she has been a good client. She agreed to give me a two weeks notice though.
Reply
TwinKristi 07:10 PM 03-06-2014
^^ I'm surprised at your response!

I look at it long term, a baby from a long standing family who will most likely stay for a long time sounds more appealing than a child who's parents have made it known that they don't even want to work and if she stops getting child support and that will probably happen soon, that they won't be able to come.

Why does mom even bring the child now if she doesn't plan on working? Just because she doesn't want to lose the spot if she does get a job? If mom is home not working why not take this time to spend with your child? This happened to me actually. I lost DC funding when my twins turned 3 and aged out of a program and I quit my job to stay home with them because I couldn't afford DC. Why not save the money and spend time with your kid? If you have space when she returns so be it, but otherwise you have someone willing to fill the spot. I don't think any provider owes someone the spot, like how a FT spot trumps a PT spot. A long time family trumps someone who's not even working and says she's probably going to have to stop coming anyway.
Reply
Original poster 08:14 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by logged out for privacy:

My question is.... Do I tell the first parent that if Im not expanded by the time the second client needs to go back to work that I will have to give a two week notice to term, since I already know they will be leaving me anyways? OR do I just wait it out and, if two weeks before the second mom has to go back to work I havent gotten my extended license yet, I give a two week notice?

What would you do??
Okay, Im the OP and this is the actual Question. ^ I guess what Im asking is, do I give her the courtesy of knowing that if Im not expanded by then, I will be ending the contract since she doesnt need me and my long term family does? OR do I wait it out until two weeks before to see if my license gets expanded? I feel like she was honest with me, so I should be with her. At the same time, I dont want her to take it the wrong way because if I have the space, and she is willing to stay, I would keep her...if that makes sense.
Reply
TwinKristi 09:50 PM 03-06-2014
I would wait it out and see but term with whatever notice you specify in your contract to terminate if that's what you have to do. Mine can be cancelled at any time so really any notice would be better than none so you'd be giving her time to find someone IF she needs to or if she's even still there. If you know in the next 3wks if you'll expand or not than tell her as soon as you know but give her the last date of care you can provide, again, whatever your contract states. But she could just stop coming right away once termed so more than 2wks is a risk for income in those weeks. Is mom paying for holding the spot for the baby?
Reply
Play Care 04:41 AM 03-07-2014
I would NOT tell her about your license, etc. because it sounds as if you want to let the family go in favor of the infant. And while I see where you are coming from there, I don't think the mom of the 3 yo will.

That said, it does sound as if you do have other issues with the family (child being disruptive, etc) and if you were to term I would be more inclined to tell mom that although you love the child, you can't meet the child's needs. I wouldn't make it anything about your license, the baby, etc.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
^^ I'm surprised at your response!

I look at it long term, a baby from a long standing family who will most likely stay for a long time sounds more appealing than a child who's parents have made it known that they don't even want to work and if she stops getting child support and that will probably happen soon, that they won't be able to come.

Why does mom even bring the child now if she doesn't plan on working? Just because she doesn't want to lose the spot if she does get a job? If mom is home not working why not take this time to spend with your child? This happened to me actually. I lost DC funding when my twins turned 3 and aged out of a program and I quit my job to stay home with them because I couldn't afford DC. Why not save the money and spend time with your kid? If you have space when she returns so be it, but otherwise you have someone willing to fill the spot. I don't think any provider owes someone the spot, like how a FT spot trumps a PT spot. A long time family trumps someone who's not even working and says she's probably going to have to stop coming anyway.

In this case though, the provider isn't saving anyone a space....the family that MAY potentially leave is still using AND PAYING for the space.

Just because they MIGHT leave doesn't mean the OP is saving space for anyone.

Why would any one kick out a paying client to take another one, just because someone MIGHT leave?

ANYTHING could happen any time causing ANY family to have to leave care unexpectedly so just because the OP is aware of the financial situation the current family is in, doesn't mean she HAS to act on that.

I agree with loyalty for long term families but I also respect honesty and the family that told her about the possibility of leaving deserves the same respect in return.

The baby from the long term family hasn't even started yet so in my book that child would NOT be considered a client yet.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
That said, it does sound as if you do have other issues with the family (child being disruptive, etc) and if you were to term I would be more inclined to tell mom that although you love the child, you can't meet the child's needs. I wouldn't make it anything about your license, the baby, etc.
I agree....re-reading the OP's situation makes me think that ^^^^ might be the real issue.

I don't think it has anything to do with space, long term clients or expanding....it seems the OP wants to term the family she has issues with.

If that is the case, then do so but do it based on that reasoning and not the licensing/expanding issue.
Reply
Original poster 08:45 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree....re-reading the OP's situation makes me think that ^^^^ might be the real issue.

I don't think it has anything to do with space, long term clients or expanding....it seems the OP wants to term the family she has issues with.

If that is the case, then do so but do it based on that reasoning and not the licensing/expanding issue.
No the issue is most definitely that I expected to be expanded by now and am not. Yes, my days would be easier without this particular child, but Ive been shaping her behavior for almost a year and it hasnt been easy. If I had space for both, I would keep her. It just seems to be the most reasonable option since she isnt working and really doesnt need daycare, while all my other clients do.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Original poster:
No the issue is most definitely that I expected to be expanded by now and am not. Yes, my days would be easier without this particular child, but Ive been shaping her behavior for almost a year and it hasnt been easy. If I had space for both, I would keep her. It just seems to be the most reasonable option since she isnt working and really doesnt need daycare, while all my other clients do.
How come she isn't staying home now then?

I get that she doesn't want to work but that doesn't mean she doesn't HAVE to...kwim?

I don't really want to work either but that doesn't mean I will be closing up shop tomorrow.

I totally understand the situation you are in and I definitely feel for you....

Is there any way you can find out WHEN your expansion will be approved?

As a business owner, I just can't justify telling a CURRENT family that DOES pay that they have to go because they said they "might".

Like I said, there is never any guarantee that any family will stay long term.

Bottom line is that only YOU know what is best for YOU and your business.

There will be no right or wrong choice....just whatever works best for you.
Reply
Tags:ethics, filling enrollment
Reply Up