Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emergency Supply List
Country Kids 08:42 AM 07-17-2018
Took the emergency procedure class and now starting to put together the supply lists, procedures, etc. By the end of this they said our binders will likely be 5 inches big so buy a huge binder.

We need a supplies incase of having to in place shelter for 3 days, leave immediately, be able to in place for 3 days with windows, doors, air vents, etc covered, lock down/lock in, you name it we need supplies for it.

I do know I will need to find a place to store 30 gallans of water somewhere in my house (not the garage), find an area to store food, a tub for supplies to cover windows, doors, vents and a tub for in place shelter.

Also going to figure out a composting toilet in case we are unable to use the toilets.

So what supplies do you have, where do you store it and how do you store certain supplies in your daycare area? Looking for ideas in case I miss something
hwichlaz 08:59 AM 07-17-2018
Not a composting toilet. A chemical toilet. Or....a bucket lined with trash bags with a seat. Composting toilets need a lot of care.

Sheet plastic
Duct tape
Scissors

Under bed storage containers are great for food and water. Get a case of self heating MREs. Each MRE is 2000 calories and will feed several kids. I’d have one per day per child since each one would easily feed 4 kids a meal. Ready to feed infant formula or the individual tubes of powder. Make sure first aid kit is well stocked. A pack of diapers in each of 3 sizes....3,5, 7 or 2,4, 6Kids can wear larger but not smaller.
Annalee 09:47 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Took the emergency procedure class and now starting to put together the supply lists, procedures, etc. By the end of this they said our binders will likely be 5 inches big so buy a huge binder.

We need a supplies incase of having to in place shelter for 3 days, leave immediately, be able to in place for 3 days with windows, doors, air vents, etc covered, lock down/lock in, you name it we need supplies for it.

I do know I will need to find a place to store 30 gallans of water somewhere in my house (not the garage), find an area to store food, a tub for supplies to cover windows, doors, vents and a tub for in place shelter.

Also going to figure out a composting toilet in case we are unable to use the toilets.

So what supplies do you have, where do you store it and how do you store certain supplies in your daycare area? Looking for ideas in case I miss something
I have a tote with blankets, bottled water, canned food, small first aid kit, flashlight, etc. There are totes with wheels I wish I had gotten but haven't yet!
Blackcat31 09:49 AM 07-17-2018

We are required to have an Emergency Preparedness Plan in place as well but we aren't required to have such an extensive one. Just reading through the manual for EP for your state was exhausting....
Annalee 09:53 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are required to have an Emergency Preparedness Plan in place as well but we aren't required to have such an extensive one. Just reading through the manual for EP for your state was exhausting....
Same here, and we have to have the local emergency management director come out and sign off on it!
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Same here, and we have to have the local emergency management director come out and sign off on it!
I'd check their website. My bet is they have sample templates available already.

I keep empty 5 gallon buckets to fill from the river in my yard for flushing. Don't need power to flush, just water. Any water will work. I generally fill bathtubs for that when I think there may be a short term power outage.
Annalee 10:19 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd check their website. My bet is they have sample templates available already.

I keep empty 5 gallon buckets to fill from the river in my yard for flushing. Don't need power to flush, just water. Any water will work. I generally fill bathtubs for that when I think there may be a short term power outage.
This tote with supplies is for when we are forced to leave the premises (chemical spill, flooding, etc.) We have to provide an address at least 3 miles away and give the info to parents so they know where to find the kids.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 07-17-2018
This tote with supplies is for when we are forced to leave the premises (chemical spill, flooding, etc.) We have to provide an address at least 3 miles away and give the info to parents so they know where to find the kids.
I use the local fire dept and keep my supplies in my truck.
Annalee 10:29 AM 07-17-2018
I use the local fire dept and keep my supplies in my truck.

Country Kids 10:37 AM 07-17-2018
That isn't even for childcare as it hasn't been released yet so imagine what our lusts will look like-Sept is when we have to have everything ready to go. We are just now putting together the lists for childcare.

Sadly with new state requirements and now this many providers are rethinking about staying in the field.

Parents even have to now be involved in our drills, along with neighbors and businesses.
Country Kids 10:43 AM 07-17-2018
Our own county has no emergency preparedness plan that we can even pull from. We may have to have a committee of providers to work with them to help plan for emergencies.
Cat Herder 10:59 AM 07-17-2018
Our own county has no emergency preparedness plan that we can even pull from. We may have to have a committee of providers to work with them to help plan for emergencies.
These should help. https://emilms.fema.gov/is36/assets/EAP_Sample.pdf
https://www.fema.gov/pdf/about/divis...CPG_101_V2.pdf

And this course is awesome.

https://training.fema.gov/is/courseo...spx?code=IS-36
Tin Blues 11:38 AM 07-17-2018
What state are you in?
Country Kids 11:44 AM 07-17-2018
Thank you!!!

I will check it out a bit more during rest time.

We have to have a plan for each type of emergency that has a med - high possibility in our area.

This weekend we worked on templates that will be downloaded and when the whole project is done we can go in, download and tweak for our childcare.

If something though is not on the list we have do come up with the plan ourselves. Now that i have helped to put one together at least I have an idea where the ones that weren't at the class won't have any idea of what to do.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 07-17-2018
That isn't even for childcare as it hasn't been released yet so imagine what our lusts will look like-Sept is when we have to have everything ready to go. We are just now putting together the lists for childcare.

Sadly with new state requirements and now this many providers are rethinking about staying in the field.

Parents even have to now be involved in our drills, along with neighbors and businesses.
https://oregonearlylearning.com/wp-c...ant-Manual.pdf

It says Child Care Providers....reading through it, they address both family child cares and centers.

