Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You do Durning the Kids Free Play?
Persephone 07:03 AM 01-29-2010
I'm just wondering what others do during free play? Do you just sit with the kids in the play area or do you go about your work (dishes, housework, paperwork...) where you can see them?
Carole's Daycare 07:32 AM 01-29-2010
A little of both. I stay in the same area watching and listening for potential meltdowns, watching for hands in the mouth etc. At the moment I am on my laptop on the couch! But I can give a hug or word of encouragement, make eye contact....It takes a while to formulate any response with all the interuptions! I will occasionally clean up the kitchen area 5 mn or check the dryer. I only give 1/2 hr to 40 mn free time in the am, MWF 9-930/45 and 2:30-3:15depending on how the kids are doing. My downstairs is laid out so I can see and hear everything whether in the kitchen or living room. We do an educational video 4:45 to pickup so I don't have to redo cleanup after the kids have cleaned up the toys. I save serious work for naptime.
misol 07:50 AM 01-29-2010
From my kitchen I can see the living room and the playroom. For the most part, I will do the dishes and then prep for the next meal or snack. Once I finish I will join them in play. I usually end up just playing/singing with my 16-month old because the 3yr old boys that I have rarely want me to join in play with them. I have learned the hard way to save my paperwork until naptime
originalkat 08:06 AM 01-29-2010
I have my desk/work area set up next to the daycare/preschool room. I do computer work, paperwork, etc...I also get other work done around the house like general cleaning, throw in some laundry, load/unload the dishwasher, get dinner going. In my opinion, that is an advantage of working at home. I keep my business very professional and schedule the day to allow for preschool activities etc...but I dont think that just because I am being paid for childcare means the only thing I can do from 7 to 5:30 is childcare. I consider myself a stay-at-home mom, a homemaker, a homeschool mom, and a working mom all wrapped into one. All of these roles mesh and coinside and must or I could not be successful at any of them.

I only have a small registered daycare home so that means I can only care for 6 children including my own. So I have 4 paying daycare children. I have the option to be licensed and accept more, but at this time this works for my goals and financial needs.
Persephone 08:07 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
A little of both. I stay in the same area watching and listening for potential meltdowns, watching for hands in the mouth etc. At the moment I am on my laptop on the couch! But I can give a hug or word of encouragement, make eye contact....It takes a while to formulate any response with all the interuptions! I will occasionally clean up the kitchen area 5 mn or check the dryer. I only give 1/2 hr to 40 mn free time in the am, MWF 9-930/45 and 2:30-3:15depending on how the kids are doing. My downstairs is laid out so I can see and hear everything whether in the kitchen or living room. We do an educational video 4:45 to pickup so I don't have to redo cleanup after the kids have cleaned up the toys. I save serious work for naptime.
Well that's how my kitchen and living room are, I can see the whole living room from the kitchen.
tenderhearts 08:47 AM 01-29-2010
I generally stay out in the room with the kids, sometimes go on the computer like now but it's right here, and I'm like a magnent to the kids, 2 of them are sitting on my feet, but it's better than them arguing, I usually mingle and help build something or read a book to one or 2, but usually where I am most of them are. Sometimes I will run and do something in the kitchen (I can see them, well half of the room) or will vaccum since that's not something I can do at quiet/nap time. Like originalcat said the advantage of being home with this job is to be able to do these other things. We have a pretty structured day and do circle time, and plenty of activities. If I need to start to prepare my dinner I usually do that at quiet/nap time cuz if I have to do it then that means I have more prep so it would be to hard to be cutting something then have to take care of something with the kids wash hands ect. so I just wait for that.
Tags:play area
Reply Up