Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Suspicious!
Unregistered 05:27 PM 10-08-2013
One of my daycare kids hasn't been feeling the greatest the past 2 days. Just a little cough and runny nose, no big deal! After nap time today she woke up and she had almost no voice and sounded horrible. I called mom and she came and picked her up right away to go to the doctor. She just texted me a few hours ago and said: it's an infection, no meds can be given to her. She will just have to ride it out. I asked her what kind of infection? Her response was an infection and the other kids will be fine, it won't spread to them. I have a huge feeling she isn't telling me what's really going on. Has anyone heard of an infection that makes your voice extremely hoarse? The only thing I know of is croup and laryngitis. Both are viruses.
Crazy8 05:29 PM 10-08-2013
can you require a dr note for dcg to come back??
Sunshine75 05:38 PM 10-08-2013
Ohhh....I had that a few weeks ago and one of my dcm's got it from me. If she has what I had it is bad. I would ask if they did a strep test and that it has to show as negative. Has she been running a temp? Watch for that. I got a temp. of 104. I actually almost had to be admitted to the hospital due to a super high white blood cell count and it WAS NOT strep. It was however a VIRUS that was contagious, obviously since my other dcm got it. All you can really do I guess is watch. I think most times if viral it will also be in conjunction with a temp but I'm not a nurse. Anyways, that is what's going around the state of MN.
Cradle2crayons 05:45 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One of my daycare kids hasn't been feeling the greatest the past 2 days. Just a little cough and runny nose, no big deal! After nap time today she woke up and she had almost no voice and sounded horrible. I called mom and she came and picked her up right away to go to the doctor. She just texted me a few hours ago and said: it's an infection, no meds can be given to her. She will just have to ride it out. I asked her what kind of infection? Her response was an infection and the other kids will be fine, it won't spread to them. I have a huge feeling she isn't telling me what's really going on. Has anyone heard of an infection that makes your voice extremely hoarse? The only thing I know of is croup and laryngitis. Both are viruses.
I'd recommend following your illness policy. It doesn't matter if a virus or bacteria is causing it, if they meet exclusion, send them home.

If you require a doctors note, then follow through with it.
Sunshine75 05:51 PM 10-08-2013
Yes, follow your policy. With my policy they have to have a temperature and I will accept someone who simply has a sore throat from a cold as you said she has had a runny nose, etc. Whatever your policy states that is your ground to stand on when it comes to how you handle this situation.
Cradle2crayons 07:14 PM 10-08-2013
And if you need help putting one together, let us know... We will help!!
SilverSabre25 07:22 PM 10-08-2013
Just to point something out...croup and laryngitis are not caused by specific viruses. They are both more a side effect of a regular cold, aka rhinovirus. The COLD is contagious, but will not usually result in croup and/or laryngitis for everyone, or even anyone else. Most likely, while the cold may spread, no one else would get croup or laryngitis. Some people are more prone to those, of course, and there are some studies that suggest a connection between recurrent croup as a child and laryngitis as an adult.
Unregistered 08:01 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Just to point something out...croup and laryngitis are not caused by specific viruses. They are both more a side effect of a regular cold, aka rhinovirus. The COLD is contagious, but will not usually result in croup and/or laryngitis for everyone, or even anyone else. Most likely, while the cold may spread, no one else would get croup or laryngitis. Some people are more prone to those, of course, and there are some studies that suggest a connection between recurrent croup as a child and laryngitis as an adult.
Wow! Great info to have! I thought they were caused by the same virus. Thank you!
Unregistered 08:05 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I'd recommend following your illness policy. It doesn't matter if a virus or bacteria is causing it, if they meet exclusion, send them home.

If you require a doctors note, then follow through with it.
My illness policy is pretty good, I would say somewhere in the middle compared to everyone else here. I'm not worried about her coming back and getting the other children sick since the other children have already been exposed. I am more concerned about her responses. She came off defensive and like she was hiding something. Which of course always turns on my worrying. Well if she doesn't want to tell me what could it be, is she lying to me about other things...
harperluu 06:26 AM 10-09-2013
My dd just had this exact thing. She ran a mild temp around 99 and had a mild clear runny nose. But all of a sudden she was hoarse. It did develop into a cough a few days later. Just throwing in my two cents.
slorey 10:47 AM 10-09-2013
I am wondering if the doctor told her she had an upper respiratory infection, which is pretty much fancy terminology for a cold I think. In that case, there would be no meds and she would have to just ride it out, unless she later develops a secondary infection like an ear or sinus infection.
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up