I am assuming your regulations are just being updated (from 2012) but this book was the first thing that popped up when I searched for your state and emergency preparedness plans for FCC...
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 07-17-2018
Sample plans start on page 61
LysesKids 11:58 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Not a composting toilet. A chemical toilet. Or....a bucket lined with trash bags with a seat. Composting toilets need a lot of care.

Sheet plastic
Duct tape
Scissors

Under bed storage containers are great for food and water. Get a case of self heating MREs. Each MRE is 2000 calories and will feed several kids. I’d have one per day per child since each one would easily feed 4 kids a meal. Ready to feed infant formula or the individual tubes of powder. Make sure first aid kit is well stocked. A pack of diapers in each of 3 sizes....3,5, 7 or 2,4, 6Kids can wear larger but not smaller.
Along with tubes of formula powder, I have 18 self heating MRE's in my stock along with many small pouches of freeze dried fruit & veg. I can make soups/sides with the veg & use the fruit as they are for snacks without rehydrating.
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 07-17-2018
I found that the best tasting brand of easy prepared/stored emergency food is Mountain House, so far. The kids will actually eat it.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/classi...lp_product_1_1

Hands down kid favorite for ice storm power outages (over two weeks last year, here): https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mh-bre...lp_product_1_2
Country Kids 12:34 PM 07-17-2018
https://oregonearlylearning.com/wp-c...ant-Manual.pdf

It says Child Care Providers....reading through it, they address both family child cares and centers.

I am assuming your regulations are just being updated (from 2012) but this book was the first thing that popped up when I searched for your state and emergency preparedness plans for FCC...
Yes, it is just now becoming mandatory for us to have these plans. They probably had it on there for who knows what as it's actually documents for Louisiana childcares and centers.

I will look it over though and see what I can find till ours becomes official.

Thank you!!!
LysesKids 12:45 PM 07-17-2018
I found that the best tasting brand of easy prepared/stored emergency food is Mountain House, so far. The kids will actually eat it.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/classi...lp_product_1_1

Hands down kid favorite for ice storm power outages (over two weeks last year, here): https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mh-bre...lp_product_1_2
Oh, I have a few MT House too lol... I found a set on Amazon as a trial when I was checking out freeze dried camp food... it's how I came across this sampler. Tastes good when rehydrated as I tried a few of the pouches and I have a set of fruit & veg from another supplier. The fact it came in an easy open bucket didn't hurt lol
Blackcat31 01:34 PM 07-17-2018
Yes, it is just now becoming mandatory for us to have these plans. They probably had it on there for who knows what as it's actually documents for Louisiana childcares and centers.

I will look it over though and see what I can find till ours becomes official.

Thank you!!!
Hmm, wonder if it differs by county? I asked a provider friend (Multnomah county) hoping to get some resources for you and she said she's been required to do this since 2010.

She sent me these links and said as of 2017, these are current.

If you scroll down to DOWNLOADS (under RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES & CHILD CARE PROFESSIONALS) you can find the workbook and participant manual.
She said there are also alot of sample forms and step by step instructions that literally spell out what to have included in your plan.

https://oregonearlylearning.com/emergency-preparedness/

Hopefully that helps!
Country Kids 02:04 PM 07-17-2018
Hmm, wonder if it differs by county? I asked a provider friend (Multnomah county) hoping to get some resources for you and she said she's been required to do this since 2010.

She sent me these links and said as of 2017, these are current.

If you scroll down to DOWNLOADS (under RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES & CHILD CARE PROFESSIONALS) you can find the workbook and participant manual.
She said there are also alot of sample forms and step by step instructions that literally spell out what to have included in your plan.

https://oregonearlylearning.com/emergency-preparedness/

Hopefully that helps!
No wouldn't be by county so not sure why she has had to do it since 2010?

They are rolling it out Sept. 31, 2018 according to everything I have read in emails, classes and then the training I just took this last weekend.

It could be to what she works in-head start, or a state funded childcare.

All the providers that I have seen post on fb from around the state are gearing up for this coming into effect in Sept.

Thank you though for all the downloads and that! Will have lots and lots of reading to do
Annalee 04:47 PM 07-17-2018
I have prepared what the state requires but in the event I have an emergency, I doubt I pick up that form and actually see what step 1, 2 or 3 are. I tell my parents when they sign the emergency preparedness form emergency management approved to put in their file that my primary goal is to keep the children safe! If it's a tornado, earthquake (yes I had to make plans for an earthquack), intruder or whatever, I tell them I will act in the best interest of the children. We do practice drills but I really don't know how I will react if some of these things really happen.
LysesKids 06:39 PM 07-17-2018
I have prepared what the state requires but in the event I have an emergency, I doubt I pick up that form and actually see what step 1, 2 or 3 are. I tell my parents when they sign the emergency preparedness form emergency management approved to put in their file that my primary goal is to keep the children safe! If it's a tornado, earthquake (yes I had to make plans for an earthquack), intruder or whatever, I tell them I will act in the best interest of the children. We do practice drills but I really don't know how I will react if some of these things really happen.
Exactly; I had no clue I would literally have less than 30 minutes to get babes out of my home due to extreme flooding in 2011 (AR)... the water was nothing one minute & coming in the front door 20 minutes after (my house stood 2.5 ft off ground due to crawl space) & thankfully the back went uphill which saved us; not to mention immediate evacuation 48 hrs later due to a gas leak when they turned pipes back on.
Tags:emergency preparedness plan, emergency supplies, supplies
Reply Up